14 days post hysterectomy with sinus infection and heading back to work.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days post hysterectomy with sinus infection and heading back to work.. 14 days post hysterectomy with sinus infection and heading back to work..

Unread 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM
14 days post hysterectomy with sinus infection and heading back to work..

Well 14 days post op
I'm sore but it's better every day
Have a sinus / chest cold 3 days out of surgery Antibiotics don't seem to be helpful
The coughing makes my belly hurt
And the constipation, can only relieve every other day or 2
Belly bloated , can only wear stretchy clothes, which is a problem as I'm due back to work this coming Tues and it's professional clothing.

If the sinus crap would go away I think I'd feel great, hard to sleep coughing all night long

Mild hot flashes, Nothing i didn't have before surgery. 38 this year, knew it was coming lol

I'm tired easy, napping is my new favorite thing but back to work equal no more naps.

Any advice would be wonderful
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Re: 14 days post op

Having a sinus/chest cold so soon after your op is really bad luck - it's hard enough to recover from this surgery without coughing which hurts so much.

The constipation will resolve itself, you just have to watch your diet and drink lots of water. Short, regular walks will help but you may not feel strong enough yet.

Swelly belly can take a while to subside, but it will definitely get better in time.

In view of your chest cold, I think your doctor should delay your return to work as it is obviously slowing down your recovery.

Sending healing thoughts!

Unread 05-29-2016, 04:47 PM

Thank you for the wishes.
I won't see the dr again for 5 weeks
I don't know if I call, they will posy pond returning to work
He didn't seem to care about the sinus cold when I saw him 1 week after surgery, just gave me an antibiotic and sent me home. Didn't even check anything except my tiny incisions (had it done laproscopic /vaginal )

No issues down there to mention, glad
If I could fit into real clothed it would be nice thou, I'm not the kind of person who goes outside in jammies or yoga pants

I had to buy 3 pair of pants for work, 2 sizes bigger than I was wearing because of the bloating
It makes me feel bad...I haven't gained weight I just look 5 months pregnant from the bloat

I don't like it

Any advice on how to relieve that would be awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Having a cold while trying to heal can definitely be painful. Hopefully holding the pillow to your tummy when coughing has been able to minimize the pain. Extra vitamin C may be helpful. It sounds like you could probably use extra time off from work. Is this something you could talk to your doc about?

As for returning to work, I started out part-time for 3 days. I was fatigued after being there for those half days and needed those naps. If you cannot start out working part-time maybe your workplace has a couch or resting place where you could take a power nap during the day? With a cold you will likely find yourself fatiguing much sooner than you think. If my pants got uncomfortable towards the end of the day, I did end up unbuttoning them, so I made sure to wear longer blouses/tops. Also since it is summer, I have been trying to wear more a-line type dresses that are more comfortable. You could wear some type of blazer over it if your office is business dress.

Hopefully you can kick that cold quickly. Sending healing vibes your direction.
Unread 05-29-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundyrose1 View Post
Well 14 days post op
I'm sore but it's better every day
Have a sinus / chest cold 3 days out of surgery Antibiotics don't seem to be helpful
The coughing makes my belly hurt
And the constipation, can only relieve every other day or 2
Belly bloated , can only wear stretchy clothes, which is a problem as I'm due back to work this coming Tues and it's professional clothing.

If the sinus crap would go away I think I'd feel great, hard to sleep coughing all night long

Mild hot flashes, Nothing i didn't have before surgery. 38 this year, knew it was coming lol

I'm tired easy, napping is my new favorite thing but back to work equal no more naps.

Any advice would be wonderful
Thanks
Sorry about the cold - bummer. At this stage, unless you're still taking prescription meds, you'd probably be fine taking OTC cold meds that may have a sleep aid in them to help you settle in at night. I keep a tummy pillow (travel-sized pillow) handy in bed. For me, it's sneezing that hurts, and pressing the pillow against me for even pressure helps. Maybe that'll help with your coughing.

For the constipation, if you're going every other day, that's not too bad. I was also going every 3rd day, and stool softeners did nothing for me. What worked better senna based laxatives (Swiss Kriss, Sennakot - just take one tablet at first) or senna tea (Traditional Medicinal Smooth Move) which I drank every 3rd day. I bought dried prunes (ugh), prune juice (double ugh - I have to hold my nose to drink it and chase it with a swig of soda), and Fiber One cereal which has way more fiber per serving than bran flakes (tastes like cardboard, but no chaser needed), plus I'm not eating many highly processed foods. Also opting for smaller meals throughout the day. By golly, I've gone for two days in a row now!

Swelly belly isn't something you can work to get rid of unforunately - it just goes away on its own and on its own schedule. My Doc said at least 8 weeks, but reading the experience of others, it could well last longer. I too am returning to work part time on Tuesday, and I made a shopping trip yesterday to get some stretchy-waist clothes. A lot of Memorial Day sales going on right now!

Finally, if you hit a wall in your energy level, it's okay to get a doc's excuse to go back part time - and it's also okay to crash in bed as soon as you get home.

Hope some of this helps!
Unread 05-29-2016, 05:26 PM

I just saw your post about asking your doc for extra time. I had my surgery laparoscopically as well and my doc said that it would be 2-4 weeks. We all had similar things done internally and it does take that long to heal. I did not go back to work until the beginning of week 4 and even then it was part-time for a few days. I think it is worth calling your doctor Tuesday and talking to him about a few extra days out of work since you are still under the weather and not able sleep.
Unread 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM

As far as work, you'll be more comfortabke in dresses & skirts bc as the day progresses & you're more active, & even sitting at a desk, the belly will swell more. If your clothes restrict, the belly will protest more.. Bring ibrophrophen with you in case you get pains at work. I liked using an ab binder bc it held me in & I felt not as bad when I coughed w it on & especially when driving.

If you aren't on any meds, When I get sinus congestion, I take Zyrtec D. If its in my sinus & chest, I take Mucinex D. If only in my chest with a cough, then Muxinex DM. You can also ask your Dr or Pharmacist.. some like Sudafed, but I get sick on that.

As far as recovery, Magnesium, B12, B complex & C are good. Green tea, but not late in the day bc caffeine, hydrate, walks & rest when you can.

For GI system, youll have adjust your diet. No processed, starchy carbs like rice & pasta bc are binding. eat apples, prunes, veggies, nuts, seeds. I like pumpkin seeds & popcorn. Hydrate! Water, Lemon water.

Watch salt but other than that, the belly goes down when it wants to. Ice packs for swelling, heat pad for aches & pains. It does get better!
Unread 05-30-2016, 06:58 AM
Re: 14 days post hysterectomy.

Thank you ladies I appreciate your advice.
Unread 05-30-2016, 07:01 AM

Personal question. ..did you spot right away or not at all?
I woke up with it this morning
Unread 05-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Re: 14 days post hysterectomy.

I had a TAH, Just for the 1st 2 days, I had very faint spotting. Im guessing spotting from a stitch come out & with your coughing, especially if its light,,I wouldnt worry too much. If its bright red & more, then contact your Dr. EspecIally if painful & bleeding- which many times that's a hematoma but most times the body absorbs it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register