Happy about upcoming hysterectomy, but have a few 'sex' questions. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Happy about upcoming hysterectomy, but have a few 'sex' questions. Happy about upcoming hysterectomy, but have a few 'sex' questions.

Unread 09-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Re: Happy about upcoming hysterectomy, but have a few 'sex' questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
With a fibroid that large abdominal maybe the way to go. I had a vag hysterectomy and sex is great ? All turned out fine, if you have uterine contractions with O's, you mite notice it feels dift but you adjust and many women actually report a better love life after because their source of pain is gone ! Yes we too have stayed active all throughout recovery, once released. Alls well and drive is great even w/ one ovary.
Abdominal is the only viable option for me as far as I'm concerned, but it's good to know that your vaginal hysterectomy, didn't damage your ability to enjoy sex. I don't believe I have uterine orgasms. At least I don't think so. Clitoral and vaginal seem to be what works for me. I have read all kinds of stories about how women's sex lives have changed for the better after a hysterectomy due to the fact that sex is no longer painful. It's the women who didn't have painful sex pre-op (like me) who all of a sudden have issues in that department that worry me. Plus, I would be very sad to lose the breast sensitivity. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiekisses View Post
Your story scares me to death. Sex is not painful in the least for me now. I just don't want to jeopardize that, but at the same time I need this surgery. I see you had a vaginal hysterectomy. From what I've researched myself the vaginal ones are the ones that cause the diminished pleasure in sex. I am absolutely opting for an abdominal. Has your doctor given you any explanations as to why your orgasms have diminished and why sex is painful? Can these things be corrected? I honestly just don't know how I could handle losing that part of my life.

I am so so sorry.
It is very regrettable. From my GYN's perspective my surgery was successful because I don't have cervical cancer. It's been 3 years. There's just nothing else to say.
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:28 PM

I had total hysterectomy with daVinci and both ovaries removed,so I don't have any parts left and I am 9 weeks post op.I have strong orgasms still from "outercourse'.Our first try at intercourse was a little uncomfortable, but it wasn't excruciating. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
It is very regrettable. From my GYN's perspective my surgery was successful because I don't have cervical cancer. It's been 3 years. There's just nothing else to say.
You are cancer-free! That has to be a plus. It just seems like there ought to be something your doctor (or another doctor) can do to bring pleasure back into sex. It must be hard to be alive and not be able enjoy one of the best things about life. Again, I am so very sorry, but I'm glad you're alive and kicking as I'm sure your husband is too.
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 9 View Post
I had total hysterectomy with daVinci and both ovaries removed,so I don't have any parts left and I am 9 weeks post op.I have strong orgasms still from "outercourse'.Our first try at intercourse was a little uncomfortable, but it wasn't excruciating. Good luck
I imagine that being only 9 weeks post-op would be the reason why intercourse itself wasn't comfortable for you. At least I hope so. What the hell do I know really?! Are you on HRT? Or just doing it all on your own?
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:55 AM

On my own because of breast cancer 9 years ago.But my gyn is willing to give me a very low dose of estrogen for a year only.My oncologist won't be happy,but I need my quality of life too.She agrees.
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 9 View Post
On my own because of breast cancer 9 years ago.But my gyn is willing to give me a very low dose of estrogen for a year only.My oncologist won't be happy,but I need my quality of life too.She agrees.
I agree as well. Quality of life is paramount.
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiekisses View Post
You are cancer-free! That has to be a plus. It just seems like there ought to be something your doctor (or another doctor) can do to bring pleasure back into sex. It must be hard to be alive and not be able enjoy one of the best things about life. Again, I am so very sorry, but I'm glad you're alive and kicking as I'm sure your husband is too.
I didn't actually have cancer. I had pre-cancer, and my GYN was unsure if it had progressed (unable to obtain biopsies from my cervix). When my cervix went to pathology it turned out the pre-cancer had been successfully removed prior to my hysterectomy. So in the end, I didn't even need this surgery.

I have seen many doctors and had many treatments. Unfortunatately its not just sex that hurts, but sitting, standing, lifting also. I am in pain all the time since my surgery... I certainly don't want to scare you, so I wasn't going to say.

I just wish someone had told me this was a possibility. All I heard was how amazing everything would be. I think it helps to know there are real risks with major surgery. Don't be afraid but be aware, do your research, ask lots of questions and get a second opinion. This is your body and your life. In the end, my surgeon collected his fee and walked away. I'm the one left living in this body.
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
I didn't actually have cancer. I had pre-cancer, and my GYN was unsure if it had progressed (unable to obtain biopsies from my cervix). When my cervix went to pathology it turned out the pre-cancer had been successfully removed prior to my hysterectomy. So in the end, I didn't even need this surgery.

I have seen many doctors and had many treatments. Unfortunatately its not just sex that hurts, but sitting, standing, lifting also. I am in pain all the time since my surgery... I certainly don't want to scare you, so I wasn't going to say.

I just wish someone had told me this was a possibility. All I heard was how amazing everything would be. I think it helps to know there are real risks with major surgery. Don't be afraid but be aware, do your research, ask lots of questions and get a second opinion. This is your body and your life. In the end, my surgeon collected his fee and walked away. I'm the one left living in this body.
I am so very sorry. When I went in for my last pap smear the fibroid was blocking the entrance to my cervix. They couldn't even see it much less perform a pap. This scares me because my grandmother (dad's mom, I don't know how the genetics work) died from cervical cancer. I have so many inconvenient and painful symptoms, but none of them are life-threatening (except for the fact that the cervix is inaccessible). Almost all of the women over 45, on both sides of my family, have had hysterectomies. All of them, except my mother who had 'emotional problems' (her words), afterwards have said it was the best thing they have ever done. However, I have not actually sat down with any of them and discussed how their sexual response was effected. When my husband learned that a hysterectomy was in my future he was so happy. I will be out of pain and discomfort and 'it'll be the start of a brand new better life for us' were his words. I was thrilled at first too, but after researching the whole loss of sexual pleasure and sensations has gotten me scared. My husband just keeps saying that everyone we know has been pleased with their results. I felt that way too at first, hence the title of my original post. :-(
Unread 09-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Yes most people i talked to, had good results. But many women dont tell you about their sexual satisfaction afterwards. If you have this surg, follows orders completely and give yourself plenty of grace and time. life for me , was awful with adenomyosis and i had to make a decision, each day was getting worse for me. Dh was very supportive, no matter the outcome, he knew I couldnt live like that, that was no life. I have returned to many normal activities, just a few I still have trouble with, but giving my body plenty of time to heal. I still have moments, where im reminded, i had a major surgery. But feeling more like myself, every day. My belly is flat again, and im on the mend. Just dont expect a quick recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register