Cervix too? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Cervix too?

Thanks, I'm in two minds because reading some of the previous threads it seems that if you have endo it may be better to have it removed in case there's any endometriosis tissue lurking around in the cervix....I think I'll have a chat with my surgeon and see what she thinks. This is such a great site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Cervix too?

Hi All,

I also kept my cervix. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. For me, that has been very true. I am very glad I kept my cervix.

In my opinion, the most important thing with keeping the cervix is to be a *good* candidate. I had to have normal pap smears for at least 10 years and a sturdy cervix for my Dr. to consider me as a candidate to keep it.

Here is a Hyster Sisters ~information~ link on the cervix:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96911.htm

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Cervix too?

I too have been wondering what to do. The doctors I have spoken to act as if it's just part of the deal to take the cervix. I had a leep cone back in 1992 for mild dysplasia. I have been fine since. I wonder what I should do. I'm going to a new doctor on Wednesday. I'll ask her. What have you guys heard? I asked one doctor about the bladder problems when the cervix is removed. The response I got was well as you age if it's going to drop it doesn't matter if the cervix is there or not. I'm not so sure I go for that. How about you guys. I have also been told that I must have a TAH due to my uterus being so high up and I had also had a c-section with my 2nd child so there are concerns about scar tissue on the badder. Please give input.
I just ordered the hystersister book but it wont get here until after my appointment I was hoping it would help give me more ideas about questions.
BTW, You guys are THE BEST!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Cervix too?

I did a lot of research into this and decided to keep my cervix. The following is what I learned 'in a nutshell'.

It is actually a simpler operation to leave the cervix. If you look at the history of hysterectomy they used to leave the cervix as they simply didn't know how to take it out. Taking it out is more complex as they have to reattach many ligaments to the vagina that are normally attached to the cervix. Also, if they take the cervix then they need to cut into the vagina and then sew up the end of the vagina forming a 'vaginal cuff'. If you have endo then it is considered better to have the cervix removed as it is difficult to identify exactly where the uterus ends and the cervix begins so you could end up with some uterine tissue left that will continue to cause endo symptoms after the surgery. Also, if you have had any abnormal pap smears or there is any cancer in the reproductive organs then it is better to remove it. If your cervix is healthy and there is no endo or cancer then you would probably be better to keep it as it is a simpler operation, gives better pelvic support and can be involved in sexual pleasure. Also, keeping it avoids involving the vagina in the procedure. Historically, once they discovered how to remove the cervix there seem to be trends as to keeping it or not. Current thinking is to remove it but that could swing back. Studies have been done that show you are better off keeping it and studies have been done that show you are better off removing it. Much depends on what studies your gyney is favouring at the time. There seems to be valid arguments on both sides so it really comes down to your personal medical history and your personal choice. Please be aware that removing your cervix only reduces the chance of cervical cancer but doesn't eliminate it. You will still need regular paps after.

The reason I kept mine was because my only problem was fibroids. There was no reason to remove my cervix or ovaries and I was not interested in removing healthy organs on a 'what if' basis. The less I had removed the happier I was but thats me. You may not feel the same.

Good luck in your decision. Whatever you decide it has to be right for you.
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Cervix decision is complex

My doc sez it is pretty "routine" to remove the cervix. He said I don't need it any more. He also said I don't need the ovaries either. He said since I am 50, they will be shutting down anyways soon. I have 5 lg fibroids and 1 ovarian cyst. The reason to remove the ovaries according to the doc is to avoid any ovarian cancer risk since it is hard to detect. Other info has told me that ovaries provide hormones at smaller amounts that benefit us. The cervix "may" provide sexual well-being, structural support... Since mine is healthy, I'm thinking I'll keep it, even tho I'm not certain it has any real benefit. I don't want to take the chance that it really does!

We all know how complex female sexuality is. How many approved drugs are out there that treat female dysfunction?
I hate to say this, but since he is male, I wonder if he has put himself in my postition? Could he fathom what life would be like if he no longer had a functioning penis?...ever again?

I have read many stories about bleeding after the cervix is left in. I am also aware that there is always more negative stories than the postitve ones. (bad ones tend to stay in the memory banks longer)
Thanks for your help and links!
DUS
Unread 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Cervix too?

I agree with you that male gyneys have no idea why we would want to keep any of our reproductive organs once we have finished childbearing. My gyney wrote on my consent for under benefit of surgery 'removal of uterus' I said to him no that is not a benefit please mention my fibroids so he reluctantly put 'removal of uterus containing fibroids'. He didn't really understand why I wanted to keep my ovaries or cervix. I said to him well I have read that removing my ovaries increases my risk of heart disease by 300%. Oh well I don't know much about heart disease he says but you have a 1 in 80 chance of ovarian cancer. Is that higher than the general population? No, he says its the same. How would he feel if it was suggested he removed a healthy prostate or testical to avoid future cancer. Sometimes I get the impression that they think that removing all our gynecological organs is the one sure way of solving all our gynecological probems and they will never have to see us again. If we end up in the heart clinic or suffering from oesteoporosis well that is not their department. Don't get me wrong if you have indications of cancer or chronic conditions like endo then it is a different story but healthy organs are being removed every day that leave women with untold problems that could have been avoided. You have to make your own decision as to what is best for you as if you leave it to them 9 times out of 10 they will take everything if you are over 40.
Unread 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Cervix too?

I was determined to keep my cervix from everything that I had heard. But after talking to my Dr., I had it removed. Everything is the same since before the surgery. No complaints!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register