Anybody else with less reflux symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody else with less reflux symptoms? Anybody else with less reflux symptoms?

Unread 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Anybody else with less reflux symptoms?

At around 7 1/2 weeks, I started skipping my morning dose of Prilosec (I've been having to take it twice a day for the last year or two), and only taking it at night. So far skipping the dose hasn't caused me any problems. I'm wondering if it was fibroids taking up space that was making it worse, or if I just had less symptoms because I wasn't sitting at a desk hunched over a computer all day at work. I'm back at work now, so I guess I'll find out eventually, but just wondering if others got relief from GERD after removal of large fibroids/uterus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2006, 04:44 PM

I Cant Say I Have Had Gerd..but I Have Had Acid Reflux ..and So Far I Havent Had Any Symptoms..lets Hope For The Best..
Unread 07-19-2006, 05:09 PM

I have suffered from cronic heartburn for years. Pepsid is on my nightstand, in my car, my purse. Heartburn has just been a part of my everyday life. I even developed a reflux cough.

Since my surgery I have been so much better. I have actually gone a couple days without pepsid. I just hope it gets even better after my swelly belly goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM

In the pamphlet the doctor gave me, it listed GERD as sympton along with other wonderful thing.
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:02 AM

That's good to hear. I'm hoping that at the very least I can stick with one dose per day - maybe if this continues a couple of months I'll try dropping the Prilosec altogether! That would be SO great. Was anybody else able to stop their meds for reflux after hyst?
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Good Morning Sisters!!
I haven't had to take any Prilosec since surgery, either. I was even checked for GERD about 2 yrs ago and the Doc said i didn't have it. I just had heartburn FOREVER!! I took Prilosec every day for 2 years and I haven't had one in 6 weeks! Good thing, that stuff gets expensive!
Maybe it's another Perk?!?!?
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:23 AM

Me too! I was never diagnosed but I've had hearburn for years. No matter what I ate, unless I strictly followed a low-carb low-wheat/gluten diet. Since my surgery 1 week ago, I have not had heartburn once! The one night we had enchiladas I took an acid reducer beforehand to make sure it didn't happen, but other than that it's been gone! Another benefit-I have had NO lower back pain since my surgery. Even after the first couple of days of napping and reclining. And I have had lower back pain for years. My uterus was tipped backwards, now that the big guy is gone-
Unread 07-20-2006, 03:28 PM

I'm just the opposite Sisters.

The hyster stirred up my GERD or acid reflux. My gastro thinks when they filled me with gas, it pushed upwards stirring up GERD or acid reflux. The gastro put me on Nexium 40mg 2 x a day and I was significantly better in 3 days. I am following the high protein / low fat diet with smaller meals and snacking too. I stop eating several hours prior to bed and elevated the head of my bed. At 2 weeks I'm MUCH better. I go back to the gastro 8/16 for a follow up.

The gastro also thinks I've had the GERD for years prior to my surgery I was just almost symptom free, except for occasional heartburn and a nagging cough, especially upon laying down for bed. I agree, I do think I've had this for years.

I hope the acid reflux settles down and I can return to normal life soon.

But glad all of you other Sisters' GERD is gone. Maybe mine will be gone soon too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register