How? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
How?

how long were ya all in bed after you got home from the hospital i am having an adominal hysterectomy done and i need to know what will i feel and how long will i be in bed for i am very scared ad i dont kow what to do i have a lap top to keep me busy but what else can i do to keep me busy and my mid off the pain thanx!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
How?

I had a tah/bso and was not bedridden after the first day. The day of my surgery I stayed in bed, the next morning a nurse got me up and sent me to the showers - alone. It was a loooong 8 feet or so but I made it ( she stayed nearby for "just in case" ). After that, I walked the hospital halls as often as possible. I continued my slow easy walking after I got home, adding distance as I felt up to it. I did need to take it easy, rested a lot but got up each day and spent much of my time in a lounger in the living room. I needed help with heavy things and having errands run but could do simple things , like heating ready to eat meals etc.
I watched a lot of tv ( don't usually ) at first because I had NO concentration. I usually read a lot but didn't for a couple of weeks. I did enjoy my laptop for very short periods.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
How?

I was up walking the day of surgery. VERY short distances, and they did not push to go further than I was ready. I was home 2 days later. Did a lot of walking around the dining room table, then back to the recliner to stretch out. Or back to bed for lots of naps, at least one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
I am lucky my husband works at home so he was here to do most everything that I didn't feel up to. But his office is in the basement, from my recliner I could see the side light at the front door. So I just had to wave folks in. It took forever to move the first week and of course he was on a conference call whenever the doorbell rang. It got better the second week.
I tried not to stay in bed except for napping/sleeping. Of course, we don't have a tv in the bedroom so that sort of encouraged me to keep moving. And I was recovering during the olympics so I could just turn them on and veg out.
By the second week I had retrieved my laptop to use in the recliner. Too much to concentrate the first week.
But remember, everyone is different. You have your own routines, and your body will recover differently than anyone else. And they give you good drugs. Use them, they help.
Hang in there. There is life on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
How?

I was up moving around the day after my hyst. It was slow going and painful but each time got a little better. When I got home from the castle, after spending 2 days there, I vegged out on the recliner. I would get up periodically and walk around the living room, then back to the recliner. Pain meds help...and rest. Best wishes to you.
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
How?

I had my abdominal hysterectomy on May 25th. I went home May 27 a.m. Was never bed ridden after I got home. The day after I got home I walked around my yard some. Not a lot but got outdoors for some fresh air and sunshine. The third day I walked 100 yards to my mom's and had coffee with her and visited for a while and walked home. I think walking has really helped in my recovery. I feel stronger every day. I get tired due to losing a good bit of blood and now being anemic but I dont think it will last long. I am looking foward to getting the all clear at my 3 week check up. Dr. said I could resume "relations" with my hubby at 3-4 weeks and back to full work days at 5-6 weeks. I hope he's right. I had my uterus ovaries and tubes removed...kept my cervix.

I am not advocating doing as much as I did in the walking if you arent used to it. But walking made me stand up straight and with a vertical incision (22 staples) I needed to do that. Do what you feel like. Dont push yourself too hard but do try to move some.
Unread 06-06-2006, 05:57 AM
How?

I had an LAVH, but I had some serious pain issues the first week. Even so I was able to get up and do a short trip around the house the day home from the hospital.

Warning, do not under any circumstances mistake a little energy rush for being healed. I stayed up too long at a time and did not realize it until I was in bad shape. Pace yourself...don't try to keep up with your family or visitors.

Laptop good...laptop on belly bad. Make sure you have a surface to lay it on so that you are not tempted to place it on your chest like I did. LOL Breakfast tray would be good.

Betts
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
How?

I don't know if you like watching movies but that's what I have been doing- nothing deep. And reading- light books ( both in size and content.) My friends & family don't believe I have slowed down but I honestly have no energy. Fortunately- DH can work from home suring recovery.

I'm 50 & was in decent shape foing into surgery. Believe me- I am not back at the gym and won't be until at least 6 weeks- maybe longer. However- by 3rd day after surgery I was walking in the halls of the hospital. I got up each day- just to move to my office/den mostly with short walks around upstairs. By day 7 I tried stairs- slowly- 3x per day so DH didn't have to do meals on trays.

Remember- it is not necessarily a straight road to recovery- some days you want to stay in bed- I had one of those days yesterday & spent about 1/2 the day there.

As for pain management- reciting prayers has helped me. Most of my pain has been from severe gas that developed about 10 days post op & has lasted for a week. Some pulling from the vertical ab incison but I just keep gently stretching that.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:56 AM
How?

Day one after the surgery (TAH & BSO) they made me get up to go the bathroom and showers. Day one was the worst! Each day got a bit easier and I was home from the castle on day 4. I had no problem managing the stairs in my house and shuffling around to make myself a tea. The first week I didn't do much except watch TV, read and nap. I increase the length of the walks and frequency each day (depending on how I feel ). My DH works 12 hr plus shifts so I had to be able to move around which scared me pre-op but really posed no problem. good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register