New here and Tuesday is my day! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and Tuesday is my day! New here and Tuesday is my day!

Unread 09-09-2001, 08:11 AM
New here and Tuesday is my day!

Hi All,

Wanted to say hay hello and let you all know how much your helful hints have helped me to keep my wits about me. My house is not ready YET and I still have plenty of errands to run but I feel much better having read all the tips and your experiences.

Off to Costco for TONS of water and dog food (need to get the heavy stuff in the house). Seperated last Feb. so I am on my own with two daughters (teens). Aunt is coming to the house for a full week after I get home to be my "nurse". Anybody else go through this "single"? I think that is still my biggest concern.

I wanted add one thing. I have scheduled a massage for Monday night to help me sleep, afraid the nerves will really be out of control then. Anyone else have trouble sleeping the night before? I will let you all know if the massage helps or not.

Good luck to all and God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2001, 08:28 AM

Hello and welcome to hystersisters Ima... Glad you found us. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Many women have gone through this solo...sounds like you're doing the best things...stocking up on what is needed in advance. Your teens should be able to help out a lot too. My kids are younger but they were little troopers. Glad to hear you're having your aunt come in the first week...that's when you'll really need someone with you to bring you drinks, keep your pills straight etc. We'll be here with you every step of the way.
Unread 09-09-2001, 09:36 AM

Wanted to say hello. By the time you are getting your massage, I will finally have my date for hyster! It will be within the next ten days, so I know how you feel about the nerve things! (shudder)
hang in there and it sounds as if you are doing great for you!
Will light a candle for you teusday, what time are you going in?
Lots of love, hugs and prayers!! We are all in this together and I know over the next week or so, I am going to be glued to the screen!
You are going to do just great! You are never on your own, as long as you have God. He loves you and will make sure everything works just right!
Peanut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2001, 10:27 AM

I didn't sleep a wink the night before. I figured I'd sleep during surgery!!

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is speedy. I'll be thinking of you on the 11th.
Eileen
Unread 09-09-2001, 11:38 AM
You go girl

A massage the night before! Boy that would be the life!!!! I only WISH I could do that.

You will be fine. I have trouble sleeping every night but I will probably take a really hot bath and try to relax as much as I can. OR I will be here chatting wishing that I was sleeping.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine. I go in on Wend so not far from you. Wow today is already Sunday!
Unread 09-09-2001, 11:46 AM

Hi Imayopierce,
I just want to wish you the best of wishes on Tues., I am supposed to go in on tues. too and know that I probably won't sleep either. The massage sounds good but my Dr. said I could take tylenol pm or benedryl if I feel I need to but a like the other sister said I will sleep during surgery, mine is in the morning. Take care of yourself and a speedy recovery.
Going
Unread 09-09-2001, 12:48 PM

I just had surgery on 9/4 TAH, bladder and rectal repair. I am single and have a 19 year daughter at home. She goes to college full time and works part-time so isn't home much. My parents are in their 70's and live close by so they will drop in every day. The best thing for me was to have some easy meals to fix. Cereal was a life-safer. Easy to make and digest. Go grocery shopping day or 2 ahead, clean house, and make a few comfortable places around the house for yourself to lay around. Have lot of pillows for propping yourself up. I have 2 couches in the living room that I switch off and on and also my bed where I have a TV. Let the answering machine get the phone if you have one or let it ring. Work out a signal with your family. You will get a lot of nuisance calls during the day from salespeople and it will make you mad as all get-out that you just about killed yourself getting up to answer the phone. Or if your phone is cordless, take it with you everywhere you go. Keep the TV remote handy.

I am using paper plates and cups to cut down on the dirty dishes which will drive you nuts if they start piling up in the sink.
Unread 09-09-2001, 12:56 PM

Hi ladies!

I'm new to this site too. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on Sep. 20th and am starting to really get nervous! Go for pre-op on Thurs this week!

From what I've seen here you all do a pretty good job keeping morale up!

As the time draws nearer...does anyone have suggestions for relaxation? I think I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Prayers and best wishes to all!
Unread 09-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Being Single

I know your fears being single, not having a SO to be there with you. I originally didn't have anyone available to help me and was in a major panic. I didn't sleep at all the night before but my surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. I was able to think about it too much while I was waiting at the hospital and almost walked out! I kept thinking: unreliable teens, no SO, I'll be in pain............. who is going to make sure I'm o.k.????? I had two months to go through this until my surgery. With your aunt there things will probably be a little easier than you realize. You are stocking up on all the heavy items in advance so lifting should not be an issue. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Just stay calm.......the waiting is the worst part. I'm 3 wks post-op and just get tired a lot. I'm still swelling off and on but that is to be expected. One warning............. do NOT try to do housework. Like I read on this site "make friends with the dust bunnies." If you make a list of things that you think would annoy you and give it to your teens, they can watch out for these things and avoid the possibility of a cleaning "urge." Keep us posted and we will keep you in our prayers.
Unread 09-09-2001, 04:21 PM
Could it get any worse

I had to call rescue today to get my father. His Blood sugar was low and his Blood pressire was low. He was in a diebetic coma. I freaked out. I called rescue and they came to get him. He was admitted which my friends tell me was the best place for him right now. I think I now might have a better sense tomorrow. I will still be worried. I am getting really nervous now, but I think that is becuase I haven't eaten or had time to myself. You will be fine though. I say all of that to let you know that things aren't that bad. You will be fine. My surgery is tomorrow. I will be praying for you as well.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register