Need help with Premarin issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help with Premarin issue Need help with Premarin issue

Unread 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Need help with Premarin issue

Hi all,

I went to see my Dr. yesterday and wasn't very impressed with his response. I had everything removed on 1/31 of this year. My Mother and her sister both had everything removed about the same age as me (42) and they were put on Premarin. Both have since then had mastectomies for breast cancer. I told my Dr. I didn't want to go on anything, but he said because of my age, I needed something for my bones until I was 50. I wanted to be put on Estriadol, but we only have one compounding pharmacy in the area and that is about 30 miles away. I was put on Premarin .3mg. He told me this wouldn't keep the hot flashes at bay, etc. but it was the lowest dose the pills came in. Well, 4 months later, I am starting to have hot flashes during the day. I also have Ulcerative Colitis, so I take Asacol for that. Because of the Asacol, I take quite a few vitamins, etc. because of the effects the drug has on the bodies ability to retain certain vitamins and minerals.

I currently take: Flaxseed oil, B-12, B-6, Magnesium, Zinc, Folic Acid, Vitamin E, Calcium, Multi Vitamin.

I really don't want to increase my dosage of Premarin, but don't want to deal with the hotflashes either. Does anyone have any ideas of something else I can take that will give me some relief so I can stay on the same dosage???

Thanks, Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Hi Sue!

I'm sorry that you're having an increase in your hot flashes. That can be really uncomfortable any time of year but especially when temperatures turn warmer.

Estradiol isn't exclusive to compounding pharmacies. You can get the same bio-identical estradiol in pill, patch, gel and lotion form at the regular pharmacy with a prescription. Popular estradiol products you could ask your doctor about are Estrace (pill) and Climara or Vivelle Dot (patches). Other estradiol choices are EstroGel and Estrasorb.

Here's a link to the list of Necessary Supplements While taking Estrogen which you might find helpful.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Like April Dawn said, estradiol comes in many forms. If the doctor doesn't at least let you know about estrace (or the generic) or a patch, you should try to ask. If the doctor doesn't like bio-identical and insists on Premarin only, I would get a second opinion especially considering your family history. You said you weren't impressed with him, and maybe that should be a red flag. Listen to your instincts.

Also, many compounding pharmacies will ship your prescription to your house. Mine even does it for free via UPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register