LAVH Overdoing it? (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overdoing it? (children mentioned) Overdoing it? (children mentioned)

Unread 05-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Overdoing it? (children mentioned)

I had a LAVH on May 20th. I had to be re-admitted the day after I was discharged for possible pneumonia. I was then discharged again May 25th. I have been stuck in the house for 5 days not going anywhere or doing anything. I finally decided I was going to take my kids to the cushing water park. I didn't swim but I did go down the slide twice. The first time was fine but the second time as I was going around a turn on the slide I jerked and then when I landed I attempted to stand instead of just sliding. I immediatly regretted that. I had almost instant pain in the area where they removed my right ovary. I sat out the rest of the time we were there and I noticed the pain was getting worse. I think my DH noticed because we left not too long after that. My problem is that now when I use the bathroom I feel like the bottom of my bladder is twisted and my bowels haven't been normal yet. I am still having loose stools and it hurts sometimes. I know I need to relax but it is actually harder than it seems. I feel like I want to go but I know I have to sit down. I don't know how to make myself sit. I am going stir crazy!!!! Help
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Re: Overdoing it? (children mentioned)

I immediatly regretted that.
Unfortunately, you should have.
You have had major surgery on your abdomen!
You also had complications with pneumonia.
Why risk your health for a little fun.
There are way too many people and too many viruses and bacteria in the air and possibly in the water at these public water parks.

Did you read your discharge instructions?
Mine said no hot tub for 6-8 weeks. No physical exercise for at least 4 weeks. Slow and even walking, maybe. Definitely NO SLIDE.
You could have not only pulled apart your incisions on the top of your stomach, but the internal stitching as well.
With activities like this, you may be back in the operating sooner than you think.

You have to make yourself sit and rest for your own good.
I did not like being on complete bed rest in order to bring my baby to term. I knew I had to do it, or risk a much too early delivery.

In this case, the main person is you!
You need to care enough about yourself to realize that what you just had was major abdominal surgery. The work of you and your doctors could be all undone if you do not have respect for it. Plus, you had complications and had to recover from pneumonia. You could have died.

Call your doctor TODAY/NOW and tell him/her exactly what happened. Go in for an examination. Hopefully, there is not problem this time. If there is a problem, at least they can help you with it.

Good Luck.
There are other things that you can do besides going to a water theme park.
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM

Ditto to what suziq posted
I'm thinking, maybe try to look at it this way - if one of your kids had just had major abdominal surgery, would you let him or her go to a water park(!) and go down slides ten days later? Of course not. So you must treat yourself as you would treat one of your children. If you had been told the child needed to relax and do nothing, that is what you would make your child do.
You will be of no use to your family if you get rehospitalized. Hopefully you didn't do any damage this time, but indeed you should call the doctor's office and 'fess up - tell them everything, don't sugarcoat things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2011, 06:59 AM

I know I am not "warm and fuzzy," but I let you know how I feel because it is important for you to know.
Sorry if I am somewhat harsh, but you are playing with your body as if you had just a pap smear instead of what you have been through.

Good luck.
I hope it all turns out all right.
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Oh, kparks..yes, you have to see your dr. immediately.

and I agree with suziq; she is one of the best sisters to listen to on the board..and yes, she's right, you could put yourself at risk for more surgery.
Unread 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM

I went in for my 2 week check up and she said everything seemed ok. She took a urine specimen and blood for a white count but says she thinks my pain in my lower right abdomen is from bladder spasms. I'm not totally sure I agree but we will see. She also checked the episiotomy like area that is very sensitive. She says it looked normal and she thinks the pain there is from internal stitches. I go back in 4 weeks to her and in 2 weeks to urologist. I am feeling better but I have been spending most of my days on the couch. I am still so tired though. I can't wait for the fatigue to pass. Thank you for your comments and it wasn't too harsh. I kinda knew I had messed up but I was denying it I guess.
Kim
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM

and I agree with suziq; she is one of the best sisters to listen to on the board..and yes, she's right, you could put yourself at risk for more surgery.[/quote]

Thank you, Deanie!
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM

She also checked the episiotomy like area that is very sensitive. She says it looked normal and she thinks the pain there is from internal stitches.

K parks,
Thank you for going to see your doctor.
This is what I am worried about. The internal stitches may be pulling apart from all of your activity.
I am so happy that you are O.K.

Also, you have a good plan about resting from now on.
Remember, your brain may not want to rest, but your body needs it.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register