Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

Unread 03-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

Hi everyone. I stumbled upon this site with such glee. Only hours before, my fiance was saying that I should talk to other ladies who have had a hysterectomy as it is a huge decision to make and Im pretty worried about the whole thing. I am 39yrs old and Im inconstant pain. I only have about 3 or 4 days out of each month without pain. It is excrutiating at night, oftening waking me at 2 or 3am and not being able to get back to sleep, hense the tiredness. I cant stand too long as pain worsens, when I have a full bladder it makes it worse, my lower back aches, intercourse is painful and Im constantly taking pain killers. I have had 2 laparoscopies and 1 colonoscopy in the last 7 mths. The 1st showing nothing so sent me for a colonoscopy, which also showed nothing. I went for a 2nd opinion to a lovely gyn..finally.. he is very caring, gentle and understanding. He did a vaginal ultrasound and found a cyst on right ovary which had burst so he operated, removed cyst, did a d&c and generally flushed out my uterus. Its been about 2 mths since then and Im in more pain than before. He says I have a very engorged uterus with a thicker lining than most and sugested that I go on a detox diet for 3 mths to see if that helps. Its only been 4 weeks and I cant stand the pain. Im seeing him in 2 weeks to discuss hysterectomy. He says he will take out right ovary but not sure what else will be done. As Ive also had a CIN II, dysplasia, 10 yrs ago, he may want to remove cervix as well. There is no sign of endometriosis. No one seems sure why I have the pain. I only hope that if I have the surgery it will disappear. Im due to marry in October and I hope that if I have the op soon I will be fit and well to enjoy our special day. Is there anyone who has similar symptoms but no real diagnosis? I just dont know what else to do to rid the pain. Also, if only one ovary is removed can menopause still come early.

Pineapple Plum
xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 06:45 AM

Hi Sister!

I, too, had severe pain with no real diagnosis. I was on pain pills for years and they never really worked. I might as well have been eating candy!! After ultrasound and lap, my doc still couldn't figure out what was causing my pain.

At age 34, my gyn and I decided hysterectomy was the next step to try to get rid of the pain. Although, even with surgery there was no guarantee the pain would be gone. So, in Sept '04, I had the surgery. It was the best thing I could've done for myself!!! I have not had a prescription pain pill since I was in the hospital after surgery. I feel better than I have since I was a teenager!

After surgery, they send your "parts" to the lab for diagnosis. Even though nothing showed up in both the ultrasound and the lap, the lab found endo, adenomyosis, fibroids, a chocolate cyst (cyst filled with old blood) in my left ovary (that actually burst upon examination, I'm so lucky it didn't do that while it was inside of me!) and my left ovary was adhered to my colon.

It's no wonder I was in so much pain!! I did get to keep my right ovary and my hormones have been perfectly level since surgery. I am most definitely one of the lucky ones!! Yes, menopause can always come early if you keep one of your ovaries. In fact, my doctor said it most likely would come earlier than if I'd have kept everything. But, you know what....I'm very okay with that!! Now I do not have the pain or have to take medication. I feel free!!

So, hang in there dear Sister! Do what feels right for you! No one can guarantee your outcome or make this decision for you. So trust your instincts, take a deep breath, and know that you are most definitely not alone.

HUGS!

Marianne
Unread 03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
can menopause come early

Funny you should ask - I am 47 years old and have been living with one ovary for 24 years. No sign of menopause yet - at least until I have my TAH in four weeks! My dr. left the decision about the remaining ovary to me (assuming it is healthy) but dh and I have discussed and I have decided she can take it out. I weighed both options - leave it and go through normal menopause in about 5 years, lasting a few years, or go through it now over a peiod of a few months (for the worst stuff I mean). I went through a perimenopausal period ten years ago - hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. I took low-dose BC pills for 9 years and dealt with vaginal dryness, loss of libido and losing my hair! Then I quit the BC cold turkey and within three months, regained my hair, vaginal moisture and libido! Go figure. Dr thinks it's wierd but I say they still don't know what they think they do about our bodies. Looking forward to my day in the castle - not a great lady-in-waiting. Take care, all. cj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 10:29 AM

Welcome pineapple plum & glad you found us!

Marianne - you are definitely a success story! I'm glad to hear that things turned out so well for you!

And cjm!!! - Here's a link to a very informative recent thread about Ovaries? Keep or not? Why or why not?...(sounds as though yours are working just fine)

S to all,

joano
TAH at 54/kept Ov's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register