who had adeno and kept the cervix ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

who had adeno and kept the cervix ?? who had adeno and kept the cervix ??

Unread 08-27-2015, 11:02 AM
who had adeno and kept the cervix ??

Hi
I have Adeno and endometriosis and schedule my surgery in 2 weeks
apparently I have adhesion of bladder to uterus and my doctor said that my bladder Might get injured during total hysterectomy and its better to keep the cervix to minimize the bladder injury ... I wanted to know if any of you had specially adenomyosis and kept the cervix??? did you have pain after surgery? did you had to do a second surgery?
I really need answers from someone who kept the cervix and had adeno
Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Re: who had adeno and kept the cervix ??

Hi mori69 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site. I cannot answer your question, as my surgery was for something different, and I lost everything (no choice).

But, we have lots of ladies on this site. Hopefully one that has had adeno and kept her cervix will see this post and respond.

Unread 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much marestail.. I have to see my doctor on friday so I appreciate if someone could answer to my question
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mori69 View Post
Thank you so much marestail.. I have to see my doctor on friday so I appreciate if someone could answer to my question
thank you
I cannot offer any personal insight as I did not keep my cervix. My adenomyosis was diagnosed in pathology. I can make a suggestion- if you go to advanced search and use the words: adenomyosis kept cervix -you will find some recent posts. If someone does not see this post you might try to reach out to the particular user via private message. Just a thought... Good luck on your journey
Unread 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM

Me me me!!! (waves hand high!!)

I had adenomyosis, 20-week pregnancy size uterus. And I kept my cervix (and ovaries).

I went to FIVE doctors before I found one who not only agreed to keep my cervix, he wanted to. He took it as a personal challenge, saying that he's never not been able to save a cervix when he's told the patient he can.

He said he'd make the best decision once he was in there regarding cervix and ovaries, but he wanted to preserve them. I happily woke up only missing a uterus/basketball.

He did it laparascopically, with 4 tiny incisions, and a 4" bikini cut incision. Turns out, my uterus was just too big and dense to get out of the small incisions, which was fine with me.

BTW, my doctor was a urogynecologist, so I trusted him with respect to his decision regarding helping preserve pelvic floor support. Yes, there's a lot of debate about whether that's the case or not, but you cannot get your cervix back.

I firmly believe in keeping something that's healthy.

I was having bladder issues also, mainly incontinence. He used a cytoscope during the procedure and determined my bladder was healthy and that the incontinence was likely caused by the heavy uterus/watermelon.

Healing was a breeze. A super peaceful experience. I can't describe it any other way.

The only healing issues I had:

1) Because of the laparoscopic gas, I had shoulder pain when I first woke up, which was alleviated upon walking. By the time I left the hospital (within 24 hours), that pain was gone.

2) For about 2 weeks, I had stomach pain/soreness. Best way to describe it is, it feels like you did a huge ab workout, and your muscles feel really sore. Only when laughing, coughing, sneezing. Laughing was the worst, and my family wasn't helping...lol. I kept having to tell them to stop making me laugh.

3) Re: Incision sites: Dr. used Dermabond, so no stitches. I was instructed to shower, but just let water run over them. I wore loose sundresses for the first couple of weeks, with the mesh panties they give you at the hospital, rolled down to hipster style. By the 3rd week, I was back in regular clothes.

4) I did need transfusions after surgery, 4 hours worth. Lost a ton of blood during surgery, and I came in really low. BP came down very low during transfusions (like, 60/38), but bounced back in the morning. Took me a couple of weeks after coming home to feel fully present again, as I did have fatigue as my red blood cells rebuilt. Like, I would feel terrific, then hit a fatigue wall, then great again.

5) Pain meds: Was prescribed....oh gosh, can't remember, but it's a major one....I only took it for a couple of days, as I just didn't need it.

6) Sleeping: Because I'm a stomach sleeper, I put two king-size pillows alongside my body each night, under the covers, so I could roll over to either one. Very peaceful way to sleep. Slept 8 hours straight each night.

My parents (over 80 years old) drove in, 5 hours away, for the surgery (I'm 53), as they were so nervous. In their day, hysterectomies meant 6 weeks in bed, in complete misery. They kept remarking that they couldn't believe I was sitting cross-legged, yoga style on the couch, eating sandwiches, wanting to go out for lunch, talking away, by the 3rd day.

I live alone, in a 3-story home. I was afraid of the stairs, the shower, etc., and my doctor reassured me I'd be fine. He was right. I walked out of the hospital (no wheelchair), straight up 2 flights of stairs, straight into the shower.

3 months out, and my body is so....at peace. I keep forgetting that I even had the surgery. I do have some scars, and I do have numbness above my bikini incision, which he says is normal. Doesn't bother me at all.

Please read as much as you can as you make this critical decision.

I'm editing to add: I haven't had sex yet, as I'm single. But I've done some....self-exploration, lol. Everything inside feels the same. Moisture level, etc.

I have not had any bleeding, but some who keep their cervix have a bit of spotting here or there. You will need to go in once a year for a pap smear.
Unread 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM

I wasn't diagnosed with adeno until post-op, but I had it and still have my cervix and ovaries. Like Summer2015 mentioned, if you keep your cervix and at least one ovary, there's a small possibility of mini periods. I'm over a year out and I've had no mini periods or any other issues at all.

My surgery was abdominal and going into it, my doctor wanted to preserve my cervix as long as she could see it was healthy.

Since you also have endo, I hope you have a doctor who's skilled in removing all the endo tissue. I'm not very familiar with that, but there's always a concern that endo or adeno is growing on the cervix (since that is part of the uterus) and if any is left behind, it may cause problems down the line. I guess I was lucky in that my adeno wasn't on my cervix.

I had minimal pain after surgery and took Percocet for a few days but by day 5 post-op, I was only on OTC meds as needed. I had an uneventful recovery and once I was fully recovered, everything has been great (including sex life with DH).

Best of luck!
Unread 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Gee, I'm thinking I'll keep my cervix if the adenomyosis hasn't affected it. I heard it serves no purpose, and I won't need Pap smears anymore, but if it's healthy, why bother it?
Unread 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH SISTERS
I will do my surgery in 5 days all you said will help me a LOT .. cause I red papers that proved that for adenomyosis everything shoudl be out cause keeping cervix will give you pain in the future ... my Doctor denied and I was confused so there are some cases like you that kept the cervix without problem
THANK GOD

thank you again for your responses
my surgery in 5 days ... I have to say I'm scare
m
Unread 09-08-2015, 03:49 PM

My gynecologist thinks I have adenomyosis and also recommended keeping the cervix. She said she would only remove the cervix if I had a history of abnormal pap smears, which is not the case. When I asked why it's better to keep the cervix, she said it's a simpler procedure with a shorter recovery time. (If you look at TLH vs LSH, hospital time is 1-3 days for the former versus 1 day or less for the latter, and recovery time is 2-3 weeks for the former and 1-2 weeks for the latter.) That convinced me.

My hysterectomy is in two weeks. I worry that leaving the cervix in might cause complications down the line, but I have a lot of confidence in my doctor, and I think she recommended the best method. By extension, I think your doctor also knows what s/he's doing. Good luck!
Unread 09-08-2015, 05:23 PM

Thank you so much bleunoir
I'm just scared cause I red that cervix could have adeno as well and I could not be pain free ... but I think for now I will go with what they proposed. if I will have some pain well I will do a second surgery in a year or two But as you said I have to trust them and go with what Drs suggested
I wish you the best for your surgery
keep in touch

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register