How long in the hospital?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long in the hospital?? How long in the hospital??

Unread 10-04-2004, 06:43 PM
How long in the hospital??

what is the usual length of stay in the hospital following and abdominal hysterectomy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2004, 06:51 PM

I was in three days. Had the TAH/BSO at 10 am - they had me walking by nightfall. Morphine pump the whole first night - then Toradol by I.V and pain meds by mouth. Nothing to eat other than clear liquids for the entire time.

I went in on Wednesday and home on Sat. morning - but I think I could have gone home on Friday - but the insurance agreed to the three days.

I think you will find that 3 days is about average on this site.

Maria
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:53 PM

Thanks Maria...did you need a catheter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2004, 06:53 PM

Hello,

I had a TAH around 10:30 or 11 a.m on Wednesday and was released to come home at noon on Friday . I was so happy to be home and in my own bed .

Good Luck !

Love & Hugs,
Michelle
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:55 PM

Thanks Michelle....this sight has been a great help to me
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:55 PM

I went in Monday morning, spinal/epidural combo. I was told I could eat after surgery, but didn't feel like it, bite here, bite there. I was sitting up later in the day. Had catheter and IV entire day so did not get up and walk. Just chair to bed. Tues. morning out came catheter and IV and I started to walk. Tues. evening DH walked me outside in the fresh air. I was released Wed. morning as I was passing gas, walking, and was eating and drinking. Again, everyone is different, and every dr. is different. Also, because I didn 't have small children at home, and a DH who was going to be home to watch me, may have been a factor in my release.
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:56 PM

Mimi

I had a TAH in May. I had severe anemia due to adenomyosis and fibroids. I also had a cyst removed off of my right ovary. My cervix was taken.
I only stayed 2 nights. Surgery on a Friday afternoon(2:00), in recovery at 5:30, then moved to a room until 4:00 Sunday. My dr.said there wasn't any more they could do for me at the hospital, then I could do for myself in the comfort of my own home.
Make sure you are really able to go home when they go to release you. My incision had been bleeding and changed 3 times that day, before being discharged. The nurse never notified my dr.about it and he was in the ob. area all day on call. The next morning I had to be taken to my dr's office 45 minutes away to have the staples removed due to a hematoma. This could have been taken care of before ever leaving the hospital.
Insurances don't want us to stay for long in the castle if they can get away with it.

Peggy
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:57 PM

I messed up. I went home at 4:00 on Sunday.
Unread 10-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Thanks Peggy

im fortunate that my mother is a nurse and is coming to my house to take care of me....Im so worried about the whole thing that im not sleeping....i know i should relax but just cant
Unread 10-04-2004, 07:33 PM

You will be fine Mimi. It wasn't bad at all in the castle. I had 4 c sections using the same incision line, so that is why I ended up with the hematoma. I didn't get sick or have pain or feel bad at all in recovery.When I woke up in there I actually looked up at the clock and said"When is my dr. going to do the surgery?" It all went so fast. The nurses were so nice to me and came whenever I rang for them. I had a morphine pump throughout the first night until my dr. came in at 7am and took it away. He said I didn't need it anymore. I was then given pain meds by mouth. Just be sure to get pain medication as needed. No reason to hurt if you don't have to. You will be in good hands in the castle and home with your mother there with you.
When is your surgery? My dr. told me to take 2 benedryls at bedtime the week before I had surgery, so I would be well rested. It did the job.
I will say ers for you that your surgery and recovery goes smoothly. Don't worry. It will be ok.

s to you too.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register