Are you getting "in the zone" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you getting "in the zone" Are you getting "in the zone"

Unread 02-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Are you getting "in the zone"

Every day that passes I think - this is my last "Saturday" (or whatever day) before surgery. I have stress bumps on my chin- you know, like pimples, but underneath the skin - my stomach is torn up, I have little appetite, and I'm not sleeping well.... I just feel exhausted. At this point, I'm looking forward to being asleep more than any other part of my surgery - just so I can rest!

I also feel like I'm turning inward - I'm very quiet, kinda insulated, not really "there" when others are around. I have 2 more 12 hour shifts of work and then I plan on cleaning, doing laundry, and grocery shopping on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Oh, hey, me, too!
For me, it's not too much stress (except that this is my last weekend to get stuff done with my dh, as he's only home on weekends and works out of town during the week). Today, we have to go to the laundromat (my dryer died!!), do grocery shopping, do Easter shopping (since Easter is only 3 and 1/2 weeks after our surgeries), and I'd like to squeeze in time to get a hair cut!

Tomorrow (Monday), my dd8 has dance class from 5:40 to 6:20, and then the Read to Succeed program at the library until 8, so I'll have to get the kids fed early tomorrow night. Oh, yeah, my dd16 will need a ride to the college campus tomorrow, too. And I've got some final eBay shipping to do (I don't work outside the home due to chronic health issues; I sell on eBay, but haven't put up any new auctions in anticipation of the surgery).
Tuesday I have my pre-op doctor's appt. and testing, and I'm trying to get some more cleaning, and possibly some cooking-and-freezing done.
Wednesday, I'm going to take all my jeans and fitted shirts and "cute" undies out of my dresser and put my "recovery clothes" in my dresser, so if I need my dh to grab me a pair of PJ pants and a T-shirt, he'll know where to find them! Oh, and of course pack my hospital bag (I've got a list so I don't forget anything).
Dh will be home Wednesday night, though probably not until late because it's his last day of work until March 18th, so he'll have to brief his replacement on everything.
Thursday, we have to be to the hospital at 6AM for my 7:30 surgery.

My appetite is pretty good, but I do find myself thinking "This is probably the last time I'll do X until after surgery".
My dh and I got frisky this morning, and I thought, well, that might be the last of that for quite a while! Lol.

I'm trying really hard not to let myself get caught up in the perfectionism of getting everything done, because, let's face it, as a wife and mother, 'everything' is never done! No matter what I get done before Thursday, there will be one more thing I'd have liked to accomplish! So I keep reminding myself that whatever doesn't get done, the world won't fall down!

Maybe one of the reasons I'm not too freaked about the surgery itself is because I've had five other major abdominal surgeries, so I have some idea of what to expect.

If you need a hand to hold while walking this particular path, I'm right here!
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM

I am still 3 weeks away and starting to feel like this. My house is in order, meals frozen etc... This coming weekend I need to wash my duvet and the next weekend DH is taking me out of town for my birthday/preop relaxation.

I also find I am very snappy and moody and don't really feel like talking much.

Good luck to you ladies on Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler
next weekend DH is taking me out of town for my birthday/preop relaxation.
Good for you!! I had hopes of my dh and I getting out of town overnight, to "stock up", so to speak! Lol. But it didn't come together for us. We'll definitely have to do something once I'm recovered!!

We own some investment properties, about two and a half hours from here, out in WV, and there's a very reasonably priced Bed and Breakfast about 20 minutes away from our properties. We go out once a month to check on things and collect rents. Well, in March he's just going to have to go without me. In April, I'll go with him, but don't think I'll be cleared for intimate activity yet. But I think when we go in May, we'll plan on spending the night at the B&B (hey, his birthday's in May, so we'll do a celebration thing for that, maybe), and make up for some lost time! Lol.

It's always so much easier for us to "cut loose" when there's no fear of a kid interrupting or something!
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM

I felt just like you before my big day. You will feel better when you are done with work and can come home and focus on YOU!! That was the hardest thing for me - trying to be productive at work with this hanging over my head. At home I could do things I enjoy (even if it was cooking or shopping in prep for the surgery), take naps, and just get mentally ready. It is impossible to do that at work.

Hang in there! Just a few more days. It really won't be so bad - please believe that and look forward to thursday when you can celebrate that it is over and onward to recovery!!!!
Unread 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Yes, I'm in the Zone.
I'm ready to move on pass this.
However I can see that this is also a time to chill, and recover. I've re-learned how to do this by reading these post.
I'm like Tahireh, if some things are not clean just so, so be it. I'm really there on that Idea.
I do feel prepared.
I am also anxious, or extremenly ready!!
I find myself wondering about the pain. I'd like to think I can handle pain, however the pain level with childbirth was quite shocking. I asked the Nurse at my hospital Pre-Op, how bad is the pain? She said it's a handful...
I'm not quite prepared for that, I do know to let the medication commence.
Meehan
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:26 AM

Try not to think of the zones in "last days"...I started doing that this past weekend, but yesterday, instead of it being the "last Sunday" it became "by this time next week".
I changed my focus to how well I will be feeling after the surgery. And I went from being nauseous and scared to being almost bring it on!
Today is the big bowel prep day, I have been dreading today more than surgery day I think! That's how I started to look past it...my surgery is tomorrow, Tuesday, and I figure by Friday I am going to be feeling soooo much better! (maybe sooner, but that's my target day)
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:48 PM

I have cleaned all of the carpets in the house, bought lots of jammies and "rag mags" for the hospital. I am feeling a strong nesting feeling now. I guess I am a little nervous. I mostly don't look forward to the five hour drive home the day after surgery. blah. My mother in law just had emergency gall bladder surgery and I am supposed to go see her in the hospital tonight. My surgery is in three days so I am afraid to see her in recovery (seeing the post op pain).
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM

I finished up everything at work today and will be doing laundry and some last minute cleaning tomorrow before I start my bowel prep in the afternoon. I have to drink 1 bottle of magnesium citrate. Then it's off to the castle bright and early Wednesday morning. I have to be there by 6:00 for a 7:30 surgery.
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Hi There

Newbie here. I've been lurking for awhile but my surgery is also on the 28th and so it's time to speak up!

I have to do bowel prep on Wednesday while working from home (ick)

I've been mopping floors and scrubbing tubs but I just feel like I'll never get everything done.

I've been fine about the surgery until the last couple days. I too am very worried about the bowel prep and the pain after surgery. I also can feel the weepiness starting...

I am having TAH/BSO for large fibroids and a bout with cervical cancer in '98. I am 45 years old with increasingly horrible periods so I am looking forward to the end of that drama!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register