Anybody else having other people tell you when you will be healed? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody else having other people tell you when you will be healed? Anybody else having other people tell you when you will be healed?

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Re: Anybody else having other people tell you when you will be healed?

Thank you all so very, very much. All of you have helped me to make up my mind that I only have this one chance to do it right and it will be done right. I actually stood up for myself at work the other day. The woman who I was talking about who had a hysterectomy herself (but hers was abdominal) found me in the lunch room and started talking about how I was really going to be putting them in a spot by being gone for so long (she tried to make it seem like she was joking). I told her that it would for sure be 4-6 weeks, no shorter. That's when she started with the, "Oh, but you're only having it done vaginally where I had it done abdominally. Mine took longer because the cut was on the outside." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I looked her straight in the eye and told her, "But you seem to be forgetting that I'm having things taken out in the inside just like you did. That part still has to heal up correctly even if the outside is all healed up." I actually saw something like confusion passing across her face as she pondered upon my remark! It felt good to be able to do that to her. Now maybe she'll think about it before she makes a remark again.

I think I've just been very emotional lately. I've had so many thoughts/feelings going through my head. Little things just seem to get to me. And ignorant people are definitely testing me big time!

The good news is that my hubby will be making my pre-op with me. It's almost as if he ESP'd my feelings last night (and he wasn't even with me last night because of work). Needless to say, I'm feeling much better knowing I'll have support with me when I go.

Endok.inmpls, we all need to vent sometimes. My family really is great, but they just don't seem to be there for me in this. I don't know if it's because they're confused, scared, upset, or what, but I have to accept how they're feeling and how they're dealing with it. I know they love me. That's all that matters to me. I'm not so much worried about housework when I get back from the castle and if it will be done or not. What I am worried about is my animals and my garden. I know the inside animals (the dogs and the cats) will be taken care of properly, but I'm just a little concerned about my horses and goats. I'm afraid I'm going to be too much of a nag in making sure that they're fed and watered all the time. And I'm almost for sure I might lose my garden over this whole thing because my hubby just isn't into gardening. I've decided that maybe if I just go outside once a day (when I'm up to it) and water just something little each day then my garden may make it through this. Plus I'm having my hubby put in some new water lines to my grapes and bushes so that way all I'll have to do is turn on the faucet for a lot of them.

I'll be so glad when this is all over with. I think part of it also is the fact that I had an endometrial ablation over a year ago for the excessive bleeding and pain; needless to say, it didn't work for me. So part of me keeps wondering if this will work for me or not. I just don't want to be disappointed in it. And I'm really hoping that I won't have other problems pop up because of it. So those ladies at work will just have to mind their own business because I'm no longer listening to what they have to say! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Anybody else having other people tell you when you will be healed?

I was back to work in two weeks, just saying.
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM

Hats off to lady ace!

It is sad how ignorant people can be. I to have experienced plenty of people bein ignorant, as well my husband has experienced his share of ignorant comments at his work in regards to my surgery. It amazes me how insensitive people can be. My new response is, 'oh I'm sorry I didn't know you had a medical degree', of course these are doing my massive pain moments when the sarcasm begins to flow...

I am a massage therapist with my own practice, and my clients have been more concerned and caring then friends/family (with the exception of my husband and my mom).

I'm still trying to figure out at 37 what happened to treating others the way you want to be treated

The important thing is to listen to your body, everyone heals differently. I feel your aggravation when people dictate by here-say & everyones and expert but no one has been through it (at least in my circle). Hang in there! Sending positive thoughts & vibes your way love, light & compassion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm glad you are standing up for yourself....I wish I could do that. I work in a law office as a legal assistant and my boss actually had the nerve to send a TON of work home with me when he found out I was going to be out longer than 2 weeks. He also had the calls to his office forwarded TO MY HOME!!! Then, while taking these calls, I find out that for the first 3 weeks of my recovery, my boss decided to tell anyone and everyone who called the office that I had a hysterectomy!! I don't think he should be able to do that. It is none of their business. Now, not only do I have a boss who doesn't understand, I also have clients calling me and asking why a hysterectomy takes so long to recover from!!! I understand that their cases are important, and that any delay is upsetting, but SERIOUSLY???? Who does a thing like that? And another thing I don't understand is, if I am not released to come back to work, then what makes everyone think that I am released to work from my home????

I see my doctor again on the 23rd, and that will be 6 weeks post-op, so I'm thinking I better head back to work, because I cannot handle this on top of trying to recover and menopause!!! I have very little pain, but my doctor said I am WAY too swollen for him to release me and that I need to be taking it easy. Here I am almost ready to see him again and the swelling hasn't changed....I guess we will just have to see what happens.

I applaude your ability to stand up for yourself, wish I could find the right words to explain to people that it isn't their choice when I come back.
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM

I am getting a vaginal hysterectomy as well, and can definitely relate to what you are saying (I too, work in a very fast-paced environment - lots of running around), not only from receiving comments from my co-workers/supervisor (who, ironically enough, are in the healthcare industry!!), but also from 'well-meaning' friends and family who have either had a hysterectomy or heard some horror story from someone else.....I am so frayed from all the conflicting comments I am just ready to get this over with and heal on MY OWN TIME, not what timeframe everyone else thinks is the 'norm' - every woman's body is different. Happy healing sister, take all the time you need to be 100% - I know I will!
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM

More power to you, piiink, but I think you are the exception rather than the rule. Most of us seem to have taken more than 2 weeks to recover from the surgery, but I am glad that you had a quick recovery.
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Good for you kletc8964! You should be proud of yourself for taking a stand. Once I learned about how there are possibly hundreds of internal stitches, regardless of how the operation was performed, it made a BIG difference in how I look at my my own recovery. Sure there are those that returned to work in 2 weeks, but that was a big risk on their part. I feel good, no pain, just tired. And yes, I could probably be working from home a bit at this point. But if I start taking calls, answering emails or doing any work at all, where does it end? If we damage our internal healing, there could be future implications. More surgery, or worse yet, in-operable adhesions that could cause permanent pain. No thank you! I'm proud of you girl! And for what it's worth, I had a failed ablation too and have absolutely NO regrets having my hyster (10 days post-op). I'll be thinking of you on your day!

Traeleigh - I am appauled that your boss, a lawyer no less, has sent you home with work, forwarded his calls, and TOLD clients of your hysterectomy. Geesh, I would expect an attorney to understand privacy laws!! My heart goes out to you.

I'm all fired up today ladies - Hyster Sisters Unite!!
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:18 PM

I am day post op , but last week I had the same comment said to me. "It isn't a big deal, you'll be fine & don't bother getting stuff, you won't need it." It made me feel frustrated & like I wasn't being tuff enough. Three ladies I work with had a hysterectomy many years ago. I think they forget the pain & therefore in my opinion are being a little insensitive, Oh well, it's my body & I am not going rush my recovery. And I am a single mom.
I had the da Vinci surgery and they removed vaginally due to possible cancer. It is painful so take all the time you need.
Blessings
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Hi My surgery was on the 31st of May and I am not going back to work until the beginning of Sept ,I am not going to ruin my body for an employer ,Stand your ground ,Heal well ,Its your body and like someone else said you only have one chance to heal well . HUGS
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Now you've got me worried, my surgeon told me 2 weeks off work as long as I don't over do it. Now I'm wondering am I being an ostrich?
Oh the joys of surgery. My surgeries a few days after yours so I'll be interested in how we go.
Best wishes Jaxi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register