Some Pre Op Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some Pre Op Questions Some Pre Op Questions

Unread 08-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Some Pre Op Questions

When you are having a TAH do they still put the gas in your tummy? Wondering if I have to look forward to more than just bowel made gases. Also... do they put the tube through your nasal passage to your stomach? And if they do..PLEASE tell me they do it AFTER you are asleep. It will be a fight to the death if I'm not asleep during the insertion and the take out! On the norm; how long is the bikini incision? Thanks in advance everyone...this site is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Some Pre Op Questions

I had a TAH, but I do not know if they still put gas in your tummy. I DO know that the gas pains I had were unlike any normal gas pains I ever had. They were terrible. I don't know if the tube went down my throat or down my nose, but I can assure you I didn't feel a thing because I was OUT. My bikini cut is 6-1/2" long and I had 24 staples. The incision is under my pubic hair line so when the hair grows back it won't be seen. I have seen some women post their cut was longer. I stands to reason that plus size princesses would need a longer incision. I've seen them posted on here from 6"-8".

Good luck to you,
Rene
Unread 08-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Some Pre Op Questions

Hi~

Gas is always inserted during abdominal surgeries and the intubation tube as well will be inserted down your throat only AFTER you are no longer aware of what they are doing to you. You won't know/feel a thing!

Fortunately, it turned out I didn't need a TAH, I had an LAVH/BSO this past Monday with 4 small incisions. I know so many women who have had a TAH and the incision generally ranges from 6-8" as passthesalt has already stated.

Best of luck to you and wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Some Pre Op Questions

All the tubes are inserted after you're asleep like the tube down your throat and the catheter. I don't know that they use gas to expand you with a TAH since you're wide open and it's not really necessary. I didn't see any mention of it on my surgical report.

I armed myself with all sorts of remedies for gas and constipation. My gas pains were definitely from my bowels. And I think they hurt because they're causing things to press on some really sore areas inside you. But I didn't have a whole lot of problems with gas. When I did have a pain it came and went fairly quickly.
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Some Pre Op Questions

Hi, I had a tah/bso and was intubated after I was asleep. I think that it usually is done that way - too many of us would probably fight it otherwise

No extra gas was pumped in for my surgery. As said, with an abdominal opening, it wouldn't have stayed there anyway. I did have some pretty bad gas pains, moving all the bowels around during the surgery caused it. I started walking the morning after my surgery and walked as often as possible. That helped a lot with getting rid of the gas.

My incision was about 6 - 7 ". It was just at the hair line and is barely visible now.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 08-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Some Pre Op Questions

Also... do they put the tube through your nasal passage to your stomach

No, this is only done for abdominal surgery relating to the bowels mostly, it is called an NG (Nasogastric) tube.

The tube in your throat is called an Endotracheal tube and is almost like being put on a ventilator during surgery...it is inserted AND removed while you are asleep, you may just have a side effect of a scratchy throat for a few days.

Best wishes,

lesuregal

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register