TVH with bladder repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH with bladder repair TVH with bladder repair

Unread 11-28-2000, 06:21 PM
TVH with bladder repair

Hello, ladies!

My name is Linda, and I will be having a TVH with bladder repair on December 18, due to prolapse of the uterus and bladder, neither of which I had ever heard of until I was diagnosed with both about a month ago.
I will be going for bladder testing on Dec. 8 and 11. Very nervous. Do not know what to expect. The tests are called urodynamics and a cystoscopy.
I've been reading the postings here, and do not see much regarding uterine prolapse.
I am 45 years old. It's been over 20 years since I've underwent surgery. I've been worried about it, complications, bladder problems, etc.
Would like to hear from others who have undergone a TVH with my circumstances. Thanks for your advice!

Linda from Wisconsin
lrysk@centurytel.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2000, 06:38 PM
TVH with bladder repair

Hi, Linda. As you can see from my signature line, I was a mess before surgery.

Although I never underwent any of the bladder tests you're going to have, our surgery sounds about the same. I had the cystocele repair, not any kind of bladder re-suspension. So that can make a difference.

My first 24 hours after surgery were just plain hell. I had no pain relief in the recovery room, ended up with mega doses of narcotics, still no pain relief and a blood pressure that scared the nurse and anesthesiologist to the point that they called my husband in to try and calm me down. Oh, well, we tried to warn them. When I wake up from general anesthesia, I panic if I can't see my husband. They had originally said no, no spouses in the recovery room but they broke their own rule for me.

I also didn't handle the catheter and vaginal packing well. Lots of discomfort there but those both came out the next morning and from then on, I was fine. I started walking the halls immediately and drinking cranberry juice like crazy. It took me about 15 minutes to pee the first time but no problems other than that. I came home on Percoset but have actually needed very few of them. Remember, pain meds are constipating and you don't want that. They also give me nightmares so I quit taking them as soon as I could. My original prescription was for 30 pills and I still have 16 left. Advil works just fine.

Get yourself some stool softener. You don't need to spend the money on Colace, Walmart's house brand has the same active ingredient and works just fine. I also stocked up on Baby Wipes, since your bottom can be quite tender and Charmin just doesn't do the trick.

Just make sure you don't come home and overdo it. That's been my biggest problem. I feel pretty good and have to watch myself so that I don't overdo the housework thing. And it's also hard to watch what you pick up. You shouldn't lift anything over 10 pounds and it's hard to gauge what's 10 pounds and what isn't.

Best of luck to you. Hoping your surgery goes as well as mine.
Unread 11-28-2000, 07:36 PM
Got'cha covered!

I went for the famous bladder test this morning. The worst part??? The night before! I had to chug down that God awful Magnesium Citrate from hell. About 2 hours later I became enthroned... and thus went the rest of the night. DO, and I can't stress this enough, get any and all remedies for your fanny and the burning that might come along with the self induced diarhea (like you need that on top of everything else). Though I was absolutely miserable last night and took to whining on this forum... I feel 100% tonight.

I got to the hospital outpatient section and had an interminable wait. No room at the inn, I guess. As I had been up all but 2 hours during the night I really had a hard time getting comfortable in the waiting room.

Soon enough it was my turn. I got to strip down and drape myself in that sexy backless number. The vampire nurse then put the IV in. I have to say she was not one of the best at it. I was then wheeled to XRay where they must have taken about a dozen. They began with just a regular shot of the pelvic area. Then they injected some fluid in the IV that was supposed to go right to the bladder. They then took more pictures and I was wheeled to the waiting area, pre op.

In pre op they just let me relax till I let them know when I "reallly" had to pee. I let them know that the mighty river was ready to flow then off to the potty the male nurse and I went. If the doc requests it, or if it's normal procedure, you'll have to pee in what looks like a giant funnel that empties out into a measuring cup at the bottom. Ooooops, the cup was NOT lined up with the funnel and my slippers got all peed on! Great, huh?

The doc opted to do without the "flow test" and off I went to the operating room. Got all situated and strapped in for the procedure. I think I may have been in there all of 10 minutes and cannot tell you about any pain or discomfort. I was awake and a little la la due to the "relaxing" med they shot in the IV. All I had to do was lie there and do nothing till he had me cough once or twice and bear down. bada-bing, bada-boom.

Was wheeled back to recovery and finally got a drink. I had been dying for a Dr. Pepper. I was willing to give away my first born for a drink of soda when I arrived at the hospital this morning. But, I had no takers.

They won't let you leave alone. They won't let you leave till you pee. I peed right away. No pain, no discomfort. All was well. I even felt fine enough to toddle upstairs to my OBGYN's office and sign all the pre op papers in preparation for Dec. 7th surgery.

The unhappy news is that I need a major bladder job done, but hey... stuff happens! Try not to let that worry monster get out of it's cage too often. If you need any more useless information.... please don't hesitate to write me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2000, 08:11 PM
TVH with bladder repair

OK Pat, the procedure sounds a lot like the procedure I'll be having on Monday. All the pre-op nurse told me was to by the Roy-Vac and follow the instructions and that it was a type of X-Ray. I then did a search on the net, and found that a pyelography was a procedure involving an IV and dye and that it took at least an hour. Now, even there, there was no mention of pre-op.

Was your procedure the same?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just anxious here: by Monday, when I go in for my pre-op and that d*** test, I'll only have 7 1/2 more days of work left. That's counting Monday afternoon. If it takes a long time and they have you sedated and in pre-op, how will I fare at work? Will they even let me go in to work?

I'm confused, because I was sure that it was just a minor procedure and that I'd be at work by mid-morning!!
Unread 11-28-2000, 08:20 PM
TVH with bladder repair

Call your doc first thing in the morning and ask exactly what's being done. Ask what will be involved, etc. I think that's going to be the best way to ease your worried mind. If this is a kidney test you're going to have, then I have no clue except for what I've read so far. But, if it's the bladder test for incontenance then what I explained is what you'll likely go through.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly what to expect and help ease your worries. Get through this night and call the doc first thing.

If you have the bladder test like I did... I felt find afterwards. I would not plan to go to work that day. I just sort of felt like my body had been invaded with the fluids in the IV and I deserved a rest. If I had to consider going to work I wouldn't have that rest time to listen to my body. I think it's very important to listen to what's going on so you are better prepared and can deal with things during hours that your doc is actually in the office. But, that's just my humble opinion.

Let me know what the doc says and we can take you from there. There's never too little information to be had... but often times too much!

So.... you are not allowed to worry! You don't have all the facts m'aam....

Hang in there kiddo! and keep me posted!
Unread 11-28-2000, 09:40 PM
TVH with bladder repair

Pat thank you for your reply. I don't think it's I'm having the same test as you, since they won't be filling up the bladder. Ladies have in fact enlightened me on an other thread and I'm not as worried anymore.

In fact, right now, I'm feeling rather up-beat. I had a very busy day at work and I know there's a few more of those ahead of me. And dh had some really good news today: he got the job he'd been yearning to have

I'm still scared and but I'm feeling better.

Hope your .... being is starting to feel a little less raw. I know I have some of that to look forward to on Sunday!!
Unread 11-28-2000, 10:09 PM
TVH with bladder repair

Hi Linda,

I had TVH in April 99 for prolapsed uterus. It was dragging the bladder & rectum with it (gravity can be a nasty thing!), but the removal of uterus allowed the other parts to correct themselves without any further repair.

15% of hsyterectomies are due to prolapse. You can do a search of the word *prolapse* in the Pre-Op and Post-Op forums to find more discussions of this topic.

Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register