Ovaries, to keep or not to keep - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries, to keep or not to keep Ovaries, to keep or not to keep

Unread 06-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Ovaries, to keep or not to keep

You have the same problem I am encountering. My hyst is schedule for July 10. My GYN recommended uterus only. However, the surgeon suggested uterus and ovaries. All I managed to hear was something about future problems encountered down the road. I do not have a history of endometreois and had one laproscopic procedure for a large cyst on the right ovary. I decided with the help of the sisters to go for the uterus only. I definitely do not want to go through early menopause. I lost 30 pounds 4 years ago and exercise every day. Because weight issues have always been a struggle I figure that I don't need to encounter those problems with early menopause. I know this sounds crazy, but I'll quote myself again. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I try not to live my life on what ifs anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Sisters. It is so good to have someone to "talk" to about these things. I wanted to keep my ovaries, but I just needed a little support from some caring people. My DH is wonderful, but he is a man. He tries SOOO hard to be supportive, and I've leaned on him a lot lately when I have gone through these periods of being petrofied with fear! Reading the posts on this site has kept me from calling off the whole thing out of fear. So thanks again for all your help.
Debbie
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM

Hi Debbie!
Like you, I am having surgery on Monday, so best of luck!

From your last post, it looks like you have made the decision to keep your ovaries. JMHO, but I think that this is a sound decision since you haven't experienced any problems with your ovaries.

Because I am only 31, I am planning to keep my right ovary, but since my left one has been cystic periodically over the last 6+ years, I want it out! My doctor advised me that if/when my right ovary needs to be removed, it is a much less difficult surgery.
I am planning to monitor my remaining ovary with annual pelvic ultrasounds and CA-125 tests since there is a family history of ovarian cancer.

but I agree in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it philosophy.

I am glad that your DH is so supportive, I am very lucky that mine is too. Be sure to tell him that you appreciate him, because he is probably a bit nervous too

good luck!
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Meri,
Thanks for writing. Monday seems to be a busy day! I have decided to keep my ovaries. I am happy for you that you get to keep one of yours especially since you are still so young. Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Debbie
Unread 06-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Don't let them take your ovaries out. If you dont' have history of
ovarian cancer in your family, keep at least one of them.
I am 44 and I kept one of my ovaries. Surgery this past May 26.
You are still pretty young. I read that your ovaries keep producing
hormones for a very long time. If it is a man gyno he doesn't know
and doesn't care. Keep an ovary.
Unread 06-16-2006, 04:20 PM

Thanks girls. Reading all your messages about keeping your ovaries or not really has helped me! I have surgery on Tues, 20th and up to this point had still not decided whether to keep mine or not. I am 45, no ovarian cancer in the family, my hormones are really mixed up already, so I'm going to keep them. Maybe it will help me in the long run. I have been on HRT for 5 years already. I would love to get off it, but I know the chance is small after this surgery. Thanks and good luck ladies. I know, for one, I am very anxious for my date.
Unread 06-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Go get em

To Qeenie, lincolncity, sidhe1111
Good luck with your trip to the and your decisions about the O's. We'll be waiting to hear your experiences when you become a wise
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Hi Qeenie....I just had my hysterectomy on Wednesday! Yes, today is Friday and I'm already home, thank goodness (hospital food *****). I'm also 49 and had to make the ovary decision. I also didn't know, going into surgery, if mine was going to be vaginal or abdominal. I told my doctor to keep the ovaries in there if they looked OK. I have a history of breast cancer in my family...my Mom and my sister, the sister had a mastectomy 4 days before my hysterectomy. I was better off, hormonally, keeping the ovaries and going through menopause naturally. I have no history of ovarian cancer in my family, so that was the best choice for me.

I ended up with a vaginal hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries and I'm recovering so fast that I'm amazed.

I wish you the best of luck with your hysterectomy and with your ovary choice....do whatever you think is best for YOU.
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
thanks!

Pondlover--thank you for the positive report. Those of us still floating around in the pre-op world are always looking for those good stories. It definitely helps the whole positive attitude.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register