Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips? Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips?

Unread 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips?

Hi everyone!

I had my hysterectomy on Monday. It was a complete hysterectomy with tubes and ovaries removed. Done with the DaVinci. Yesterday was horrible! I felt great at the hospital, but once I got home, I had pain because I needed to go to the bathroom. I finally went today and it was horrid, I have been using stool softener, but it didn't help at all. What worked for you to keep your movements from being painful? I'm starting Miralax to see if that helps keep things from becoming painful again.Otherwise, I've felt pretty good besides soreness and some bloating. I just need to learn how to deal with this constipation issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Re: Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips?

In the hospital they gave me a stool softener each night and drink allot of water and I ate prunes and walk around. I went when came home and was easy. I still take stool softener and I am four weeks tomorrow . I had a LTAH ...
I wish u speedy covery
Downing67
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Someone had posted half apple juice and half prune juice warmed.. I haven't had that issue. I rarely get constipated..I'm a little stopped up now but typically I have a bad belly so any day of no cramps and pooping is a good day to me. Sorry for the tmi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 04:23 PM

I've been walking around the house. I think Prunes are a good idea. I like to snack, and that would be beneficial. I usually don't have these kinds of issues, but I am right now and it is awful.
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Had Surgery Monday- Constipation tips?

Hi,
I found that oatmeal in the morning and Benefiber 3 times a day really helps.
Unread 08-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post op, had gastric bypass years ago and my friend told me about " Smooth Move" tea. It works great for constipation and is a lot gentler than Mallox (sp?) etc. you can get it at Trader Joes, Sprouts and most health food stores....
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:03 PM

After surgery, I ate oatmeal for breakfast and soup for lunch and dinner. I did this until I had a bowel movement.
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM

I took Miralax daily in warm apple cider and otherwise drank enough water to make my eyeballs float in my head and ate good, healthy, high-fiber food. Don't wait to "see if you need it." You need it. Just take it daily for at least the next week or so, then maybe you can tail off of it very, very gradually. That's one of the nice things about Miralax; it's a powder, so you can wean yourself off more conveniently.
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Drink buckets of water and eat many fruits, vegetables, oatmeal. Peaches, applesauce, strawberries, etc.... And get up and move around often. Helps with the BM and to avoid blood clots .
I'm still taking stool softener . I have tapered off to once a day the last two days with no problems. (16 days since my surgery )

Give yourself plenty of time in the bathroom too, don't rush it. Some have said a warm shower before their BM helped

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register