On the other side of the hill | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

On the other side of the hill On the other side of the hill

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:27 PM
On the other side of the hill

Yes, I am on the other side of the hill, home and surgery behind me on the other side of that hill. I went in on 9/4 for a TAV/BSO plus the doctor took my appendix which I was glad to have him do. I have been off all pain meds except for Motrin and I am tender but OK. I just love my tummy pillow and have one on each floor of the house. My biggest problems since getting home on Friday 9/7 is getting comfortable in bed, coughing and sneezing. I took too much to the hospital but I take too many things where ever I go. You know, just in case. I am pleasantly surprised how well everything is going. I have not had major surgery before and was scared to death and in tears before leaving for the hospital. The hospital was great, they took good care of me. My hospital was short staffed as all are right now but I had help when I needed it and once the IV was gone I really had my indepencence and it felt great. I did not ring for anyone after that, my theory was let the people who really need the help do the ringing now. The worst is the waiting and wondering what it is going to be like for you. This HS site has been the best thing in the world for me. You all helped to answer my fears and questions and now I hope I can help to answer yours. I made a wonderful new friend. My new HS friend took a chance for some reason and sent me an email after reading a post I did. How wonderful it has been, we both had our surgery on the same day and were in each others thoughts. We exchanged our telephone numbers because we had written back and forth so many times that we felt like we knew each other like sisters. We talked the night before or surgery and it was wonderful. We have talked since being home to say glad you are home and OK. We confided in each other like true sisters and comforted each other. I feel blessed. I would like to be able to help each and everyone who has questions and fears, I have been there. No question is to trivial, silly, or what ever. Every question and fear is very real and important. We must all take good care of our selves if we are to take care of others, remember that. I hope I have not gone on too long as there is so much to say. The important thing is YOU WILL BE OK AND IT WILL BE BEHIND YOU SOON. You will be on the other side sooner than you realize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 03:13 PM

Hi Black Cat Lady,

So glad that you're doing so well. I too had my surgery (TAH/BSO with bladder tack) on 9/4 and am doing well. The waiting is the worst part as everyone says. This site is great. I feel like I have someone I can talk to who understands and, to be honest, without the information on this site, I would have been clueless as to what to expect and avoid. The wierdest part for me right now is fighting some diarrhea problems and really having no desire to eat anyway. Hope you and are other Sept. 4 sisters continue to recover well and stay in touch!
Unread 09-10-2001, 03:35 PM

You GO GIRLS....Congrats on being over the hill! (I mean that in a nice way!)

B. Cat. L.- You've done what I hope to achieve...just pain control with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm very sensitive to the heavy duty stuff and usually feel horrendous and think I can tolerate pain better than the side effects. SOrt of had a lot of practice over the years with my insides hurting anyway and this time I'll at least know why I'm hurting and that it's for the last time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:48 PM

Cat

I am glad that you are home and doing well.

Yes this site is awesome

I wish you a speedy and happy recovery

Unread 09-10-2001, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your response

Thanks for writing back. My worst fears with the surgery were nausea and I let everyone at my doctor's office and the hospital know my concerns and I mean everyone. I have decided I am just one of those people that gets sick no matter what pain med I take. My surgery was Tuesday 9/4 in the early AM and on Tuesday about 6 PM it hit. I had been told that I was going to get pain med in my IV that I would control. There was a change for some reason and I ended up with shots instead. The nurses kept after me about the shots and I kept trying to go without for as long as I could. I found that the shot gave me headaches and I just felt fuzzy headed but when I had to yell for a bucket that night I said that is the last pain med I take. They came quickly with a shot called an antimedic that took the nausea away and it put me to sleep. That shot hurt more than any other shot I have ever had. It packed a sting I could not imagine. I do not know the name of the meds used on me but I plan to get the information from my doctor and keep it for future reference. I had been given Percocet for leg surgery and that made me sick as a dog. I guess we add another to the list. I plan to talk to my doctor and say in a nice way "now maybe you understand why I was so concerned about nausea". The pain is there but better each day. I feel that a little pain is worth no headache and not having the fuzzy headed feeling.
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:50 PM
Black Cat Lady

Glad to hear you're doing so good. My TAHBSO is in lldays and while I keep telling myself I'm ready, I'm not entirely convinced!! Never had surgery in my life - just been in the hospital for the birth of 2 sons. Scared of "going under" but in such discomfort that I need to do this to get on with my life.

Get plenty of rest and grow stronger each day. Warm thoughts!!
Unread 09-11-2001, 03:35 AM

Jane Elizabeth,

Hi! Just to let you know, I thought going through the birth of my son (normal delivery) and the subsequent recovery period was far worse than my hysterectomy. That's just talking about pain and my body getting back on track (gas, BMs, etc.)--not even bringing the sleep deprivation, etc. that goes along with a new baby into it. So, I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck to you--keep us posted!
Unread 09-11-2001, 03:55 AM
OH girls

That is great news. I am so happy you found your "sister" and that you are doing so well. This is my last night with my organs and I am so scared.

I am more relaxed than I thought because of all the great stories I have found here.

Love to you all,
Nicole
Unread 09-11-2001, 04:55 AM

Hi Black Cat Lady!

Welcome home! Thank you for posting such a detailed message. It helps my nerves to be able to picture what it might be like for me. I still have a long wait compared to most ladies (36 days now) but I guess I am obsessed with this whole thing!

Sorry to hear the pain meds were such a pain. You are smart to keep track of how they affect you.

Have a wonderful day and remember your job is to !

viola

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register