No sex drive at all | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No sex drive at all No sex drive at all

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
No sex drive at all

Let me start by saying I've always had a low or nonexistent sex drive. Im 3 weeks post op. My husband has been asking for nightly attention and we have been following the rules, I have no desire at all to satasify his needs. I almost am annoyed when he asks. I don't feel good and I don't want to be bothered with it. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Does it get better? Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Re: No sex drive at all

I kept both my overies, I am 3 months out, and I still could care less about having sex. I am really surprised your doctor has cleared you for sex already. Most wait till 6 weeks so the cuff is all healed. Your husband should understand that you are still healing internally and he can just wait till you feel comfortable. Then talk to your doc, you prob need some hormones since you no longer have your ovaries. Thyroid and a few other things can cause lack of interest as well. Good luck!
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Yes, I did... zero, zip, nada interest for about 4 weeks and then I started to have a little flutter now and then but no real desire, even after I was cleared.
Once I was cleared, I made it a priority to properly thank my husband for his remarkable patience and I enjoyed it but it was still more for him than out of any real longing on my part.
Now, at 3 months, I'm starting to come fully "awake" in that way.

I think it's a combo of the stress, the pain, the exhaustion of healing, wildly shifting hormones the worry about damaging the healing bits, the frustration of knowing that if you *do* get truly "randy", you'll have to slam on the brakes and all that other good stuff, including, in your case, feeling pressured about it. (Why do men never seem to understand that nagging is not a turn on?)

I kept my ovaries but I see that you did not and that may mean that you'll need more time or to monkey around a bit with your meds (if you're taking any to manage the menopausal symptoms) but try not to stress about it- the more anxious you are, the less likely it is that you'll be relaxed and happy about the prospect of sex when you are cleared to resume intercourse.
If your interest does not perk up in a couple of months, certainly talk to your doc about what you can do to revive your libido but at 3 weeks, your only real priority should be healing so relax, tell your husband to take matters into his own hands if you don't feel like it (and tell him the truth, that his nightly requests have you feeling like it's a duty, not a mutual expression of anything and that it's not in his best interests to make you feel pressed and resentful.... or however you'd phrase it- I'm just throwing out how I'd feel in your shoes).... take care of the "you" that you are today and worry about the rest after you're more recovered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM

Maybe I should clarify, no intercourse only yet, only oral for him. I'm frustrated, but he is even more so. I wish that sex was pleasurable for me, but it isn't. At all. It's a chore and I just want it to be over.
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Have you discussed this with a doctor or a therapist?
There's nothing really "wrong", in my opinion, with having a low libido... mine waxes and wanes, sometimes I go months where I couldn't care less if I ever have sex again and after many, many years of stressing myself out about this, I finally came to peace with it and can now enjoy the intimacy and and my husband's pleasure without pressuring myself about my own responses (performance anxiety is not just for men). We also have an unspoken agreement that, when I'm not feeling terribly sexual, I will still look after him and he can return the favor in other ways- a massage, brushing my hair (which I love) or other intimate but not sexual contact.
What concerns me about what you've said is that you find it a chore and, if I understand correctly, you get nothing good out of it....and while that does not make you flawed, it is robbing you of some nice moments and I'd love to hear that you're seeing someone who specializes in this area so that you can find some harmony with your sex life.
It also sounds like you're under a lot of pressure to perform whether you feel like it or not and THAT virtually promises that the "it's a task" feeling will continue.... because when that's the situation, it IS a task, something you'd rather not do but feel you must, like washing dishes or scrubbing the tub... very difficult to take any joy in that.....so, I think that, if you do choose to see a therapist, you might consider some sessions that include your husband so the *therapist* can explain to him how counterproductive it is to press you frequently.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register