Totally Freaking Out!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Totally Freaking Out!! Totally Freaking Out!!

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Totally Freaking Out!!

I have known I was going to have my surgery for almost a month and have not been really nervous until yesterday. After my pre-op, I got really freaked. My surgery is on the 20th of June. I am 33 and have 3 kids but still wasn't sure if I wanted more. Now I guess I have a final answer. Oh well. I was blessed with 3 healthy kids. My family and I had to cancel or Disney trip this summer because of my surgery so I feel totally bad about that. I have never been in the hospital other than having kids. I have had out patient surgery before and I bounced right back. But this is different. Is there anything I can do to stop FREAKING OUT??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Totally Freaking Out!!

Hi ashorypie!

I am having a TAH/SBO on the 20th too! I have been diagnosed with uterine cancer, but I caught it early, so once the hyster is done, so should the cancer. I also had heart surgery in 99 to replace my mitral valve. It was not bad at all. Having the flu was far worse than the surgery or the recovery.

It is the anticipatory anxiety that gets to us. I keep asking all my friends who have gone through this 1,000 questions every day. I truly believe we will do fine. Don't feel bad for taking good care of yourself; your children need you. Disney will be there next year too. You are the priority this year! We are all anxious, but just take deep breaths and tell yourself that you are doing what you need to do to take care of yourself.

I am sure there will be discomfort and pain to come, but you have had three children, so you can handle it, no problem! I am just stubborn enough to not let it bother me. And with surgery, each day you feel better, things get easier and then you will wonder what all the fussing was about.

I am not telling you to be anxious, you will be, but that is a good thing because you are taking this seriously. I am anxious too; it's just normal. Meanwhile, just try to stay busy.

Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes, and I will do the same. I am having mine done in Rochester, NY. Where are you?

I wish you all the best, and I will talk to you after we are both home. I should be home on Sat, June 23 and will try to post if I can. Good luck!!!!!!!

Barb
Unread 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Totally Freaking Out!!

You are not alone with these feelings. I was very nervous as well, and never had a major surgery before. I felt better once I realized I needed the surgery, knew it was the last resort, and talked to my dr who answered all my questions.

Once I had all this behind me, and settled in my mind, I got busy preparing for my surgery by getting things done for my 6-8 week post-op Princess recovery.

Here is a link from our Pre-op articles on fear and nerves:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_192561.htm

I hope this helps some.

Best wishes on a successful surgery and recovery.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Totally Freaking Out!!

Hi, I am having my hysterectomy on the ssme day as you are. i have had other surgeries.Its not so bad. Be sure you read as much as you can about your surgery and ask your Dr all of the questions you can think of.
There is a pre-op site that has lots of good information.
You are in the right place
Take care
Unread 06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Totally Freaking Out!!

big 's ashortypie, to panic is normal, I'm 11 days poste now and I swear I was ready for the padded room beforhand. as other sisters have recomended read, read then read some more, I also found it usefull to note down anything that I read that I would need to ask Doc.
Perhaps you can plan your trip for next year without the worry of 'ladies problems' holding you back
Much Love sent and will be thinking of you
Lesley xx
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Totally Freaking Out!!

Hi ashortypie! Completely understand how you're feeling!! We actually had a Disney trip in the plans for October but thanks to my surgery I won't have any more vacation time so we, too, had to cancel.. broke my heart. Just think though, you can make the trip next year, you'll probably feel up to it even more! I've been in so much pain that I know if I didn't have the surgery and we went I wouldn't be worth the ticket to get in!!
Unread 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Totally Freaking Out!!

Whenever I got nervous, I just concentrated on the great outcome which I hoped to have from the surgery (and I got it!). Just think how great it will be to plan trips in the future and not have to worry about whether Aunt Flo will be there with you! Don't feel bad about the cancelled trip, this is something you simply have to do, and your life will most likely be the better for it.
Unread 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Totally Freaking Out!!

I am right there with you. We had plans to spend 2 weeks in St. Louis this summer and had to cancel. The boys are now asking to go to Disneyland for Christmas since our other vacation got canceled. We will see.....

There are several other threads about freaking out ... Waiting... Waiting .... Waiting and Restless are both about those of us going in next week and suddently freaking out about everything. I go in 2 days after you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashortypie
I have known I was going to have my surgery for almost a month and have not been really nervous until yesterday. After my pre-op, I got really freaked. My surgery is on the 20th of June. I am 33 and have 3 kids but still wasn't sure if I wanted more. Now I guess I have a final answer. Oh well. I was blessed with 3 healthy kids. My family and I had to cancel or Disney trip this summer because of my surgery so I feel totally bad about that. I have never been in the hospital other than having kids. I have had out patient surgery before and I bounced right back. But this is different. Is there anything I can do to stop FREAKING OUT??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register