Questions for sisters that had their ovaries out too. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for sisters that had their ovaries out too. Questions for sisters that had their ovaries out too.

Unread 08-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Questions for sisters that had their ovaries out too.

I see so many positive responses from women that kept their ovaries. Is there anyone out here that had both ovaries removed and is feeling great? How were the initial menopause symptoms? did they hit right away? I am so afraid of the depression and lose of libido I keep reading about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I had my ovaries out too. But I started on a hormone patch the day after surgery. I have not noticed any menopause symptoms. My libido seems to be better than prior to the surgery, but I am only about 3 weeks out. I am not depressed now, if it is possible, my mood seems to have improved Sorry I am not more of a help.
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Hi there,

I too had both of my ovaries removed, but am not able to take HRT--I take Black Cohosh twice a day instead. Although initially depressed (I must add that I trend toward depression anway), it has been two months and the depression has lifted! I truly feel like my old self in many respects.

As for menopause symptoms, the Black Cohosh has been fairly effective at controlling nights sweats and general mood swings, but I still am troubled by hot flashes. And they pretty much did hit right away, for me anyway.

As for the libido, I too was greatly concerned about that--I am happy to report that I have not had any difficulty in that area. If anything, it has improved! I pray that you will have a positive experience, and I hope that you will keep us posted.

I wish you the absolute best for an uneventful surgery, and an speedy recovery--I will be thinking of you.

Sincerely, Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I had both ovaries out, I am not on HRT, and so far, I am holding my own. I do have some "warm moments", I do experience vaginal dryness, (KY always in arms reach), libido, is still there, (although I cannot be the one to start, once I do get started all is well.). and finally the big O is still there as well, not as strong, but, still there.
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks gals.
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Looking-

Hi! I am only 8 days out, but I had a LAVH/BSO. I started estrogen replacement therapy the day I got home from the hospital and I have been fine for the most part. I use a patch, so it's easy to adjust *if needed*, and I started lower than my prescription called for to do a 'start low, go slow' approach. Well, I did a silly thing and changed my dosage b/c someone said I was being really moody...I know, it's silly, and I have learned my lesson!!! I just took it too personal and over-reacted... ANYWHOO! I have had probably 4 hotflashes total, no night sweats, INcreased libido, and I feel happy! My only complaints are that I have trouble sleeping at night and I can be a little bit sensitive (emotionally) sometimes, but I have learned that it's just my body trying to adjust and there's no need to go changing meds b/c of one crazy day! All in all, I am incredibly happy and feel that this is the start of a better version of myself. I was constantly in pain, and having hormone issues b/c of endo and polycystic ovaries, so this is NOTHIN' in comparison! I just can't wait to get healed so I can really go strut my stuff! I hope that you have a wonderful outcome and hope that you feel better soon!

Love,
Jennifer
LAVH/BSO 8/20/08
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

I had one ovary out 10 years ago at age 23. The other removed at my hysterectomy. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It had caused me nothing but problems for 17 years. When it was removed it was attached to my abdomen and my bowel along with 3 good sized ovarian cysts on it.

I haven't had much for symptoms. I started a really low dose hormone patch the day I came home from the hospital.
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Hi!
I had both my ovaries removed as well. I was so worried about the affects my body would have after surgery. All I could think about was how I was going to feel. Was I going to feel hot flashes? How was my body going to change? So far I have to say it has not been so bad. I too had a patch the day after surgery and have only had one hot flash. It wasn't so bad. As for the libido, I'm only three weeks out so I can't really say yet on that one.
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:02 AM

I had ovaries only out as opposed to a hyster to deal with my endo, I'm five weeks out, not HRT, feel fabulous, no menopause symptoms yet and all my pelvic pain is gone, it's like I rewound the clock and never had endo. (I'm 42)
Unread 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Hello, I had both ovaries out, and I am not on any HRT, my Doctor is going to discuss this with me 6 weeks post-op, says I may not need it.
I've been feeling good, just get a little warm sometimes, but it doesn't last long, and I've been a bit weepy, but I figure that's due to the surgery post-op feelings, nothing that I can't handle though. As for the libido, well, I feel like getting friendly again with my DH, I'm almost 3 weeks post-op, and realize that I cannot do anything til I get my Doctor's okay, but at least I have the feelings there! LOL
I guess everyone's body reacts differently, so It's not something you can predict.
All the best with your surgery, take one day at a time during your recovery.

Vicki
TAH/BSO due to large fibroids, heavy periods, anemic

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register