Question about week after (child mentioned) | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about week after (child mentioned) Question about week after (child mentioned)

Unread 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Question about week after (child mentioned)

I have a 5 year old son and was wondering if I will need to have someone home with me when I get out of the castle? Also, are there any fellow Queen size sisters who have suggestions for easier recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2006, 06:02 PM

You will want to have someone around to help out with your child for a while. I had LSH which is very easy compared to TAH, and I would not have been able to take care of a 5 year old by myself for a few days. Even if you onluy had some help during the day for meals, and definitely for any needed transportation. Not sure which procedure you are having, but you will need to have some assistance. You will get tired very easily, even the simplest things like getting a bowl of cereal can wipe you out for hours. Good luck to you and if you need suggestions or have any other questions, you have come to the right place!
Unread 06-17-2006, 06:31 PM

I am two weeks post-op and would not recommend keeping your child with you until you've been home from the castle for at least a week by yourself. This gives you time to heal properly, take meds like you should and let someone else worry about him for a while. You will be the most important thing. I have an 8 year old son and I sent him to sport camp for my first week home and now he is home with me for the next 4.
Please, take time for yourself. You don't want to suffer the consiquences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2006, 07:28 PM

I agree. Having kids at home during recovery can be very tiring. Out of the house is ifel, but if that is not possible, day camps, vacation Bible school, day care, friends, family, whatever you can schedule for the little guy to be kept busy while you rest is important. It will be more fun for him and much better for you to concentrate on yourself.

As a Queen, what kind of specifics are you looking for? Swelly belly still applies, so make sure you have stretchy undies and clothing that does not fit tight at the waist and may be a size or two up from your regular size. Empire waist dresses, maternity clothes and other unstructured clothing has been recommended. (Since having gall bladder surgery, I had it all integrated into my wardrobe already.) For support purposes on the incision, some punctured princesses have discussed getting support panties, or (my personal favorite) biker shorts, again, a size or two larger (or both.) It will help keep the swelling down and help with traveling. Lots of posts I read had stuff on slippery nighties-- knee length-- gowns are too long and get tangled. I discovered that it just gave me night sweats worse than I ever had-- no breathable fabric I know is "slippery." So lots of money on lingerie lost. Oh well. At least they are pretty.

I highly recommend a shower stool. I had anemia where I was at about half blood count of where I should have been, so my energy was extra low. Having such low energy, it was amazing-- I needed to take breaks between washing my hair and washing my body. Then I needed another break when toweling myself off and getting dressed. It was truly amazing just how tired a person could be. My DH was great about everything, being very willing to do anything a nurse or doctor was willing to do-- towel me off, shave my legs, whatever support I needed.

With a TAH/ SAH, you will have an incision that will need extra care. Even if you do not have a lap of fat/ skin that hangs over now, swelly belly may create one and may interfere on keeping that area clean and dry. This is significant in the hospital as well as at home.

I saw one plus size princess post when I was pre-op, and she sent out a warning to us that somebody needs to advocate-- have the doc write it in the notes even-- to remind nursing staff (who are not accustomed to our curves and folds) to make sure that if you are in the castle for any extended period of time (she was in several days and really out of it on painkillers) to keep those areas extra clean and dry-- under the breasts, under the folds-- just making sure somebody pays attention to it. She apparently managed to get those areas irritated, since nobody sponge-bathed her there and a yeast infection started. Luckily she came to out of her drug-induced haze to tell the doc and get it cleared up ASAP.

Once you get home, I have heard of plus size women taking their shower then using the hairdryer on cool to dry the area off, to make sure it dries completely before reapplying dressings/ bandages.

To help with independence, (and this goes for any hyster sister) you should have your slip-on shoes and slippers handy. Again, with an incision, you will not really be in any position to bend for awhile.

Walking is important, so do it often-- even a little walk around the chair at first will help get your circulation going. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Once your five year old is at home with you, make sure he understands not to jump on you or treat you rough by trying to even crawl into your lap. Lifting is a major restriction, and he is over the ten pound limit!!!!!

I am sure there are tons of other pointers who had a surgery closer to what you will have (I had TVH, so all incisions are internal.) The catheter is a whole other area you will probably wish some opinions. I wish you the best of luck for an uneventful recovery!!!!
Take care and good luck!!!!
Barb

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register