Any Regrets | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Any Regrets

I've been reading these boards for a while now and it's scary all the problems after that occur. Those of you who have had surgery -- do you have regrets, would you do it again? I would like to hear good stories too. I don't have a choice in my opinion because I'm anemic, tired all the time and generally don't feel good. I would just like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Any Regrets

Hi Robin,

I am 3 weeks post op and didn't have a choice either. In fact, I ended up having my surgery 1 month before the scheduled date because I was admitted through the ER.

I can only tell you that while there is certainly discomfort and fatigue, it is nothing compared to constant bleeding and anemia. While I still feel pretty tired most of the time, it's nothing compared to how sick I felt when I was so anemic I couldn't get out of bed. There are good days and not so good days during recovery, but at least I know I won't bleed anymore and that the worst is over. And today is a good day; I'm going for a walk!!

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY. You don't really understand how sick you felt until you feel better, and you will feel better after the surgery.

Best of luck to you,
Natalie
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Any Regrets

I would absolutely have the surgery again! Pathology report indicated I had adenomyosis. The doctors thought I had a large fibroid. I bled 24 x 7 for nine months, suffered very painful cramps, had to bring a change of clothes in case I bled through my clothing, wore dark pants all the time, was anemic and tired.

I am now 5 1/2 months post-op. Swelly belly rarely happens and I am about up to regular energy level. My clothes fit better because I lost my 12 week size uterus (created quite a belly). I don't miss my periods at all. I can make social plans without worrying if that day will be a heavy bleeding day.

To sum up, I would do the surgery again. In fact, had I known that I would feel this good, I would not have put off my surgery for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Any Regrets

No regrets, none, zilch, nada!

I was surprised that it REALLY is at least 6 weeks before I was really close to feeling like myself! Some things get easier sooner...but in the whole scheme of things....I'd do it again!

No pain...geez what a concept! In fact..I'm just discovering how much pain I was in because I'm not in pain now! I know that sounds weird but it's true!

Don't really know what the "down" side to this is!!!!!
Hope that helps with your outlook!

You'll do fine and the support here is priceless!
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Any Regrets

Robin,
I don't have any regrets. It is scary to hear some of things that go on afterwards. I only have "whiny" problems compared to some of the other sisters. I really feel bad for them. I'm thankful I haven't had any major set backs. I don't have any regrets of having my surgery. (yet) I'm looking forward to when i'm completely healed and don't have to deal with my monthly period. It's hard to imagine i'll be able to schedule vacations, seminars, or whatever and not have to worry about the period. We planned a camping trip last summer, and of course, I never knew when I was going to start, and of course I started the day we left. grrrr It was so miserable, having to go to the bathroom which was up two hills. That's just one example of when it was a pain, but I was in such pain, it's hard to imagine not to cramp and be in bed for a day or two with a heating pad on me...I'm sounding negative now..sorry...but I'm just glad I won't have to deal with that anymore! Good luck to you...and I hope you have a uneventful recovery!
Debbie
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Any Regrets

Robin,
No regrets here either. I am had surgery 2 weeks ago today. I feel pretty darn good!!
My skin color has returned, no cramping and bleeding, no fuss, no muss!!!
I would do this again in a heartbeat!!! It really was not that bad...I have not had pain meds for almost 1 week. I do take motrin for the swelly belly though. I just have to watch how much I do, and listen and give in to my body.
It helped that alot of people were and are still praying for me.

Good luck and God bless!!

Nancy
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Any Regrets

Hi Robin,
I feel great. I'm over 3 months post op and for the most part I feel much better than I did before. The best part is I have 3 less organs to worry about getting cancer. I didn't have cancer but they had to do a biopsy before surgery to confirm. It was at that time I decided to get rid of these things. I'm not going to have more children so why keep them.

take Care
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Any Regrets

Robin,
Absolutely no regrets. I had an SAH for fibroids and I'm nearly 4 weeks out. Before surgery, I was getting up in the middle of the night 2-3 times to go to the bathroom. That was gone the day after surgery. I sleep so much better now. Also, I didn't realize how full my abdomen was. I had a 16 week uterus and now I feel so light! Pain gone, no more periods and the incision looks so good, just a thin red line. Plus, the outpouring of love and concern from friends and family made me realize how much I was loved and cared for. That alone would have been worth it.
I wish you the best of luck.
Christina
Unread 10-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Any Regrets

If you would've asked me this question during the first 2 weeks post-op, I would've answered that I was seriously doubting my decision - and this is coming from a woman who has had 5 laparascopies, a laparotomy, and 2 Leeps for cervical dysplysia - all in the last 16 years! Not to mention having been on the pill, depo provera and depot lupron. Post-op I made major bowel problems and a nasty UTI. I knew that if it wasn't for those 2 problems I would have felt a ton better. But, for me, at 3 weeks I turned the corner and look and feel great. I'm now 4 weeks 3 days post-op and no one can tell I had anything done. Oh, I still have a little swelly-belly, but soon enough that will be gone too. I'm running errnads, going to dinner and concerts. I'm meeting the girls for shopping and dinner next week.
Now, let me also say from reading alot of other women's posts, that I feel I was mentally and physically prepared for the surgery. Since I had a laparotomy (same abdominal incision) when I was 24 I knew what I was in for. I also work out everyday and really made sure my abs were strong prior to the surgery. At 2 weeks I was able to sleep on my stomach and use my abs to get in and out of charis, bed, etc.
I've had migraines since I starting menstrating at 10. Starting in my early 20's I would have upwards of 20 a month. But guess what? I've gone 4 weeks without a headache! For the first time in 20 years, I've gone 30 days and not had a single migraine. That in itself is fantastic!
There is one major thing though that really caught me by surprise was my libido loss. I had both ovaries removed and just didn't realize that I would lose my ability to feel arousal or feel sexy anymore. It's gone. My dr. and I discussed having orgasms, but she didn't mention loss of libido. To me that's not an option (or to my DH either). I've only had 1 shot of estrogen and so far, no menopause symptoms, but I made need to do HRT to get my libido back. I'm only 40 and that's not going to work! And I haven't had sex yet since I'm not at the 6 week mark so I can't comment on that. But really the point I'm finally at, I feel good. And like some of the other ladies who responded to your post, I didn't have a choice - too many surgeries, too many recurring problems, too much scar tissue. I know I did everything I could to take care of the problems, but it's been 16 years and 8 surgeries later that I finally made the decision that there was no other decision. Plus believe it or not, after all that, my husband is the one who couldn't have kids. It was insane for me to repeatedly do things to maintain my fertility, when it just wasn't going to happen for us anyway...
Sorry this is so long but I hope some of it will help you make the right decision.

Marybeth
Unread 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Any Regrets

Hi Robin

I have had several complications occur since my TAH in May, but I would do it all agin. I went to the gyn April 27 complaining of very heavy periods. They did the usual exam and blood work. That very night the dr. wanted me to come to the ER for a blood transfusion. I was critically low at 5.5, which was my best part of the month. My period had stopped 2 weeks before. I didn't go but did get the 3 unit transfusion on the 29th. My surgery was on May 7th. Everything came so quick, that I didn't have time to accept everything that was happening to me. My dr. said I would not live through the surgery without the transfusion and I probably wouldn't have lived many more months if I hadn't had the surgery. I had no choices, which played heck with me.
I had a open incision among other complications, but hey, I AM ALIVE!!I did develope depression, but am dealing with it and know help is there for it. I just had gallbladder surgery 2 weeks ago, so I had lab work done. My blood count was 12.3, probably the highest in my life !!! I physically feel good. I have so much strength now that I haven't felt since I was a kid.I can walk 5 miles and not break a sweat.
So, NO I DO NOT REGRET THE SURGERY, because I am alive and my children are not motherless and my DH still has his wife of 21 years.
I know I will feel better than ever once my depression is stabelized.,
You will feel so much better once it is over. Please do alot of researching on what to expect and gather as much info. as possible. I didn't have time to do much of this, so I went in having no idea what to expect. I wish I would have known about this site before my surgery. It would have been nice to already have a support system in place.

Good luck with everything
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register