Scheduled TAH Looking for positive recovery experiences after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for positive recovery experiences after TAH Looking for positive recovery experiences after TAH

Unread 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Looking for positive recovery experiences after TAH

Reading these forums, I keep thinking that there must be cases where recovery goes well, and you can get back to at least working from home partial days fairly quickly. I was thinking after a week, but my primary care doc convinced me that I should give myself 2 weeks. I am on the phone for calls and I work on my pc, so it is not physical labor, more thinking involved than anything else. I know that I will be bored out of my mind after 2 days of doing nothing... I should add that unfortunately, my surgery was postponed by 5 weeks as I caught the flu, then pneumonia a week before my originally scheduled surgery date (never had those before, so not quite sure how I caught them).

Thanks in advance for any advice from those who can tell me about positive experiences they have had. I know that I can't control how my body responds (this is my first experience with anything like this), but I am hoping that the power of positive thinking can help me get through this more easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Re: Looking for positive recovery experiences after TAH

Lovebeaches,
I am 4 days post TAH-BSO and told DH that if I had a ride and the ride didn't hurt like it did on the way home I would go into work tomorrow. He of course reminded me that my doc told me out for a minimum of 3 weeks and only part days at that point. I like you handle calls and computer work that demand my mind more than my body. What pain I have now is nothing compared to the insanity I'm facing doing nothing.
EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I am fortunate. Yes there is pain but much less than what I had imagined. I hope that you have a similar experience. Whatever your experience, prepare yourself for anything and be as informed as possible. There are good stories out there. Keep your head up, it'll be fine.
Hang in there!
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:46 PM

I had a TAH on 12-28-09. My recovery has been very easy, expect for a few rough days. I was doing to much physical stuff so that's my own fault. I actually asked my doctor to let me go back to job 1 after the first week. He said no of course. But job 2 he had no problems with. I work from home on a pc doing graphic design work. Nothing physical and I work at my own pace.
Staying busy had been an issue. I can't stand to sit and do nothing. I have organized all my recipes, 25 years of family photos, and planned my daughter's wedding.
I know the standard 6 weeks is a long time, but you don't want to risk not healing properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM

Hi there, I know the whole thought of a TAH is over whelming, but you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned positive thinking!!!! Its all about being in the right frame of mind! I am 36 had my TAH a year ago on Thursday the 4/12/2008 and it was a difficult op the doctors struggled, I went into theatre at 16:00, was sore just as I woke up, but the nurses keep you well medicated through the night. The next morning woke up at 05:30 and was ready to get going! Couldn't wait for them to get the cathatar (apologise for spelling) out so I could get up and wash my face. I refused to slouch and walked up right from the first step. Carrying my drips I even fetch my visitors that got lost in the hospital! By Saturday morning 09:00 I was discharged.

You will get tired, there is no doubt about that, and get good underwear cause it sometime feels like your insides are loose :-) THEY ARE NOT JUST A FEELING... Careful for sitting too long, its tender getting up if you sit long periods, and walk and move about its the best medicine!!! If you get tired take a short nap but get out there and live your life!!!! The best guide lines are your hyster sister check lists and if you have any questions or concerns let me tell you they are here to answer them for you, you have found the best support structure there is out there... everyone has been through it here and know what you are feeling and talking about! Also remember that everyones recovery is different, but not for one second have I regretted it! Yes sometime I look at babies and children and I wish I was able to experience that, but then I remember that I have quality of life now and am healthy!

After my six week check up I was back on my horses, working and jumping them! So there is difinite positive recoveries out there, I am one of them :-)

If you have any questions or concerns I am here!!!!

Remember positive thoughts, positive actions and walk and move around and read your checklists!!!! Take care of yourself, you have made the first positive action by deciding to go ahead with your op.

Good Luck and speedy recovery!!!!

Xxxx
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeaches View Post
Reading these forums, I keep thinking that there must be cases where recovery goes well, and you can get back to at least working from home partial days fairly quickly. I was thinking after a week, but my primary care doc convinced me that I should give myself 2 weeks. I am on the phone for calls and I work on my pc, so it is not physical labor, more thinking involved than anything else. I know that I will be bored out of my mind after 2 days of doing nothing... I should add that unfortunately, my surgery was postponed by 5 weeks as I caught the flu, then pneumonia a week before my originally scheduled surgery date (never had those before, so not quite sure how I caught them).

Thanks in advance for any advice from those who can tell me about positive experiences they have had. I know that I can't control how my body responds (this is my first experience with anything like this), but I am hoping that the power of positive thinking can help me get through this more easily.
18 days post op for TAH-BSO and feeling pretty good most days. Not using anything for pain, not necessary. Bored out of my mind, yes. I have a high stress physically active nursing job that I miss but am trying to savor the moments of no one paging me or not having to return a multitude of phone calls. I'm sure after week 2 you should be able to work on the phone and at your computer at least part time, napping when needed. Ask for your dr's advice on this and let your body guide you. Rest when you're tired. Best wishes on an uneventful recovery.
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks very much to shadowcat109, bkmp66, gemini35, and rosetattoo who replied to my posting. I very much appreciate hearing about your recoveries.

I know everyone's recovery is different, but I will think positive thoughts and I know that will help. I also will get myself up and moving as soon as I am able as I have read that walking is the best thing to do. I promised myself that I will be careful to not overdo it and set things back, but I just cannot sit and do nothing - it is good to hear that there are others like me!!!. Thank you!
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM

The thing to remember is that you will have hundreds of internal stitches and even if you feel fine you must not ignore the physical restrictions. And that is 6 weeks minimum....all the positive thinking in the World won't mean a thing to your insides.
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeaches View Post
Thanks very much to shadowcat109, bkmp66, gemini35, and rosetattoo who replied to my posting. I very much appreciate hearing about your recoveries.

I know everyone's recovery is different, but I will think positive thoughts and I know that will help. I also will get myself up and moving as soon as I am able as I have read that walking is the best thing to do. I promised myself that I will be careful to not overdo it and set things back, but I just cannot sit and do nothing - it is good to hear that there are others like me!!!. Thank you!
Lovebeaches,
Unfortunately, sitting and doing essentially nothing is key for at least the first week or so, and was sooo difficult for me. Catching up on reading, watching movies, (finally!) putting vacation photos in albums, napping..that's about all, oh and getting up to the bathroom frequently after drinking all that water. Occasional laps around the house and washing a few dishes now and again, then another nap. You can't just sit there but you can't really do much, so just take it slow and listen to your body. Even the 3rd week I can only manage to run 1 errand at a time without feeling sore and bloaty. I agree w/mountainwoman2, the internal stitches will take time to heal and you only have 1 chance to allow proper healing. You may feel really well but seriously, no lifting or housework until released by your dr. In fact, just sneezing or coughing pulls those ab muscles more than I had imagined!!--clutching a pillow to your middle helps a lot. May you have a safe surgery and a speedy recovery. Hugs and prayers.
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Nice topic...I needed this!
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM

I just founf this website today and now I feel like I found some people I need. I have been "researching" what to expect etc.... and not really getting a positive read of what to expect or if there is life, sex life, after surgery. I am having a vaginal hyst. and bladder repair Febl 19th and as of last night started to get scared. I read about so many on going problems women are having, lack of non painful sex, urine leakage, ..... I am a positive person and want to feel positive about this surgery and getting the bladder up where it belongs instead of feeling like I am giving birth to it!!!! LOL
Any support, help, positive thoughts are welcome. I am not normally a scared person, the surgery I can handle it is the fear of so many women having so many problems post op that is getting to me.
Best to you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register