Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Surgery

I'm having a hysterectomy on October 13th. I'm not so much nervous about the surgery. It's the putting under that makes me a nervous wreck.

Any suggestions?

Thank You,

Bernice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Re: Surgery

We all get nervous about the same thing. Well, at least most of us.

I tried to focus on the fact that lots and lots of people have different surgeries every day, and mostly they have general anesthesia. Worrying will not impact anybody's outcome, it will just make you feel worse.

Focus on the great things to come once the surgery is over. I am 6 months past my surgery and I have had the best summer ever.
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Have you been put under before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2009, 07:08 PM

Sending positive vibes your way ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:29 PM

>>Have you been put under before?<<

No

Bernice
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:30 PM

>>Sending positive vibes your way<<

Thank You

Bernice
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM

I was terrified about the anesthesia as well! Here is what I did:
I talked to my doctor about it. She was very reassuring.
I spoke with the pre operative nurses at my pre op check up and told them ALL about my fears. These are the ladies who can make things happen. They noted my chart and contacted the doctors with my fears.
Then: I spoke with the anesthesiologist himself. He listened to my concerns, and my fears, which were based on my previous reactions to anesthesia (panic attack, and migraine side effects). He promised I wouldn't have the same thing happen, and he was right. He gave me a TON of anti anxiety meds prior to the surgery and prior to the administration of any anesthesia. By the time these meds took effect of me, I could have done the operation myself.!!

Communication is key! Be your best advocate. If there is osmething that will make it better for you, let everyone know about it!
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Ditto to what younghyst said. It's not as scary as you think because, honestly, you have no clue it's happening. This was my 4th time going under and the last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist asking me if I felt anything yet to which I said "no." Then, maybe 3 seconds later I said "whoa" and that was that. Woke up in ICU smiling. The nurses kept teasing me about how all I did was smile. What they didn't know was I was so happy to be alive!

They have made so many improvements in the last few years regarding nausea and other side effects. A couple of surgeries ago, I had a reaction to the anesthesia and every muscle in my body froze up and I literally couldn't move for like 2 days. I told the anesthesiologist about that this time and he knew exactly why that happened and assured me it wouldn't happen this time. He was right!

Try not to worry about it--as best as you can. You won't know what's going on and that is a good thing!!!
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM

For me, it was the best sleep I've had in a long time. I remember looking at the robot and waving to it, and then nothing until I woke up in recovery. I woke up instantly aware of the fact that I had a catheter, five minutes later I was back to sleep and woke up in my room.
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM

In a way it is an interesting experience. You just have to let them take care of you and go along, which is something we all do very rarely.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register