What it means to have the cervix removed too | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What it means to have the cervix removed too What it means to have the cervix removed too

Unread 06-28-2008, 11:21 AM
What it means to have the cervix removed too

Hi all,

I have a TAH scheduled for July 22 and found out that my cervix is also to be removed. What does that really mean and what are the implications in the long run for having the cervix removed? The doctor will attempt to keep at least one ovary so that's good news!

Overall, I'm nervous and getting scared. Is the hospital uncomfortable? I have bad reactions to anesthesia and to IV pain meds so I'm guessing I should tell the intake person that info? What does that mean then as far as being able to have pain medication - will I be able to?

This site is a Godsend - thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM

I had everything taken out and I am glad. I now don't have to worry about ovarian or cervical cancers or ever have a pap smear again. I guess I am in menopause now, but I haven't had any symptoms yet (I had an estrogen patch when I woke from surgery). I am 4 days post-op and feeling really good.
Our hospital only has private rooms and you can have someone stay all night if you want. It was nice to have my husband nearby the whole time, and not to be woke up when the nurses had to work on a roommate.
You should be sure the hospital knows about any allergies or reactions that you have had to meds at your pre-op. Hopefully they will listen. I would be good for you to have an advocate there for you who know your history.
I hope all goes well with your surgery & recovery, God Bless
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM

I had my cervix removed, too. They just sew it up and that's called a vaginal cuff. I haven't noticed any difference at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I dont have my cervix either. Im glad my cervix pathology came back as cervicitis and endometriosis of the soft tissue.
I am very allergic to pain meds and my stomach hates meds. I had a dilaudid pain pump. I used it 4 times only. I also has torodol ijjected in my IV a few times and it help me not be so uncomfy. I liked it and had no problem. I can tell you i had the On Q Pain Buster Ball for my incision. It gets inserted under the skin and it numbs the incision with a lidocaine type medicine. I was numb and barely had pain at all. My surgeon never used it and i gave him the info and he made arrangements to find out how to useit and he did. I have no regrets about it. The web site it www. askyoursurgeon. com if you wanna know more PM me...
Unread 06-28-2008, 01:52 PM

I had my TAH BSO three weeks and three days ago. They took the cervix.

I have MANY problems with medicines of all kinds, even antibiotics. You discuss it with the doctor, the anethesia doctor and the people at the pre op meetings at the hospital.

I cannot take pain medicines. I tried once again the day of the surgery, the pump with demeral. I can't have morphine for sure. Well, I got ill with Demeral, had to stop. I made it after that will no pain medicine.

There are lots of diff. medicines that you can try for pain. Just talk to the doc about it. Just tell them your fears and problems. They really will help you.

The hospital is fine. Just tell the doctor you want a room to yourself in case your hosp. still has rooms with two beds. I think they don't do that much anymore due to all the new germs now.

Do you have someone to stay in the hosp. with you? That is very good to do. Since I can't have several medicines, but hubby was there to watch over me and make sure no mistakes were made, like adding the wrong antibiotic to the IV.

This is a great site for learning, it will help you. Sure helped me.

I am so glad I had my surgery!!!! Best wishes!!!
Unread 06-28-2008, 04:10 PM

i agree...try to get a private room. Request at pre op.
My room had one bed and my hubby stayed on this couch thing they had. I actually had insomnia after my surgery and couldnt sleep. It wasnt bad at all at the hospital, and i hate them. I did notice that the night shift nurses werent as attentive though where i was.
I cant take all kinds of meds either and i was scared to use anything. I took no pain meds at home at all.
Good luck....see you on the other side.
Unread 06-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Your uterus looks like an upside-down pear. If you imagine that the top of the pear is your cervix (the lowermost part), you can visualize the difference between a total hysterectomy (cervix and uterus removed) and a partial hysterectomy (also called supracervical)with the cervix left intact. Other things to add into the surgery include oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) and salpingectomy (removal of the fallopian tubes). When the surgeon does a total hysterectomy, he creates a vaginal cuff by removing the cervix and sewing the end of the vagina shut. I've found that a lot of people think a "total hysterectomy" means removal of the uterus, tubes and ovaries, but it doesn't!
Unread 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM

I had a LAVH... they took my cervix... I have not missed it.

My mother had a uh, abdominal hysterectomy, 30 years ago, they took her cervix, and she hasd not missed hers either.

Hospitals are uncomfortable, but if you pack your toiletries well, (hand sanitizer, face wipes, toothbrush are especially handy, imho, in addition to the usual stuff) and bring along somethign to do, even if that somethign is just to chew gum, you can mostly ignore them, unless your have some issues with staff, or a complicated post op time...
Unread 06-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Thank you so much for the email and the information!!! I have read horror stories from women who say that having the cervix removed made their bladder drop so that then needed some type of bladder sling (??) surgery too.

I'm planning on bring some books to the hospital too. I don't have any games or anything like that but I may borrow a friends Game Boy (although I don't really play games, but who knows - the hospital may drive me to it ).

Again, thank you very much!
Unread 06-29-2008, 03:03 PM

Oh - and thank you to about the information regarding meds! I will have my mother with me and probably my room mate almost all of the time. You know - the other thing I didn't think about was the antibiotic. I'm allergic to several so thank you for that excellent pointer too.

What an amazing Website! I feel so blessed to have found it.

Thanks all and for those of you who have recently had the surgery - may you have a fast recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register