Upcoming surgery 4/3: Question about pain meds after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery 4/3: Question about pain meds after hysterectomy Upcoming surgery 4/3: Question about pain meds after hysterectomy

Unread 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Upcoming surgery 4/3: Question about pain meds after hysterectomy

After the hysterectomy Did you have to take more pain med then normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Re: Question about pain meds after hysterectomy

That is a tricky question to answer. Generally the surgeon will send you home with a regimen of pain relievers that maybe be OTC like Tylenol or something stronger with a narcotic. Some sisters find they don't need anything more than an OTC to manage pain while others take the narcos for a few weeks. It really depends on how you feel. The key is to take what you feel comfortable with to allow your body to concentrate on healing, not fighting pain. Hope this helps!

Unread 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Thank you. I try to take tylenol in place of the pain meds right now but I know this will be a big surgery for my body and it will be under stress for a couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM

You are correct so see what the doctor recommends and if you find you don't need them that's great! But having them on hand is good just in case.
Unread 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM

I am a week and 4 days TLH post up. I got sent with hydrocodone and I started doing Ibruprofens in between for inflammation. It helped a lot. I tried to do without on day 7 because of problems going to bathroom. But after 12 hours it hurt to walk. I went to the Dr today because of possible UTI and had them refill my prescription. Because not having anything on hand was scary. Hope for speedy healing and take your meds like it says. Don't torture yourself.
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM

I had Dilaudid the first couple of days after surgery while I was still in the hospital. By the time I was released on the third day, I was doing fine on ibuprofen. I took OTC 400 mg ("extra strength") ibuprofen regularly my first week home, occasionally my second week. Everyone's different, so you're going to have to see how your body reacts to surgery.
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM

I spent 2 nights in the hospital and I took 2 pain pills, one each night. I'm on day 14 now and I've only taken 4 others since I've been home. I didn't really need them for pain but I couldn't sleep for the first week, and I thought somehow the "pain" was keeping me up.
I'm just taking ibuprofen if I need it now. I have a high tolerance for pain but I've realized that by not taking something, it could be hindering my recovery. For example, swelling...ibuprofen helps with swelling so the last two days, I've taken one 600mg ibuprofen each day, not because of pain but to control swelling and inflammation.

I've read posts from others who are taking pills every 6 hours...each person if different. It's nice to know you have them if you need them.
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM

It's been one week 5 days since my hysterectomy. The first few days I took my medication exactly as said. Around day 5 or 6 I decided to extend the time in between and for me that just wasn't going to work. Started feeling the cramping and sharp pain. My anxiety started to go up so my DH started giving me my meds as doctor prescribed and I felt better. This morning started feeling cramps again because once again I tried to slow down on medication. Everyone is different, I've read posts where sisters didn't need them after second day. That's not me unfortunately. All I can say is listen to your body. There's no need to be in pain if you can avoid it.
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:45 PM

I don’t understand why people feel negative about taking narcs. Is there a reason to avoid taking them as needed?
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateAndDonate View Post
I don’t understand why people feel negative about taking narcs. Is there a reason to avoid taking them as needed?
I took alllll of mine. Yes, there is the negative for me. Makes me constipated, but I kept taking my stool softeners and everything worked fine. I only took them when I was in uncomfortable pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register