Last period (I hope) is really hitting me hard....any experience with provera anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last period (I hope) is really hitting me hard....any experience with provera anyone? Last period (I hope) is really hitting me hard....any experience with provera anyone?

Unread 02-19-2001, 02:54 PM
Last period (I hope) is really hitting me hard....any experience with provera anyone?

I am experiencing my last period ( I really hope, as I am scheduled for my crown on March 9th) and its horrible, very much worse than any I have had so far. I called my gyn this am, and she called provera (or the generic which I opted for is medroxyprogesterone) and told me if it didn't ease up my problems that I needed to come into office or go to ER. Well, so far, so good not as many trips to the bathroom to change pads, etc. However, I am still experencing awful cramping, which seems to have gotten worse since taking the provera. I have basically done nothing but lay around all day, even called my DH home so he could take care of the kids. Has anyone been giving the provera for this reason? I am on a 10mg dose for the next 10 days. Anyone who has been through this please respond. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2001, 04:18 PM
Last period (I hope) is really hitting me hard....any experience with provera anyone?

Hi Amyintn,
I have been on Provera several times now to get bleeding under control. The dosage she gave you is the same that I have had in the past. It does take a few days for it to stop but you should start seeing it slow down. If you do not start to see improvement soon call your doctor back.
My body too is going thru a final revenge. My doctor put me back on Lupron to stop my periods before my TAH/BSO on March 12th. I have just went thru one of the worst 13 days of bleeding. Do you think our organs know that their time is up and they are just getting back at us? LOL
Seriously if you are not feeling beter soon make sure you make that call to your doctor. You don't want to get anemic before your surgery.
Wish you the best.
Cindy
Unread 02-19-2001, 05:24 PM
Thanks for replying!

Thanks for replying to my post Cinlynn. My dr. also gave me the lupron (actually a shot of it post-op from my D&C on January 25th) and, it looks like it failed. I am scheduled for a TAH and possible BSO on March 9th, and I do believe that our organs know we're getting ready to get rid of them too.....lol....oh well, it seems like they are getting the last laugh, because I sure don't feel like it. I am so ready to get this all over with. With the provera will my period resume after the pills are taken? If so, it doesn't seem like that will be much of a help to me. I haven't ever been given the provera before, just b/c pills and other hormones, so I guess I'm a little more nervous about it. I am also afarid of the anemia issue, since I stay that way most of the time anyway. Oh well, thanks for your input, and I'm going to be counting the minutes now before surgery LOL!
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2001, 05:26 PM

I was on Provera for 6 months to try to get my DUB, cramps and flooding under control. Didn't work at all. If you keep bleeding heavy call your doc or go to ER Right AWAY! I waited last month. Started bleeding Jan 10 and on the 26th I was still bleeding HEAVY! I finally went to the Doc and find out that I was literally bleeding to death. I had lost 2/3 of my blood volume. My count was 16.1 and my HCG was 6. Needless to say I ended up with a transfusion and a D&C and a 3 day hospital stay. Doc has me scheduled for SAH March 8th and I can hardly wait. Seems this has gone on for years. I haven't had my period since the D&C and hope by some miracle I won't have another one ! I have an ultrasound tomorrow, pre-op on the 22 and I'm getting scheduled for an IVP. Hang in there ladies we only have a few weeks to go

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register