Doc snubbed nose at HS website, unbelievable pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc snubbed nose at HS website, unbelievable pre-op Doc snubbed nose at HS website, unbelievable pre-op

Unread 04-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Doc snubbed nose at HS website, unbelievable pre-op

Armed with my list of questions/concerns and information that I'd gathered I traveled to my pre-op appointment.

The first peice of disappointing news was that this hospital does not have the equipment for lap hysters. He wanted to do a vaginal and take my cervix. I told him I wanted to keep it, and when he asked me why I told him I'd read that by keeping the cervix I would avoid kidney problems and vaginal prolapse. He seemed amused and told me that my information was incorrect, that there was no more chance of either happening with or without my cervix. I opted to keep it anyway and he seemed irritated that I was choosing the abdominal route due to twice the recovery time...still I held my ground.

I asked him about natural-bio-identical hormones to alieviate some of my symptoms...like being moody, memory loss, dry skin, weight gain, lack of energy, etc. He said that natural hormones were a waste of time because they were not proven to work and I would have to take A LOT to find any relief. He went on to say that perhaps "it was all in my head" and I should consider depression medication. AS IF!!!

I asked him to run a baseline hormone check as part of my pre-op bloodwork. He declined saying because I was only 34 it would come back normal.

He picked up on my dismay as I had tears brimming in my eyes and made one last PUSH for the ablation, which I declined.

We discussed that I did not want my ovaries or cervix removed and I believe he understood but the concent form I signed read "abdominal hysterectomy & any other procedure needed". When I asked about that last part he said it was for emergency such as kidney or bowel trouble..something like that. I'm worried he will do what he wants and take my ovaries.

I believe he is a competant surgeon, however it is very clear that we do not see eye to eye on treatment of perimenapause symptoms.

I read from one of my books a list of all the symptoms you have when you are dealing with too much estrogen. The list fit me like a T, but he said that he did not agree with the list and there were too many books being written by every tom, **** and harry to make a buck on premenapausal women. He offered to put me on synthetic estrogen. A. I do not want synthetics (which he knows) and B. I do NOT think I need anymore estrogen!!!

Lastly, he gave me a list of websites to read "GOOD" information on hormones. I added that I'd joined this website and did he know of it. And in a very snyde, condescending tone said...that he had heard of it and then gave me the list of "credible" sites to check out.

After this hysterectomy and subsequent follow-ups I will not be seeing this doctor again.

Lilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 09:22 PM

boy if that was my doctor i would be runnin out the door. that is my opinion!!! wow how inconsiderate can a dr be. well i hope the best for you and i hope he doesnt take anything you have told him not to unless he absolutely has to. that is just awful.

i have to go through my preop visit on friday. god i hope i dont go through that.

tami
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Lilly,

WOW!! I'm glad you stood your ground, its your body and you should be able to keep what you want! If I were you I would be telling everybody the day of surgery that you want to keep your cervix and ovaries, nurses, ***'t surgeon, A man, and remind your Dr.

I know alot of dr. think they know best but it is your body. High Fives to you!!!!

Belle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 09:29 PM

are you sure you want to go to him for the hyst? from your post it sounds like he is not really listening to your feelings and concerns. I mentioned to my doc that i had been surfing the web looking for info. I did say that i realise that you can not beleive every thing on the web and he said yes but you can find a great deal of info that is correct too. You asked for your hormones to be checked i am 26 and have all the signs of pre-men. so i asked to be checked just to make sure before i made my final decision the nurse gave me a little additude and said i was only 26 and they would be fine but that she would ask doc he said o.k. and i went ahead and did the test i turned out that i am "normal" but at least he took my concerns seriously. i hope that things work out for you. good luck
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Hi Lilly,

Quote:
After this hysterectomy and subsequent follow-ups I will not be seeing this doctor again.
Just my opinion, but there is no way I would let a doctor operate on me if I was treated the way you were. I find the comments, advise, and manner of the doctor appalling. Your questions and concerns are ligitimate and should be answered completely and to your satisfaction. I would have walked out of that doctor's office today and I would never go back. I suggest you get a second or third opinion before you agree to a hysterectomy.

s
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:43 PM

I would also strongly consider an opinion from another surgeon. I am 45 but still wanted to keep my ovaries if at all possible. At the pre-op visit, my doc sort of questioned why as I'll be going through menopause "soon" and ordered an FSH test, which of course came back normal. I made it very clear prior to the surgery (spoke with the doc in the OR before I was put out) that I wanted those ovaries. End result was that one was so wrapped with adhesions, cysts, and jink attaching it to the small intestine, it could not be saved. He did keep the left ovary, but a whole paragraph in my op report alludes to my insisting that I wanted to keep them unless they looked definitely cancerous, and his reply that he could not necessarily tell if they were cancerous by gross inpsection and I was aware that I might risk another surgery in the future. After all that, he did listen to me and I still have my hormones, at least for the time being.

This is a major surgery and you need to feel comfortable with your surgeon. If you decide to proceed, make your feelings WELL known before the procedure.

Best of luck!
Nan
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:44 PM

StargazerLilly, I agree with other posters that say move on. This is major surgery, and I know all about postponing it (mine was supposed to be on the 4/23 and now it will be 5/4). My doctor had an emergency come up and I was offered another doctor, but I opted out. This person will be doing some really personal things to me, I don't just want anybody cutting me open and removing my organs. Once something is out it is out, no going back. You have to, I mean **HAVE TO** trust your doctor. You are more valuble than this as are your opinions. You are getting second rate treatment. You deserve first rate! He is YOUR employee. I would FIRE his butt!
Again, I know about postponing, that is hard. But it will be far harder to deal with a surgery that was not done correctly or him doing things you do not want done.
Please think this one over.
Blessings,
carrie
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM

I have to agree with the other ladies. There is no way I would let this Doc touch me. I am so sorry he treated you that way. I know if it was me I would have had some pretty nasty things to say to him.

Hugs & happy thoughts!

Misti
Unread 04-20-2004, 09:54 PM

I tend to agree I left a gyno office that I had been going to for years , I had symptoms of bleeding and discharge since my supra cervical hysto in 1992 and they kept telling me it was ok... well when I had a clot and more bleeding that lasted more than 3 days they told me it wasn't normal and why did I think so I have since left ,gotten a second opinion,& am being treated properly I love my Dr. He respects my decisions and that leads me to respect his .
Best of luck! I know it can be frustrating,especially because you may just want to get the whole thing over with!

(mimi)
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:17 PM

I know from what i am going through post op, that post op care and doctors listening and working with you is the most important thing, the sisters are right, Im living a nitemare with my follow up and if he is acting this way before, girl you could be having the hell i am having with my doctors now..As far as the cervix, did you read post on the sister who wrote in "7 weeks", she kept her cervix and is bleeding from hormones therapy and back cramps,if you keep your cervix and have problems with this mans attitude he might not take it out afterwards...my biggest fears were cervical ca anyways, glad its all out myself..cant wait till my other problems are figured out and i can be totally healed with this surgery and get on with life..Your doctor so sounds like mine and i have had so many problems with getting them to do anything am now doing follow up care with my family practice because of my gyn attitude....make sure everything is perfect before doing this, you cant reverse it...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register