Scheduled TVH Can't focus on getting ready... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't focus on getting ready... Can't focus on getting ready...

Unread 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Can't focus on getting ready...

I have read all the pre-op articles and information, just received my 10 day checkpoint email yesterday, info really has helped, but I just can't seem to focus on getting prepared for this!

I am really anxious, feeling a little weepy. I have made lists, "started" to clean the house a million times, got meat out of the freezer to be ready for freezer meals, but I just keep ending up staring off into space and stressing out. I can't seem to think of anything except the surgery.

I am terrified the day is going to come and I am going to have NOTHING DONE!

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with dealing with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Re: Can't focus on getting ready...

Just take one thing and do it at a time. I know when my dad was getting ready for his surgery there was a lot we had to do to Prep the house. I was not as worried as I would/will be with me being the one to be going in, but what helped me to keep my mind on what I needed to do and not get distracted was music.

I can't sing for squat but to clean the house I put on my iPod and danced and sang as I dusted and did the floors, moved things around so he would have room with his walker. My daughter helped me and though I will flatly disavow every saying this, Hanna Montana songs are fun to rock to and clean house. More than anything my daughter thought I was cool for listening to her music.
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Don't have kids, so have never heard Hanna Montana but your secret is safe with me! But just downloaded a bunch of disco tunes on my MP3 and am headed to clean the kitchen.

Thanks for the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Packer, I went to my GYN one afternoon because I was having abnormal bleeding and he said, "You have to go to the hospital right now." I had no time to prepare anything at home or pack a bag. He ordered a wheelchair and I was wheeled across the parking garage from his office to the hospital! After I was settled in, I called my DH (who had taken my DD to her softball game in another town) and said, "Umm, when the game is over, you need to bring me my toothbrush, contacts case and solution, and glasses. I'm at the castle in ICU."

You will be fine, even if you get nothing done before your surgery! Housework will wait. Meals can be spontaneous.

It's amazing how resilient we can be when we have to!

Best of luck, and try not to worry! (Your hyster is on my birthday! I'm having foot surgery on my birthday, too, and my house isn't all spic-and-span either! And shhh! Don't tell my principal, but I haven't written substitute plans yet either!)
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM

I agree with trying not to worry about getting everything done. I have had two weeks to get ready and I don't think I would be ready if I had another two weeks. Focusing is a problem, so I really understand that!
I have finally decided that if, today, I can get my living room and kitchen decent enough to have visitors, I will have done well! My main priority is getting the bed ready to climb into tomorrow when I get home. (I am having a LSH/BSO at 9AM tomorrow)
My DH has told me that there may be a pile of "non-essential" laundry waiting for when I am up to doing it, but not to worry about clothes as "we all know how to turn on the washing machine". As for meals, I was told "Have you ever seen anyone in this family go hungry? You know we can AWAYS find something to eat. "
So, I would not let all the things that "should" be done get to you if they're still undone when you leave for the castle. I promise you, the world will not come to a screeching halt if there are no meals done up in the freezer or all the laundry is not done.
Stop, take a big deep breath, let it out slowly, try to relax, and remember, sometimes you have to put yourself first. This is one of those times!
Unread 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Although I had good intentions of freezing meals ahead, cleaning, and perfectly arranging my recovery area, between my job and my pain I got absolutely nothing done. I developed a mantra that I repeated many times: "Not my problem, not my problem." What has to be done will get done, and your job is to pamper yourself and ignore the mess.
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Wow, I can relate. I have such a busy week before my TAH next Tuesday. Tonight is my son's confirmation, Satureday is his Junior Prom (he's on court). So court and their parents are suppse to help decorate. And I still haven't gotten my recovery room ready. All I ever want to do is come to this web sight and read what all of you have to say. Thank goodness I work well under pressure. Don't worry packer26 the day will come and you will be just fine with whatever you do or don't have ready. Just remember afterwards to get all the rest you can. Whatever was not done before hand will wait for you or someone else can take care of it.
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM

Just do what you can. I did alot, but that's how I deal with stress. There were things I thought of at the last minute, but it was too late and I had to just say "OH WELL"!!

The other posts are correct: things will wait! One of the hardest parts of the recovery is your house looking bad and things not getting done as you do them. It's all part of it.

Try to relax and keep the big picture in mind. All my best to you!
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:02 AM

When I was making meals before my surgery, I just made a double recipe. That way, I could freeze one recipe, as we ate the other. I found it easier to prepare meals that way. I was cutting things up for supper anyways, it didn't take much longer to cut a few extras. I would not suggest this to anyone, but in the five weeks I had between my appointment, and my surgery, DH and I painted nearly the entire main floor of our house!! (we have a bungalow, so that was alot of wall) We finished putting our bedroom together the day before my surgery. However, the painting, and ideas for decorating kept my mind off of the surgery, which helped alot.
When I got home, I learned to look the other way alot. My DH was a doll, and did so much! He even cleaned bathrooms! However, he did things quite a bit differently than I did. Doesn't mean it's wrong, just different. Learn to let the little things go. If anyone visits you, there are there for you, not your house. If they make any mention of things being out of place, ask them to help put it to rights!

Good luck with your surgery, and your recovery. Sending you best wishes!
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who is turning in circles. I called my best friend and asked her if she would come and finish what I didn't get done. So while I am in the Castle my house will get finished and I am trying not to stress. Good luck to you. See you on the other side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register