Any Diabetics out there???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Diabetics out there???? Any Diabetics out there????

Unread 10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Any Diabetics out there????

I am scheduled for a TVH on 10/30. I am an insulin dependant diabetic on an insulin pump. As a diabetic, sometimes I have a harder time healing. Anyone else been through their surgery yet as a diabetic? How did it go for you?

Best wishes to you all..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Hello T.... I am a type 2 diabetic and have had some concerns as well. I'm not on insulin, but on injectable meds. My surgery is set for 12 noon on October 29th and am concerned with the "no food or water after midnight" instructions. I have to go in for an endometrial biopsy Monday, 10/8 and my preop appointment is the week after. I'm going to ask again. The hospital admitting staff told me that if my blood sugar is too low or way off, they can put something in my IV.

I never thought about the healing process.... What have you heard?

Cyndi
Unread 10-04-2007, 09:17 PM

I am at 5 weeks TAH, the hospital took care of me thru IV. My blood sugars were taken all thru the day and night. I did my bowel prep on Monday afternoon and then didn't have anything to eat or drink till Thursday at lunch and that was all liquids. I did get to suck on a mint flavored sponge dipped into water on Tuesday afternoon until Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Lovely... I have mint flavored sponges dipped in water to look forward to. I love food but probably won't feel like eating anything while in the hospital, right? Thanks for the reply. I'm just afraid with all the anticipation and anxiety, I will be up at 4am and then not being able to eat or drink will drive me nuts! No water, not even a sip of water when I brush my teeth in the AM?

Cyndi
Unread 10-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Once I got thru the pre-op area on surgery day everything was fine. I told the doctor that I didn't want to throw up when I woke up so he put something in my IV to help. I didn't throw up. They managed my pain pretty well. I was also really afraid of the cathather, but that was no big deal either (except it grossed out my 18 year old son) it didn't hurt at all coming out.

I would have to say the worst part of this whole thing is having a bowel movement. I still struggle, I am taking all kinds of fiber and it still is a problem.

I have been really tired but I will take that over vomit and pain anyday.
Unread 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Hello Sporty:

What about staples? Did you have staples or the dissolvable ones? I had 2 c-sections and remember the staples were the worst part. Like all the other "sisters" here, I think the anticipation is going to be the worst.

Thanks,

Cyndi
Unread 10-05-2007, 10:26 AM

no staples, they used superglue. It seems to have worked. I was really dreading the thought of staples when I told my doctor that scared me she said she doesn't use them.
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:55 PM

I am type 2 and the doctor told me that they have something for me, what it is I am not sure. I am on oral meds so I have to take it with a small sip of something in the morning. My surgery is not until 1pm...so I have a horrible day in front of me.
Unread 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks

...........for the replies. My doctor just told me that it may take a little longer to heal than others. Many diabetics are slow to heal especially of they have issues with circulation. I don't, but it seems like my body just takes a little longer to get over any illness or injury. I'm sure they will monitor my blood sugar closely, however you're right, I too am worried about not eating anything from midnight the night before to the time of my surgery. Luckily, my doc schedules all of her diabetic patients first just for that reason so I'll go in around 5:30 am and have surgery around 7:30......I guess we'll see how it goes!! Best wishes to you all.......
Unread 10-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Hello All: I go in on Monday for biopsy and will ask the doctor about taking meds with a small sip of water (like ktjean) but with my injectable, I'm supposed to eat within an hour and take my oral med with food. I called the hospital and asked the pre-op what I'm to do and she said that if I needed anything right away, it would be administered through IV. Guess I will wait for Monday and ask the doctor.

Sometimes, I don't eat until 11am which is bad for a diabetic. When this happens, I have no worries whatsoever. Here it is, I know the surgery date and time, and I bet will be worried sick all night and day long. My surgery is set for 12pm and check in at "castle" is 10am. With all this anxiety, 10am sure seems like a long time from midnight!!

I would like to post a new thread but can't find the "New Topic" button. Can anyone help?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register