hysterectomy after Breast cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy after Breast cancer hysterectomy after Breast cancer

Unread 11-22-2009, 08:24 AM
hysterectomy after Breast cancer

Hi all w as dx with BC 2 years ago had mastectomy and recon and now on Tamoxifen
After a recent hysteroscopy it appears that I have fibroids endometrial hyperplasia and a cyst ? on my ovary .
As my mum died of ovarian cancer and my bc history it is potentially cancer

I am due to have my op in the New year as I have had 4 ops in two years and couldnt face another last one march 09...I have so many questions and am more worried bout this than my mastectomy I already feel that I have had my womanhood taken and now this !

look forward to your words of wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Re: hysterectomy after Breast cancer

Hi (((mazaroo))) welcome to Hystersisters... I'm glad you found us.

I sort of did it in the reverse order. I had the hysterectomy first (for severe prolapse), and then the breast cancer two years later and again four years later. I have not had a double mastectomy, though - I had two lumpectomies, the second one quite large, plus radiation.

From my perspective, you have already been through the worst of it. I found the breast surgery much more emotionally difficult than the hysterectomy - perhaps because I was done having my kids and because the uterus is internal and doesn't "show" whereas the breasts are right out there for the world to see. I still have issues sometimes with the fact that one of my breasts is now a lot smaller than the other - I feel like everyone notices when probably nobody does.

From what I've heard of mastectomies, they are more painful than a hysterectomy in most cases. My hysterectomy really wasn't all that painful in retrospect, perhaps because I had another much more painful surgery the following year (colectomy). The recovery wasn't anywhere near as bad as the recovery from the colectomy. My lumpectomy recovery was super easy the first time but the second one, because it involved construction of a cavity for implantation of a catheter for radiation delivery, was much more difficult. The pain level (other than during the ten days when the radiation catheter was implanted, which was pretty bad) was not too bad but it took a very long time to heal - is still painful during mastectomies or if I'm bumped there. I have no long-term discomfort from the actual hysterectomy itself.

Have you talked with your DR(s) about how you will manage menopausal symptoms afterwards, as I'm assuming you are also having a BSO (both ovaries removed)? That can be a bit of a challenge, though if you're managing the Tamoxifen all right you might be lucky and not have such severe symptoms. (I was unable to tolerate Tamoxifen at all.) It's good to have a plan in place in case the symptoms become difficult to deal with during your recovery, when you'll want all your strength and energy to heal.

Best of luck with your surgery... and I'm sorry you have to have yet another one. I know what it's like to wonder if it will ever be over.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Operation 15 JAN

hi t all ,have finally got my date for surgery .I ned some advice please .I have had Breast cancer and my mum had ovarian ,I have been advised to have a full hysterectomy as I have polyps and "something " on one of my ovaries in view of my history .Recently I am having really bad shoulder and lower back pain ...loads of gas and diarhoea and frequency urinating ........all these my mum had and I have convinced myself it is cancer !!!I am really worried about the op even though I have had a mastectomy and two attempts at reconstruction !!!! As i was ER Pos bc I take Tamoxifen ..what will happen after the op ?Will i have menopause symptoms will I com off tamoxifen ???Hope someone can help xxxxxxx
Mazx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: hysterectomy after Breast cancer

Hi again, (((Mazx))) Are you having your ovaries removed at the same time as the hysterectomy? (That's called a BSO, or bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy; a total hysterectomy is just the uterus removed). You'll need to ask your DR if you will stay on Tamoxifen or not after the surgery if your ovaries are removed. You may be switched to Arimidex or another aromatase inhibitor, since they are slightly more effective at reducing recurrence rates than Tamoxifen in women who are postmenopausal.

The symptoms you're having could be lots of things, that's what makes it difficult. Is a gyn oncologist doing your surgery, or if not, have you gotten a second opinion from one? That might help you feel more informed and in control going into the surgery.

Good luck!

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register