epidurals | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
epidurals

OK...Now I am really confused. My last thread that I started, gavitron responded that her eipdural was leaf in for three days. I this is the case, I may have made my decision. I am really concerned about pain control after surgery because I take a maintanence pain medication for severe osteoarthrtis. This makes me much less responsive to post surgical pain meds and I am very worried that I will have problems with pain management. If they leave epidurals in though, that would solve my problem. If I can get folks to let me know how long they were able to keep their epidurals after surgery, I would love it and what your experiences with them are. Would you prefer epidural or general and why? If you had your epidural left in, did they keep you numb, or did they just put the pain medication into the epidural? Did they let you control the level of the epidural with a demand button?

I appreciate any answers.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
epidurals

Hi Terri,

For surgery, I had both the epidural and general. Then after surgery, they left the epidural in for five days (in hospital for 8 days). I did not have a button, the meds were continuous. I had no pain at all. I did not even have to take any after the took the epidural out.

Good luck,
Sharon
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Terri

Going from past experience, I like to feel in control of myself so I don't care for the epidural. You realize that you can't get out of bed because you can't feel your legs or feet? Catheter as well.
I also have ostioarthritis and am on continual meds for it. They were generous with pain killers when I needed them. I did feel discomfort but I thought it was tolerable. Make sure though that your Dr leaves orders that you continue your regular meds. Mine forgot and I couldn't take them until I got home. I was only allowed my thyroid meds. Anyway.....more to think about
Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 01:57 PM
epidurals

I just had TAH on Fri the 4th and had epidural w/versed. It calmed me so much that I dont remember anything until recovery when anest said hello and I did great. Dont even remember having the epidural put in. The anest put in duramorph in the epidural when surgery was done and removed the epidural. I was only numb for less than 1 hour and then had full movement. I thought is was going to feel strange, but no problem, feeling came back slowly and was fine. They also used what is called the On-Q which is a means of giving continuous pain med to the incision (fairly new for our hospital, at least) so you dont have to worry about using the pump yourself and waking up in pain. It worked pretty well. Started wearing off the 2nd day, but was manageable with the addition of percoset every 4 hours and then the day before I came home (yesterday) switched to a combination of extra strength tylenol and then a few hours later, motrin, etc. It has been working fine. The On-Q was taken out right before discharge (it runs for about 50 plus hours).

I am completely satisfied with this pain managment regime. I would recommend an epidural in a heartbeat to anyone considering it as an option. I personally could not handle the thought of being put under with a general--was pretty anal about it.

Good luck
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:09 PM
epidurals

I too had the epidural and versed for my TAH/BSO and don't remember the epidural going in or anything until the recovery room. They left my epidural in until about 10:30 the next day and it was great. I did have some itching due to the medication but it wasn't anything compared to what the pain would have been. I also had a little trouble with my pulse ox machine because I was so relaxed that I was waiting a long time before taking my next breath when I dozed off. Not life threatening but very annoying when that stupid little beeper went of over and over again. That went away though. I had no trouble with the catheter, and my legs weren't totally numb. But my incision was thankfully. The epidural wore off fairly quickly after removal. And I didn't mind not being able to move around. The family and staff had to wait on me instead. I don't get that much. Have a great surgery. Christy
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
epidurals

Terri Too-
I had my hyst on Friday Feb. 4 with a spinal for the surgery and an epidural for post-op pain management. I highly recommend it. I did not have any of the negative side effects that you get from GA --- no nauseau, no grogginess, no foggy brain. I was so together that I was completely awake in the recovery room and started calling friends and family as soon as I got into my own room. They couldn't believe how good I sounded. The epidural stayed in until Friday night at 9 when I asked for it to be removed (the alarm on the pump kept going off and I didn't know how I would get any sleep). I was switched to oral pain meds (percocet) and was fine. The next morning, I had my IV and catheter removed, took a walk and had a shower. The dr. kept telling me I was too ambitious, but I really felt great. I got out of the hospital yesterday (a day early) and am doing really well at home. It's harder to follow doctor's orders here but I am trying really hard so that my recovery keeps going as well.
I highly recommend epidural/spinal instead of general anesthesia and I am so glad that I did it that way.
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
epidurals

I LOVED my epirdual! I have a history of bein hard to wake up after general, so my doc wanted to do the epidural. I was really nervous about being aware of what was going on. I don't remember anything after they put me on the OR table until I woke up in recovery. I do remember a couple of times feeling like someone bumped me, like if someone bumped into you while walking in the mall. That's it.

The doc did tell me the next day that I kept talking during the surgery. He said they would be discussing what they were doing and I felt the need to join in. He did say, "don't worry, you didn't embarras yourself" Hope that's true and he didn't say that cause I had a horrifed "WHAT did I say" look on my face.

If I ever have to have surgery again I'm asking for an epidural.
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:30 PM
epidurals

IS EPIDURAL A CHOICE FOR ALL OF US?????

I would love that, I am soooo afraid of not waking up, I had an epidural with my C-section, I felt great after and would love to do that again.

I hate the coming out of it feeling you get when you are under.

I wonder if my doc would consider it??? I suppose some of them just wont, but I am going to try!!!

I think I will fax the office and ask them!! I have tons of other questions too, so I'll just add it to the list!!!
Unread 02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
epidurals

I had an epidural for pain control for my colon surgery. It was left in for four days. I was able to get out of bed and walk. In the beginning the insides of my thighs were numb but that didn't last. You do have to have a catherer while the epidural is in.

There was not a button and the Anesthelogists come in and adjust it. They gradually reduce it. I also had the On-Q pump--so I was pain-free.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:02 PM
epidurals

Had my TAH/BSO on Thursday 2/3, got home yesterday.

At the end of my procedure my anesthesiologist gave me an epidural injection. It lasted about 24 hours, after that the pain did set in. However, the first 24 hours were awesome. Was able to get lots of sleep and had very little discomfort. Even when it went away, i was in great shape when i stayed on top of my pain meds. Remember to ask when you can get more, and take it. If i forgot and waited until i needed it, then it took longer to get comfortable

Good luck to you. Hope this info helps.

Kim

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register