post op lsh/bso 6 days concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op lsh/bso 6 days concerns post op lsh/bso 6 days concerns

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
post op lsh/bso 6 days concerns

Hi
Feeling like I need some support please. I had my LSH/BSO on wed May 21, today is Tues May 27. How much should I be doing? I do not feel real great, upset tummy today. I have not taken any pain meds since friday after sx. Pain level not bad, but tummy still quite swollen, how long after procedure does this usually last? Kinda nauseaus this morning. Having BMs, but it took three days of laxatives to do the trick. Should I still be resting alot? feel soooo guilty. My husband very helpful and supportive, but I feel like I should be doing more. Doing a little lite housework, dishes, laundry ect. Still napping during the day. Is this normal? Maybe I am expecting too much, I feel like I should be further along in my progress. MD says I will be amazed at how quickly I recover compared to tubal pregnancy and c-section surgeries, but I was so much younger then. In my twenties, now I am fifty. I was quite active prior to surgery, but was hoping to feel better by now. Any one with same experiences? Would love to chat. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Honey, I say rest. I had a TAH on the 20th and I went to Target with my mom this morning to pick up some things for the kids and I am exhausted. I even rode on one of those motorized carts. I have been feeling guilty too about not helping but my dh keeps telling me that he would rather me take the time that I need to recover and get it right the first time and not end up back in the hospital because I over did it. Rest and let your family take care of you for a while. If nothing else they will learn to appreciate all that you do. Take care of yourself and allow yourself the time you need to heal. Even though you were not cut open like I was you still had the same work done inside that I did.
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM

vmw72
thank you so much for you kind words. I guess I am just being hard on myself. good luck to you in your recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM

just listen to your body and only do what you feel you can. some lsh ladies recover very quickly and some dont...its nothing to feel bad about. your stomach ache is probably from the laxatives...can you call you dr for something that wont upset your stomach?
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Remember that healing from major surgery is hard work. Even though it may seem like you're not doing much, your body is expending alot of energy for the healing process. Take it very easy and your strength will come back to you. I've had two c sections, and it took longer to recover from the hyst. You only get one chance to recover, so don't feel like you need to rush.
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Oh, my...... As the other (((sisters))) have put it so well, it's your time to heal now. The major difference between the LSH and a TAH is the lack of an actual incision to remind you that you've just had major surgery, so you can be tempted to do things you shouldn't .

Laundry? Nope. If they bring you a basket you can fold the washcloths, but that's the extent of it. You shouldn't be bending, reaching, twisting or lifting. Ditto on cooking, dusting, and the worst one of all.... (insert ominous music here, please ).

Until you're healed, just sit back and become one with the dust bunnies. Name them if you feel you must -- but don't do any housework. There's no such thing as "light housework" -- it's all off limits right now.

The dust and dirt will wait. Trust me! But your recovery will not.

Rest, walk, drink your water, eat healthy foods.... That's your mantra now. All my best for a speedy recovery.
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:49 PM

Oh honey, I am 13 days post op and still spending the majority of my days in bed! You have a lot of internal healing going on, and it is very important to take it easy. That means no lifting, bending, even standing too long. Let others take care of the housework, your job right now is to heal. I feel a little guilty too, just lying in bed while my DH does all this work, but its part of the recovery process. Take it easy, and take care!
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:52 AM

you ladies are so wonderful for reminding me of the things I should already know. I do feel that with such small incisions there cannot be too much going on inside. but I am reminded of all the ligaments and such that were cut to remove uterus, tubes and ovaries. Thank you so much. I am very fortunate to have a very supportive husband who is doing all the cooking, running to the store, ect.
While I am here, how long after surgery does one wait for HRT? Being kept up at nite with pretty good nite sweats, though not having hot flashes during the day so far, thank goodness. I stopped HRT before my surgery and after my ablation due to the pathology showing some abnormal pre cancer cells. But feel it is safe to resume now. Any suggestions?
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:52 AM

You should be resting. I didn't do much the first two weeks. After that I was exhausted just doing the simpliest thing. I'm on week five and I'm finally feeling human. Don't push yourself as you risk hurting yourself.
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
day 7 post lsh/bso

well, today is day 7. feel a bit better today.!!! I think all the laxatives have worked their way thru and a pretty normal BM this morning, not so crampy in the bowels thank God. Swelly Belly remains a constant reminder to take it easy though. So grateful for all your help and mostly support. Plan on upgrading my membership as a thank you gesture. Could not have come this far emotionally without you all. I know there might be tough days ahead but the end is in site. Yeah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register