Scheduled LAVH Already scared & feel pressured to wait... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Already scared & feel pressured to wait... Already scared & feel pressured to wait...

Unread 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Already scared & feel pressured to wait...

After many years of problems and finally having a Dr diagnose adeno, I anticipated treatment, but honestly a hysterectomy was not one. I feel confident in his reasoning for wanting to do this & am done having kids (mine are 14 & 11), but my mind is still trying to process it all.

I'm scheduled for March 12 & absolutely terrified. I'm a Para & have the ability to sit with my students that I work 1-on-1 with, so the Dr. feels (if I truly follow all the rules) I can go back in 2 weeks. Also barring I take it easy & sit/rest as much as possible.

I'm aiming to take a few days off & use spring break for the rest of my recovery, however I'm feeling a huge amount of pressure from family (not DH - he is supportive of whatever I chose) & friends that are telling me I'll need much longer to recover. WHile I understand that this may be the case for several, emotionally I don't think I can handle waiting that long. the fear has already been consuming me & I can barely sleep at night as I start thinking about it. I would do it tomorrow if I could & 68 days already feels so far away, I can't imagine what it would do to me emotionally if I waited until after our vacation in June (which I probably wouldn't even enjoy at that point)

Am I wrong or silly or even crazy to be just wanting it over with? The doctor says I should be good in 2 weeks, am I fooling myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Re: Already scared & feel pressured to wait...

These are actually two different issues. I felt much the same as you did -- the second I knew I needed one, I was like, "Gotcha, tomorrow okay?" The sooner it's done, the sooner I don't have to do it anymore was my way of thinking.

Nevertheless, I was absolutely definitely ready to wait at least a month (and it ended up being 5 to 6 weeks) to go back to work. I also work a physically undemanding desk job, and I can tell you I was NOT ready to go back in two weeks. Not by a long shot. I'm in great shape, otherwise very healthy, and recuperated in a manner that had one of my surgeons tell me that I was "breaking records," "not to overdo it," and that had her colleagues in her hospital speculating that they had some cordwood that needed stacking if I wasn't too busy.

Despite this, I was absolutely NOT READY to go back in two weeks. Granted mine was not a DVH but a TAH, but I also had ZERO adhesions, endo, adeno, nothing whatsoever like that. Aside from the removal of my uterus and the eyeballing of my ovaries which were left in place, the rest of my insides were entirely uninvolved. And I would have been on the floor had I gone back in two weeks.
Unread 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM

So I am also a para in a school district. I was planning on going back after christmas break (that would have been three weeks post op. My recovery from surgery has been fantastic, but I fell and dislocated my knee while on vicodin and then I got a massive cold. I think had I not injured my knee and had the cold I would have managed going back after three weeks. Now I am taking one more week to build up my energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM

You're certainly not "crazy" for wanting to get the problem dealt with as soon as possible! :-)

Neither are you fooling yourself. You're not the one who's saying two weeks. *Your doctor* is the one who's saying two weeks. He's not lying, either. What it seems to me that he *is* doing is to take the absolute best-cast recovery scenario and present it as the *typical* recovery scenario.

I would suggest that you seriously need to consider what happens if you get to the end of two weeks and you're physically unable to go back at that time, because that's something that's not unlikely to happen. If Plan A is "back in two weeks," then what's Plan B? Because Plan B is the one you may end up having to follow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register