Medical Equipment Reps in OR? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Medical Equipment Reps in OR? Medical Equipment Reps in OR?

Unread 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Medical Equipment Reps in OR?

I'm scheduled for a laparascopic hysterectomy (also taking out ovaries) on June 7 and during my pre-op visit the doctor said that representatives of the company than makes the equipment will be in the OR. Is that usual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Re: Medical Equipment Reps in OR?

Yes, it is. I used to work for one and they will come for a lot of reasons. Most often times they make sure the product is being used correctly and being utilized properly.
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Funny you mention it. I found the surgery I am having on orlive.com (lsh) which happened to be filmed about 30 miles from where I live. The doctor introduced two guys who were from the company that made the "morcellator" ...... there were in the background the whole time. Never went near the doc or the patient. While I watched it....I wondered what the point was of them being there. But it makes perfect sense as the poster above states it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Thank you for your answer. This really bothers me, especially because as I read about my procedure it seems that I will be in that lovely lithotomy position for at least some of the time, and it's such a vulnerable and humiliating posture to be in. What are these folks' backgrounds? I'm assuming they're men. I totally trust my doctor and the surgical team but they're professionals, and these other guys -- what are they? salesmen? Like pharmaceutical reps? Thanks for any info you can give based on your work experience.
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Could be men or women. They wont be looking at you in that position. They only care about the equipment they are reps for. A lot of times, they just need to see the instruments used in order to calibrate it again, or to do updates to software etc.

In some cases, they are able to help the Dr to better understand a tool or machine so that they are able to fully utilize each to its full capacity.

Hope I helped to ease your worries honey!
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Yes, that helps; you're so kind. Thank you very much.
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM

The orlive surgery showed the patient in that position fully draped. And the reps were about 5 feet behind the surgeon. I would assume your right to privacy would be adhered to in a similar way.
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm an RN in a procedure area that uses reps all the time. They aren't in there thinking about you being in a compromising position, especially because they see it every day, but they very much care about keeping you safe and making sure their product is used in the right way. Our reps are excellent and help our docs all. The. Time. I hope I have a rep to keep my surgeon straight.
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Often times the reps are people who have medical backgrounds. I have two friends who are reps who were previously OR technicians. They now assist the physicians in the ways described above.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register