Laughter best med? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laughter best med? Laughter best med?

Unread 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Laughter best med?

Okay I admit it, I like to laugh. And I am lucky enough to have people around me who like to make me laugh. But after the sugery will it hurt to laugh? My DB/F wants to know if he should refrain from getting me going in the mirth department. He's so sweet doesn't want to do anything to cause pain so he casked me to ask the hystersisters about it. To laugh or not to laugh, that is the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Laughter best med?

Laughter is good! make sure you have a pillow to put over the incsion and go for it!

it will take your mind off of "down there" <grin>
Unread 06-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Laughter best med?

Hello Tigger

I don't know which surgery you're having - I had a TAH & don't know whether it was something to do with the medication, but I had the giggles several times in the first few days after my op. Yes it hurt (ouch!) & I ended up laughing & crying at the same time, but the laughter was definitely a good thing -and it broke the ice with other ladies on my ward so we got talking & bonding. I'm with Patch Adams (good film to watch if you want to laugh & cry) in saying that laughter is the best medicine - so get ready to hold your tummy & then encourage your friend to make you laugh. All the best,

Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Laughter best med?

When I had my lapro (not hyst, but still somewhat painful procedure) my sister had sent me a card. She got an attack of the funnies and when I opened her card i started laughing hysterically. OUCH!!! But, it felt so good to laugh amidst all the other drama.
If you are familiar with any of my posts, I tend to make light of alot of stuff. I grew up in a family where we thought, "if you can't beat it, laugh at it."
Trust me, as morbid as it sounds, we even found humor in my father's trials with lung cancer. (is that bad?)
Moral of story, it didn't hurt him (he is doin well now) but it certainly helped.
Laugh away! I mean, really, what else can we do?
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:32 PM
laughter

I agree with the other ladies. I keep my pillow handy and laugh when I can. My surgery was on June 5th and it did hurt a lot at first, but laughter does my spirit so much good, it's worth the pain
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Laughter best med?

Emichal we might be kin because I laugh at everything. I'm not borrowing, I'm taking your line "if you can't beat it laugh at it". There's humor in everything, and trust me I have found it. I've got some uterus jokes I can only share here at hsytersisters. And I sure hope it doesn't hurt too much to laugh because I am a hysterical hystersister.
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Laughter best med?

I have to echo Samila and Emichal and the other ladies. I haven't had my hyster yet, but have had other surgeries. Laughter definatly help me heal faster! It may hurt to chuckle, but it is worth it. I've gotten a couple new comedy DVDs for the recovery time!!! There are studies that show laughter helps your immune system improve, decreases blood pressure,and most important for us hyster sisters, it will increase motility (in other words...faster farting postop :woot: !) Hey ,I like the idea of the hyser(ical) sisters.
Alicia
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Laughter best med?

I worked in a chronic hospital in recreation for 10yrs. The best seminar I attended was about the healing power of humour. All my patients loved me the most for making them laugh and helping them escape the pain of their reality. We had a lot of fun! I've already packed a stuffed toy for my tummy while I'm at the castle!
Unread 06-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Laughter best med?

I remember when my twin and I were first diagnosed with a debilitating arthritic condition at the age of 12 (which ultimately caused my disabilities). The doctors had given us a terrible prognosis and put us in traction where we were stuck in a hospital bed for about 3 weeks and couldn't move. We found every joke in the world. We kept the hospital staff laughing so hard. On Sundays we'd have church, and I mean loud church. Just the two of us. We had so much fun. BTW almost nothing the doctors said would happen ended up happening. While I have no range of motion in my left leg, and I'm in chronic leg and lower back pain. I can do almost anything anybody else can do, it may take me longer, or it may be a little more challenging but I'm pretty okay.
Unread 06-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Laughter best med?

While I agree laughter is good for the soul & maybe the body too, consider yourself warned, it hurts like crazy. I had abdominal incision. First night home from hospital I made the mistake of turning the tv to Deuce Bigelow 2. It had some hilarious parts in it where I could not stop laughing for several minutes. It hurt so bad. I was very sore the next day too. But that also could have been from trying to do everything by myself. Your bf sounds like quite a dollbaby. Maybe if he waits a few days for the full on comedy show that will help. Just little laughs at first???? Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register