Question about passing stitches - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about passing stitches Question about passing stitches

Unread 06-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Question about passing stitches

echodelta,

I am one day after you and I havent felt any of that either... I noticed some woman were a little later then others so maybe that is why. I imagine at your post op where your doctor will do an internal inspection he/she will be able to tell. I didnt have an internal visit my 2 week post op. She said she would do that at 6 weeks. It sure is strange how every doctor is different performing the same procedures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:34 AM

Marie, I had TAH same day as you. I haven't seen any stitches yet either. I didn't mean to get anyone all riled up & worried. Don't be worried if you don't see any. My doc never mentioned passing stitches, I've just seen it mentioned here & there on this website.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Some women pass stitches, some don't. I passed mine somewhere around 3-4 weeks. Other women pass them sooner or later. It all depends on your body's healing time and what kind of suture was used (some dissolve faster or more completely than others). Some women have described their passed stiches being blue, black, or purple. Mine were purple. What kind or brand of suture was used should be in your surgical report or you can ask your surgeon. It really was no big deal. There was a slight discomfort (pinching, pulling) that felt like it was coming from the top of the vagina and then they passed and it was over. It was never enough pain that I needed to take pain medication, I would describe more as a "What the he**! That stings." kind of pain that would come and go. It felt like someone with sharp fingernails was pinching me, then it would feel kind of twitchy, and then it would stop for a while. I hope that helps.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM

I wanted to add...

From the posts I read after my hyst, it seemed that the women that did not pass stitches far outnumbered the women that did.
Unread 06-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Actually, what happened is that pain you are describing turned out to be a visit to the dr office for me. It turned out that he had to cut the last stitch out because it was not suppose to be a painful process to the point it brings you to tears. I had some pinching, but it became unbareable. I was barely able to move or sit. You will feel some scratchy sensation but it should be so painful that you want to curl up in fetal position or can't move and function.
Hope that helps someone. Please call your dr. He may need to cut them out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register