Autologous Blood Donation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Autologous Blood Donation Autologous Blood Donation

Unread 10-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Autologous Blood Donation

I went today to give blood to have on hand for my surgery. I didn't get a packet before I went there, but found out today that a week before giving blood (one unit) they recommend between meals - Ferrous gluconate (300 mg/3x/day) and Vit C (500 mg/3x/day), in addition to a multi vitimin with a meal. I'm having the 2nd unit drawn next Saturday and plan to talk to my DR on Monday about taking these supplements.

I don't want to become anemic during this process. Even during my heaviest periods, my iron levels have been okay. I read if you give blood within a week of your surgery, your chances of needing a transfusion are greater. When I have my pre-op appt, I'm going to mention to my DR about not really being prepared for this blood donation thing - they actually sent me to the wrong place last week.

Has anyone taken the supplements? I'm trying to eats lots of spinach and other high-iron foods. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of your other great tips - I'm definitely taking notes for me AND DH, who was a doll to sit with me while I gave blood today.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Autologous Donations

I gave blood 11 days before my surgery. A nurse where I work told me not to do it within a week of my surgery, and my doctor's nurse told me to have it done ASAP. My daughter even donated blood in case more would be needed. Luckily I didn't need any, but was surprised to learn that the blood I donated wasn't going to be of use to someone who might need it, only my daughter's could since hers wasn't an autologous donation.

Also the doctor put me on an iron supplement to take after the donation up until surgery, even though the blood bank said my iron level was good. I was already taking Vitamin C and was told that was OK.
Unread 10-26-2002, 07:04 PM
blood donation

I gave blood twice before my surgery, the last time being 2 weeks before surgery....the blood bank where I donated said I could have donated up to one week before. My doc recommended the iron supplements right up until surgery, with a caution that the supplements can be constipating.....I had lots of veggies and prunes while taking them and didn't have any constipation issues.
Dawn, the reason your blood is not used for anyone else, is that it is not put through the rigorous testing that general blood donations have to go through...since it is your blood, and it only goes to you, all the screenings don't have to be done. On that same note, I was told by my gyn office that some insurance does not cover autologous blood donation at all, some cover it only if you use it, and some it is fully covered. You may want to check with your insurance so you won't have any surprises. My insurance covered it only if it was used, and the charge from the hospital was $400.
Hope this helps you out.
FlossBoss/Molly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register