Scheduled but not sure which... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled but not sure which... Scheduled but not sure which...

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Scheduled but not sure which...

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm learning so much from reading and learning from all of you. I have a scheduled laparoscopic hysterectomy scheduled for March 24th. They are removing my uterus, cervix and possibly my left ovary. After this was scheduled, my Dr. called this past thursday and asked me if I would consider changing it to a da vinci. If I do that, I have to change hospitals (and I love the other one) and move it to March 1st. My Dr is basically still in training for the robot and I would be her first patient although there would be a Proctor in the room also. That part doesn't scare me....changing hospitals kinda does but I'm coming to terms with it. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, for the ladies that had a choice between the 2, why did you choose the one you did and are you glad you made that decision? I do understand that no one is trying to sway me either way, I just need some help- I need to make a decision by tomorrow and I don't know what to do and I'm terrified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Re: Scheduled but not sure which...

My da vinci is scheduled for March 2 and the reason I
choose it was for the least invasive of the surgeries.

I have fibromyalgia along with the pelvic pain so I am thinking positive that post op will be easier this way.

I would write down my pro's and con's.

Then do what you will be comfortable with and you'll be fine.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM

Weibs -

I wanted a less invasive procedure for my cancer surgery. I was hoping for a shorter recovery time but my gynecologic - oncologist warned me tha may not happen (and it didn't for me). The recovery from the smaller incisions was very good.

Talk to your Dr. about the length of the surgery since it would be her first. It may be that this surgery takes a longer than abdominal since it would be the first. This would mean you will be under anesthesia longer. Not saying this should sway you but you should go in knowing it. This also means you could be in the surgical position longer so you may want to ask if there are extra risks if the surgery takes longer.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM

You've already gotten some good advice from other posters, but (for what it's worth), I also chose daVinci because it was a less invasive procedure. Having said that, I also agree with tauruslady about the time you'll spend under anesthesia. If your surgeon's lack of experience will extend the procedure, you'll have to balance that carefully with the benefits.

Good luck in your decision-making process, and for your surgery!
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM

I wish I could tell you what to do, but I can't. I agree to ask questions to your doctor and then weigh out your pros and cons. I had DaVinci but my Dr. just told me I was and I said okay. He was very skilled in it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register