Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24 Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24

Unread 08-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24

I'm new to this site. My gyn doc recommended this for support, information, camaraderie etc., which I really need because the hubby is clueless to what's going on, and most of my friends in my community are my age (or younger), haven't experienced peri-menopause (I'm there now), and several are pregnant. Being 36, I'm going through things that none of my local peers understand... I have a history of severe endometriosis with pain that's sent me to hospital, multiple miscarriages, and about a couple handfuls of fibroids that are increasingly painful and have grown recently. Some of my friends are supportive and others think that a hysterectomy is drastic. I've tried the Mirena IUD which helped a bit with the endo, but not anymore...HRT's, pain killers (rx and over the counter), nutrition, yoga, meditation...all of these attempts haven't really resulted in any true relief from the constant pain etc. that I'm in. I have missed work, been short-tempered with people I love, and missed out on activities that I love because of pain and discomfort. I want a better quality of life, where pain and emotions aren't constantly nagging. OK, enough rambling for now 😉. Suggestions, support etc. welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Re: Newbie Here

I think that because there was a time when it seemed like Drs recommended hysterectomy as a first and only course of action, people can tend to think that it's questionable. Truly, I told almost no one before my surgery. My husband of course, only one sister (who was sworn to secrecy) just in case something went wrong, my s.i.l. Who is a dr because I had gotten some advice from her. That was it. I therefore didn't get any unwanted advice, I also didn't want to talk about it because I was super nervous, and not telling people helped with that too. I didn't even tell my parents until I was home from the hospital. I found that this worked very well for me
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Sounds like you have come to terms with your awareness and feelings! I guess we 'hurt' and stay in pain til we are done hurting! Congrats on making a very sensible decision to go on with your surgery. I see it is scheduled for Sept 24. You are the important one, and even tho some might disapprove, you have to take care of you first!
Take care, congrats, and I'll be sending good thoughts and hugs your way!
c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
I think that because there was a time when it seemed like Drs recommended hysterectomy as a first and only course of action, people can tend to think that it's questionable. Truly, I told almost no one before my surgery. My husband of course, only one sister (who was sworn to secrecy) just in case something went wrong, my s.i.l. Who is a dr because I had gotten some advice from her. That was it. I therefore didn't get any unwanted advice, I also didn't want to talk about it because I was super nervous, and not telling people helped with that too. I didn't even tell my parents until I was home from the hospital. I found that this worked very well for me
Thank you for the note. I've told a few close friends. My parent are super supportive, mom had similar problems...she's actually going to fly out to help take care of me post-op!
Unread 08-27-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagenta View Post
Sounds like you have come to terms with your awareness and feelings! I guess we 'hurt' and stay in pain til we are done hurting! Congrats on making a very sensible decision to go on with your surgery. I see it is scheduled for Sept 24. You are the important one, and even tho some might disapprove, you have to take care of you first!
Take care, congrats, and I'll be sending good thoughts and hugs your way!
c
Thank you so much! I'm trying to come to terms, have my off moments though. Yours is coming up soon, eh? What type of procedure will you have? I wish you well too.
Unread 08-27-2015, 11:33 PM

Yes, my surgery is Sept 1. I'll have a hysterectomy/sacrocolpexy/sling. I waver between being confident and brave, and then turn around and feel like a scared, needy child!! I'll keep myself busy this week cleaning the house, especially bathrooms, and change bedding. And fix me up a special place to sit and relax.
take care!
c
Unread 09-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagenta View Post
Yes, my surgery is Sept 1. I'll have a hysterectomy/sacrocolpexy/sling. I waver between being confident and brave, and then turn around and feel like a scared, needy child!! I'll keep myself busy this week cleaning the house, especially bathrooms, and change bedding. And fix me up a special place to sit and relax.
take care!
c
I hope you're doing well. Take care!
Unread 09-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24

Hi, thanks for the well wish. It is over! Surgery took almost 5 hrs, and I was in recovery for almost that long. The surgeon said she had lots of things to do, which is why surgery took longer than expected. I kept falling back asleep and they couldn't get me to stay awake. Finally I starting 'coming around'. I stayed overnight. Home now, but lots of pain. Hubs picked up my pain meds. Right now I am sooooo dopey!
Thanks again for the well wish. Hopefully I see you in post-op, after your Sept 24 surgery.
Take care
colleen
Unread 09-13-2015, 05:21 PM

How are things now? My date was changed to the 22nd so just over a week away. Getting nervous!
Hope you're doing well.
Kristin

QUOTE=operamagenta;4656343]Hi, thanks for the well wish. It is over! Surgery took almost 5 hrs, and I was in recovery for almost that long. The surgeon said she had lots of things to do, which is why surgery took longer than expected. I kept falling back asleep and they couldn't get me to stay awake. Finally I starting 'coming around'. I stayed overnight. Home now, but lots of pain. Hubs picked up my pain meds. Right now I am sooooo dopey!
Thanks again for the well wish. Hopefully I see you in post-op, after your Sept 24 surgery.
Take care
colleen[/quote]
Unread 09-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24

Good to hear from you again! The 22nd will be here before you know. I remember 'waiting' and waiting....as my surgery seemed SO far off. Then, all of a sudden the day came and hubs was driving me to the hospital. It goes quick. Once they check you in, and get you in a nice warm gown and cute socks, it goes quick. I remember answering a bunch of medical questions and talking to the anesthesiologist, and then being rolled into the operating room. The anesthesiologist said hello again, and said to 'breathe'.....and all of a sudden I was waking up in the recovery room!!! They will take good care of you!

I am doing good, recovering as expected. I'm off pain meds now, and am fighting the gas and bm's like everyone else! It's getting better tho.
Take care, and keep in touch. Be sure to post in the 'post op' forum!
Warm hugs....see you 'on the other side'.!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register