Any one have TAH week of 10/10. How are you feeling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any one have TAH week of 10/10. How are you feeling? Any one have TAH week of 10/10. How are you feeling?

Unread 11-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Any one have TAH week of 10/10. How are you feeling?

Just wanted to catch up on the anyone who had a TAH the week of 10/10. I finally feel like my self again and was able to make a trip to the mall with my girls. (The highlight was looking at a pair of white pants and thinking I can wear them 365 days a year and never have to worry.) As late as last week, I was upset because I thought I would never feel better or get my life back. It just takes time and a whole of patience!! I have repriotized my life realizing that the house doesn't always have to look perfect and I have taken time to enjoy other things like an afternoon nap and scrapbooking. I do still get a little emotional but I had that problem before the hysterectomy. Reading all the posts helped get me through this difficult time. I want to pass on to all the recent princesses, there is light at the end of the tunnel and every day will get better so hang in there and here is hugs to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2005, 08:47 AM

I had a LAVH with both ovaries removed on Oct. 11. I had a lot of bladder problems after the cathedar was removed. I finally got good control back during week 3. I am feeling much better, too. I get tired real easy. Just going to church yesterday and teaching Sunday School wore me out. I have to go back to work in two weeks. I am really dreading it. I stand on my feet 8 hrs a day. I haven't been shopping yet. Last week my emotions seemed to be all over the place. One minute I wanted to cry, the next I was okay. And on Friday I had a major meltdown over something I normally wouldn't think twice about. I hope these hormone swings level out soon. I guess whatever hormones that were left in my body are completely gone now. I have had a few hot flashes but I think the hormones my doctor gave me are working okay so far.
I have enjoyed just relaxing at home and reading. My sweet family has pampered me. I have done a little simple cooking. The dust bunnies in the corners are beginning to get to me, though. I think it is really important to take it very slow and easy. We only get one chance to heal. I have enjoyed reading the other post. Hugs to you! Enjoy a nice relaxing day!!
Unread 11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
week five for me

This is my first post-- my surgery was a week after yours, 10/17 but your caught my eye as that was my original surgery date. I too am feeling better--don't know all the correct abreviations but I had a LAVH as well as a Cystocele and rectocele repair and implant, and the bladder sling. I am 42 and had endo. The bladder part has gone marvelously, but the rest is very slow. Previously I was a very busy, involved professional business person, and this has taken me out of work, volunteer work and driving, the worst. Its hard not to be depressed but we have to focus on the positive-- the period pain is going to be gone. I am so thankful for this website because no matter the time, day or night I can get up, go online, and find someone who has had my problem or is having it now with me. Just getting through to the doctors office on the phone is so hard, this family on line frequently has some comforting suggestions and thoughts. I have massive demands to be back at work as I have clients who depend on my advice and work, but my doctor told me no driving for six weeks. Have any of you heard that? I also was told no lifting more than 2 lbs for the first few weeks and then no more than 5 lbs for six months as I have hundreds of internal stitches from the multiple repairs. I think my doc may have been using psychology with me-knowing that I am a hard-driving worker she may have told me less and longer so that my compromise would be about right if I chose to drive earlier or lift more. I did drive today at week 4 just to take the kids to school a few miles but that has been the first.

I guess there is enormous truth in that it takes a long, long time to be well. It's not like getting over the flu. We have to enjoy things, and "BE STILL" and know that it's all ok, all under control, and later in life we will be glad that we rested when we could.

Good luck to you in your return to work and make sure to get your naps in when you do return!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2005, 12:52 PM

My surgery was Oct. 14th and I go back to work Wednesday (nurse). I see my doctor tomorrow for the final "release". I feel great! NO MORE BACK PAIN! I didn't even realize that was a GYN problem until I'd had the surgery and it was gone! My symptoms had been long, heavy periods and they knew I had the fibroid but that was it. BIG surprise to have the extensive repair work done but I'm so thankful! I walk about a mile a day, have been driving since day 10, only go to the grocery for "light" trips, and drove 10 hours to Georgia to see my son graduate from basic training 2 1/2 weeks post op. It was worth it! I have two "problems"--although they are mild. One is the "swelly belly" makes my jeans almost impossible to wear since that puts pressure on my belly button incision (ouch). The other is that, although I'm taking metamucil 2 x day and colace every night, I still have to take MOM about every 3-4 days to make sure I don't strain when I have a BM. I'm going to talk to the doctor about that tomorrow. I don't know what else to do.
Unread 11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm not doing fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscacruzn
Just wanted to catch up on the anyone who had a TAH the week of 10/10. I finally feel like my self again and was able to make a trip to the mall with my girls. (The highlight was looking at a pair of white pants and thinking I can wear them 365 days a year and never have to worry.) As late as last week, I was upset because I thought I would never feel better or get my life back. It just takes time and a whole of patience!! I have repriotized my life realizing that the house doesn't always have to look perfect and I have taken time to enjoy other things like an afternoon nap and scrapbooking. I do still get a little emotional but I had that problem before the hysterectomy. Reading all the posts helped get me through this difficult time. I want to pass on to all the recent princesses, there is light at the end of the tunnel and every day will get better so hang in there and here is hugs to everyone.
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing fine. I'm not so lucky. I had my surgery on 10/10/05. I had a 5lb fibroid and endometriosis. My doc cut a hole in my bladder so I have to have more surgery. I am so tired, depressed ( I cry at least once every day), and I get dizzy with headaches. I just wish I could go shopping and be normal again. I probably never will be. My repair surgery is 12/19 and I am so scared!!! But good luck to you in your recovery. I just wonder why some people get butchered and some don't. I just wish that I would have checked out my doc a little better.
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Sscacruzn,

I had a TAH/BSO same day as you and I'm happy to report I'm doing pretty well. In fact, my doctor released me last Friday for work, sex, and everything, although I'm taking some vacation days and am not going back to work until this Friday. Sex was successful, not painful, and an enormous relief that everything still works! I can't say I had fireworks - but I was so nervous (so was DH) before we realized I wasn't going to rip apart or anything (I lost my cervix and a smidgeon of vagina from the TAH). I'm sure sex will get better as I relax more.

I haven't had any big menopausal symptoms yet, which is puzzling, although I am taking some medication (see below) which may be helping.

I spent Saturday like a "normal" Saturday, cleaning the house (except vacuuming) and helping do a fall clean-up outside while DH raked leaves. I felt fine, but then Sunday I didn't get out of bed until 1:00 in the afternoon! So obviously I'm not quite 100% back to normal.

Littlepup,

I'm very sorry to hear that your experience has not been so lucky. Please consider counseling or antidepressant medication to help you through this period. Personally, I am taking a low dose of the antidepressent Effexor XR (37.5 mg) because I had terrible insomnia after the surgery, and I had taken Effexor before for depression and insomnia. I have also read on this site that it can help with menopausal symptoms for those of us like me that lost their ovaries and cannot take HRT due to cancer or other reasons.

I hope your next surgery goes well and you feel better by the holidays. Most of my recovery has been two steps forward, one step back. Try not to dwell too much on whether you had a bad doctor or not - although I hope you have a different one next time! I liked my doctor very much, but even he failed (or the tests failed) to figure out I had cancer BEFORE my surgery. Please keep us posted and I'm wishing you lots of comfort,

Louise
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:45 PM

where d you live? maybe someone is in your area that can turn you to a better doctor!! you sound like you are giving up and we can not allow that!
Unread 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM

HI! My surgery, TAH was also 10/10. Today I feel great! Last week wasn't this good. I guess every day does really help! I was cleaning my house and thought I would take a break and see what my "sisters" were doing! My dr appt was Friday and he said it looks good in there, so I had the green light for sex! We were very careful, so much so that I got taken care of and poor dh didn't All works well! What a relief!!! I hope everything from today foward keep getting better! It's nice to almost feel some what normal again! But remember to still be careful not to over do it, just cause we feel a little better! Dr said to still take it easy for the next 4 weeks to make sure I don't hurt anything. Wish we could all feel good together! Just remember, we all had surgeries for different reasons, and some more procedures, so it going to be different for all of us! Bodies heal in their own time! don't rush yourself, this isn't a race! Littlepup, I'll be praying for you! I hope you are doing better each day! Lean on us if you need to! That's what we are here for! Take care!
Unread 11-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Hey all,
Had my TAH/BSO w/extensive adhesion removal on 10/11 - except for a very bad reaction to the morphine (which was morphine-induced coma - still don't have all the facts as to why or how it happened), I have to say that physically I am seem to be mending slowly but surely... My DsweetH has been a key part of my recovery since he took the brunt of the household, our 3 year old, and my care.

I go to my post op tomorrow and am hoping that no earlier news is good news as far as the path report goes.

Physically, I can tell that when all has healed, I will be a different person - I didn't know how much of my energy was being sucked into being sick, tired, hurting, swollen, tender, & cranky!!!
Mentally, I can be fine - like today, but yesterday, whoa - not a pretty sight!!! I just don't have a handle on the emotions at all...my DH thinks I am depressed and wants to go to my postop tomorrow to discuss me with the Dr. He doesn't think I will tell the Dr. how down I have felt. I was interested to read your post Pink Peony because one of the things that has absolutely worsened is insomnia...it has become pretty bad and it doesn't seem to matter what I do. Mainly, I have been thinking that "this too shall pass", but I will talk with Dr. tomorrow about it because it may be a major factor in my crankiness!!! (I am on Vivelle .1 right now, dosage might need to be to be tweaked)

I also found out 4 days prior to my hyst that I have other medical conditions unrelated to the problems that led to my hyst surgery...I was not quite ready to hear that and will start physical/drug therapy for them in early December. So maybe that plays into the insomnia as well...

Anyways, I have also been so thankful for this site and the wonderful support and compassionate "ears". I truly have gotten on here when I thought I was at the end of my rope and was inspired by someone else's walk in this fight for "normalcy"!

littlepup, I am so sorry for your ongoing problems - the thought of another surgery must be so hard...please, keep us posted on how you are doing!!!

Wishing continuing recovery for everyone!!!
God speed!
kiminee
Unread 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM

I had a TAH 10/14, and I'm doing all right. I went to the mall on Saturday and out again today, longest trip ever. Just sore around incision with swelly belly and back's a bit stiff. But not tired anymore, which was my problem during the first couple weeks post-op. Going back to work in two weeks, so can't wait to do that. I've been going housebound-nutty lately, which is why I've been going out driving, shopping, not even for things I need, just to get out of the house.

I know I've been lucky that my healing is going terrifically with no setbacks, so my heart and prayers go to all the sisters who have had some problems. Even though it may seem like the light at the end of the tunnel seems far away, keep moving toward it. You'll get there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register