fibroid | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
fibroid

hello ladies.. i am asking this question for a friend of mine and am hoping to gain some information for her... when i was pre op you were a great support so i am back to ask your advice again... she has recently had a scan which showed a fribroid about 5cm long and she is well stressing about it.. is this bad? any idea what the options are for her? she has to wait 3 weeks to see her doc and i am hoping to put her mind at rest a little... many thanks for your time/help.. teenyween xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:31 PM
fibroid

Hi,
If your friend isn't having any symptoms, I'd tell her not to stress out about it too much. There are many (probably millions) of women who live with fibroids that don't cause them any problems.

It just depends on the type, size, and location of the fibroid to find out what her options are going to be. Not every fibroid will lead to a hysterectomy. There are plenty of viable options and alternatives that she can consider.

Best of luck!
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
fibroid

Hi,

I've had fibroids for years and its only in the last 6 months that things have come to a head (for a nuumber of reasons). So one fibroid that size may well be something that has no impact for some time. So unless your friend is experiencing any symptoms I would reassure her.

Good luck and I hope she stays well.

Palo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi sista's

I had a fibroid the same size. Mine was at the top of my uterus and was causing pain. I had hysterscopic surgery and a D&C last June 2004. It was easy. I had no problems at all. I also had a prolaps uterus so we were trying to see if things would improve once the fibroid was gone. They did in many ways but other problems persisted and we just took it out. I'm done with it anyway and it is/was more of a pain in the butt than anything else. So like our other sister said, it depends on where her fibroid is and what kind of problems if any its causing.
Hope I helped.
Bev
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:08 PM
fibroid

thanks so much for your replies... she is experiencing very heavy periods and they are painful.. could this be the fibroid? sorry to sound so ignorant but i really have no experience of this.. many thanks .. teenyween xx
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
hi again

That is what I experienced too. Heavy periods and very painfull. Felt like being stabbed(not that I know for sure) I would miss days from work aswell. After it was removed the worst of the pain was gone and my periods decreased by half. Like I said, I had other problems too. If it wasn't for the other problems, it would have all ended there!
Bev
Unread 02-07-2005, 04:01 PM
fibroid symptoms

If someone had asked me early in my post-diagnosis journey whether I had fibroid 'symptoms', I would have said, 'no'.

The fact is, I did have symptoms-just hadn't been attributing them to fibroids! My symptoms included back aches, frequent urination, nausea, a 'pinching' in my gut, a feeling of 'fulness', periods coming closer together and including more clots.....

All these things I had blamed on my age (42). After talking to 3 gynecologists, I finally found one willing to perform a lsh IF I would take a 3 mo. lupron shot to shrink the fibroids/lessen chance of blood loss. He explained that one of the added benefits of the lupron would be if my symptoms lessened....it would help me to KNOW that the fibroids were indeed the source of those symptoms!

Within a few days of the lupron shot, the backaches, nausea, & pinching feeling totally disappeared and the 'full' feeling lessened!

I'm about a week and a half past my lsh and won't be surprised in the least to learn as time goes on that I'm free of other annoyances I've yet to realize were caused by those fibroids.

BTW-My uterus was melon sized and filled with fibroids according to the dr.
Unread 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
fibroid

Teenyween,

Yes, heavy debilitating periods are caused by fibroids. I was bleeding 20+ days, even when using birth control pills.

One thing I can recommend--have your friend see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. This person has experience in fibroid removal to preserve the uterus. I saw an RE and he was very helpful in diagnosing the exact location and size of the fibroid by doing a sonohysterogram. This test is where they place a catheter through the cervix and fill the uterine cavity with saline. The saline shows up on the ultrasound, leaving the fibroid visible. My fibroid was too embedded into the uterine wall to remove by hysterscopic resection (where they go through the vagina to remove it) and my options were abdominal myomectomy (removing the fibroid only through the abdomen), SAH or LSH.

I knew I had to do something as I was very anemic and just miserable. I decided to do the LSH due to my age (41) and the fact that I didn't want to ever go through this again. I'm happy with my decision and ended up seeing my original gyno, the R.E., and another gyno. that specializes in LSH to see if I qualified. Please have your friend look into other opinions as not every doctor is qualified to do the LSH procedure.

Pass on good luck for me and let us know what she decides.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register