TAH dry peeling hands | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dry peeling hands dry peeling hands

Unread 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
dry peeling hands

Hello ladies
I had a full hysterectomy March 2013 and have noticed my skin is extremely dry, especially my hands. They peel and.are very flaky ... even worse if I expose.them to water developing these little white air pockets which is skin that can easily be peeled off. I use Cerave hand moisturizer but I wanted to C if anyone had experienced this.

I look forward to reading your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Re: dry peeling hands

hi,

I noticed on your profile that you had both ovaries removed. No estrogen can lead to dry skin.
Do you feel well otherwise?
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM

Hi Pooky thanks for your response. Yes i feel fine other than this flaky peeling skin thats annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM

I have had exactly the same thing! A few days after I got home my wrists looked almost "silver" from all the dry skin. I got an exfoliating puff and used it several times. The dry skin came off. On the sides of my feet, where my arches are, it just rolled off. It was pretty gross. And my incision had a lot of dry skin that came off in small sheets like after you get a sunburn.

But my legs are still very dry. I thought it was because I had been laying around and it didnt have a chance to slough off. But I do think it was partly to do with loss of estrogen. My hair seems like it thinned a little because my ponytail doesnt seem as big around.

I had a SAH. It seemed like as soon as the ovaries came out all my skin fell off!! But you know what? I feel great! Better than I have in a long time. And I lost 15 pounds and have kept it off. I woke up with a flat stomach and it is still flat, no swelly belly at all!! So I am doing pretty darn good!!
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Fawn thanks so much for your post. It has only been peeling for about three days. Its as if I am getting a new layer of skin on my hands lol. I truly hope it stops soon.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM

I had the same problem during week 2 and 3 post-op. Extremely dry skin. Peeling easily on my legs and arms. I thought it was the meds I'm taking but when my Mom told me she was experiencing it too, we came to the conclusion that where we are staying has 'hard water'. That's the best explanation we could think of because it wasn't the meds and I kept both of my ovaries(SAH) so I didn't think it was a loss of estrogen.

I rubbed the dead skin off with a towel and used a combo of Keri lotion and coconut oil to replenish the moisture. I haven't had any problems since.

It's amazing all of the things I'm experiencing now that before my surgery, I wouldn't have given a second thought to. I can't wait to get back to a sense of "normalcy".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register