Stairs! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-10-2001, 11:19 AM
Stairs!

I really want to recuperate in my own bedroom, which has it's on bath, a king sized bed, comfy chair, tv etc. and a door! (The last is important with 2 young children about). The problem is I live in a colonial and will have to get up the stairs to it when I return from the hospital. My Dr. says I will be able to do it. Will I? I'm having a TAH in October. What has some of the ladies who have been through this experienced?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 11:54 AM
Stairs!

My bedroom is upstairs also. My doc told me I could go up and down once or twice a day those first few weeks. I spent most of my time upstairs, although I did venture down a couple of times. You'll be able to do it, but you'll need to do it very slowly. I found going down was the hardest. I held onto the bannister with one hand and onto my tummy with the other, walking slightly sideways. Just go slow and have someone with you, if possible.

Eileen
Unread 09-10-2001, 11:55 AM
Stairs!

I also had a TAH, and absolutely agree with Eileen! It was MUCH easier if I took the stairs sideways (didn't pull on my abdomen that way), and I went VERY slow, holding on to the railing for dear life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 01:34 PM
Stairs no problem

I came home Friday and was worried about the stairs. No problem!!! It does not hurt me to do them at all. I am off pain meds. I hold the railing and go slowly. When you go down stairs stay for several hours and when you go upstairs stay there for several hours and rest. My tummy is very tender but coughing and sneezing have been the only problem for me and I just push my tummy pillow into my tummy as hard as I can. The ride home was no problem, I enjoyed the nice day. I had a TAV/BSO on 9/4. Take care.
Unread 09-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Stairs!

I also live in a colonial and that was one of my first questions to my dr when he advised the hyst. He gave me no restrictions on using the stairs. I was able to use them without any twinges or pulling. I used them as needed......probably 5 or 6 times a day. I've read other posts where ladies have said they did feel "pulling" and found it more comfortable to go down sideways.

I will say that I got all sorts of comments from friends and relatives because in the past they apparently were told to go up and down on their butts! They thought my dr was a bit nuts, I think.

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:24 PM
Stairs....no problem

I actually thought it would be worse than I had thought. My told me only once a day to climb those stairs and that is what I did. I would go up there towards the evening and take a hot shower and change and go lay down in bed. Whenever I was going to get up for the day I would venture down stairs that way I could eat and watch some more TV. It does help if you go sideways and really slow. It will get easier! Take care and best of luck!!
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:42 PM
Stairs!

I had a tah on 8/20 and my dr. didn't give me any restrictions as far as steps were concerned. I didn't have any problems with them. I just took them slowly but it really didn't hurt to go up or down!
Unread 09-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Stairs

LOL my DH will be happy to hear about the stairs, (granted if Dr. says ok)

Our bedroom is upstairs in our walkin attic, 12 steps....I was planning on twice a day, when I get up and go to bed. Now DH may not need to bring puter downstairs!

Deb
Unread 09-11-2001, 01:03 AM
Steps no Problem

I live in a first floor walk up, and was taking the steps from the 1st day back from hospital. Doc said try to limit it to once a day until the staples came out.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register