4weeks post op and not keeping food down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4weeks post op and not keeping food down 4weeks post op and not keeping food down

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
4weeks post op and not keeping food down

I'm 4 weeks post op (tah) and I am having trouble keeping food down, have been since the surgery, everyday its a battle. My Dr. keeps telling me its due to the stress my body went/is going thru. For about 10 days after my surgery all I could eat was liquids as they messed my throat up really really bad with the intubation. Even then it was hit and miss on keeping things down. Sometimes even drinking water comes back. I really don't think my Dr is taking this seriously! Anyone else ?any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Re: 4weeks post op and not keeping food down

I had this same problem for the first couple of weeks. I wad drinking ensure clear it comes in fruit flavors just to get in some protein. I also had my md give me an order for zofran for nausea which helped. I had a cat scan done just to make sure everything was ok. It showed some mild colitis. I take probitics which i think also helps. Hopefully it will pass soon. Just make sure you are taking in enough fluids. If you are dehydrated it will make you more nausous. Are you having regular bowel movements?
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM

I think your doctor should be taking this seriously. I have had a couple of nights with terrible upset stomach due to eating dairy too late at night and eating too much. Our digestive systems are still out of whack from being all moved around during surgery and we have to treat them very gently. Smaller portions of food maybe more often rather than eating 3 large meals a day. Constipation is a big problem so we're told to eat lots of roughage and fibre...lots of fruits and veggies...but those foods are maybe harder to digest so everything is a trade-off. I'm having heartburn which I haven't had since I was pregnant a millenia ago:-) But I haven't had problems keeping the food down. You need nutrition to help your body heal...if this persists I would think you need to call your doctor again and impress upon him/her just how little you are eating. Good luck and let us know how you are getting along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM

I had sugery and complications and used zofran for about 10 days. After my second surgery 12/11, I had to use zofran for about 7 days. I helped a lot and after that I was able to slowly increase my food consumption.
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Thanks ladies, its good too know its not just me! Yes I'm having regular bowel movements, I was constipated the first 2 days after they took my catheter out (b/c of existing conditions I have I had to be in hospital for 3 days after surgery). But other than that no problems with bm. Makes sense about being out of whack with everything being moved around and they had to do a lot of that as I had severe endometriosis they had to deal with, as well as the hysterectomy itself. They actually thought for awhile they were going to have to take part of my bowel but didn't,yay! Actually kept food down today so knock on wood ! I see my dr next week. Thanks for the support ladies

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register