anyone feel like canceling?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone feel like canceling?? anyone feel like canceling??

Unread 02-09-2004, 02:53 PM
anyone feel like canceling??

HI

Just thought I would throw in my . I have come to realize that I think our uterus and ovaries hear that we are planning to evict them so they decide they had better behave and maybe we won't boot them out . I used to be in constant daily pain before my hyst and ironically the last 3 weeks I rarely had pain. I had alot of second thoughts but made sure to remember WHY i had even considered this surgery. Now almost 4 1/2 months post op I definently think my surgery was the best thing I've ever done!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 03:13 PM

I had my TVH on 1-14 and thought about cancelling many times. And as many of you stated the last period wasn't as bad. I am almost 4 weeks post op and feeling great. I was off pain pills by 4 days post op and I am ready to go back to work next week. I think your feelings are very normal. This is a major surgery and wanting to know that you made the right decision is important. I haven't had any pain that is even close to the periods I had before my hyst, I haven't had to deal with the bleeding, the bloating the fatigue ( other than the regular post op feeling of being tired ) or any of the other symptons that plagued me for years before my hyst. Sit down and think about what has led you to this point. From my experience the waiting is the worst part of this whole ordeal.

Good luck in making your final decision.
Unread 02-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Yep me too.,

Wow, I thought I was the only one who wanted to back out (Surgery Feb. 12th) It's nice to know I'm not alone. As I posted in another thread, I don't have the disadvantage of bleeding anymore, and I don't experience any pain, but I do have some serious pre-cancerous cells, so the whole area has to be taken out. I was told/suggested to have a hysterectomy years ago when the heavy periods, cramping 24/7, etc. was going on, but I kept putting it off. Well now I can't. I've also been freaking about about the gas problem since I NEVER do that, even in front of the dog, LOL but I know I have to, and have accepted that. If that's the most of my probs, I'm doing great!!

Hang in there gals., we're gonna get thru this, you just wait and see. We'll be on the other side supporting in the post-op forum

LorONT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 03:19 PM

I cancelled my TAH due to a vacation I had planned for a year. Then I had the worst period ever and my fibroids seem to have grown even more, to the point where they poke out above my belly button. So I rescheduled, and I am so glad.

And I am still going on vacation, I'm traveling to Japan at just over 5 weeks post-op. As long as I don't overdo during recovery, my Dr. and her staff say I will be fine! And DH is handling all the luggage.

It is so scary at first, and I thought that since I had gone so long without surgery what was 3 more months? 3 more months!! I don't think I could stand 3 more days now, lucky I don't have to.
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
[

I am having a TVH keeping ovaries. What about you?

Tonya in NC [/b]
I am having TAH, keeping my ovary, left one already gone. My best friend came over today and sat with me I am still scared and still don't really know what to do. I have spoke with a few women at church that have had a hyst and they all say they feel much better. My original reason for wanting the hyst was due to fatigue. I am 30lbs overweight and started working out at curves. My mil was going with me and she was feeling great, losing weight and I was so tired I could hardly do anything. I was very tired before, but thought if I got in shape I would feel better. My dr suggested a hyst after my last D&C last May, but I was not ready. I have had discomfort in my back and abdomen for quite some time but thought that was also due to being overweight. My dr thinks I have adenomyosis due to my symptoms and he said my uterus was "boggy" when he did my lap back in 2000. He says he cannot guarantee this will be the cure for all my problems, but he "feels" that it will. I guess without knowing for sure has me scared. What if I go through all of this and still come out the same? ....or worse??? thank you for all your replys...it is nice to know I am not alone in this. I guess when we read the bad stuff it is what we concentrate on......how about some great stories!!!
thank you all again
chele.
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:28 PM

I am glad that you posted. I have put off the first potential date that I had which was Dec. 12, 2003. Now my tentative date is April 2, 2004 and yes, I have looked for reasons to post-pone again. For instance, the rollercoasters that will be calling in August/September, I wonder if a swelly belly will keep me from riding? I have put this off for so long that now Mother Nature is deciding for me. The last straw(and this is VERY embarrassing)---the landlord had to snake the sewer lines for a blockage that kept backing up---what he found was tampons in the line--I am not saying this to be gross or graphic but it is the truth
My time has come to not put it off any longer--my health and now my pride need me to do this. I understand that you want to back out but Mother Nature has her own plans, either now or later--hang in there, we will be just fine
Unread 02-09-2004, 08:04 PM

Hi.....you're not alone here....i'm scheduled for my TAH in 3 wks...and am afraid also....but i know it's the best thing for me in the long run. I think for many of us, that fear kicks in just before the surgery....but i have to say, reading this website on a daily basis has given me lots of strength and courage.....These girls here are simply wonderful!!!!
It's normal to have second thoughts and be afraid....but if you have to have it done...don't look back...just look forward.....i believe we all have this surgery to be healthier and better than what we were.....
God bless......
Tiggy
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:19 PM

I'm not canceling - too many nights asking God to just let me die, the pain was so bad.

My pre-op is tomorrow - surgery on Friday 13th, I'm 99 % sure I'm ready - but I'm scared -- of the after stuff -- I live alone, and plan to come home alone, one of my sisters is going to stay with me at night -- but my boyfriend (i'm 45, he's 50, can't we come up with another adjective for boyfriend at this age) wants me to come to his house after I get out of the hospital but I'm like, I'm probably mostly going to be sleeping (but I'm Type A - so maybe not) but if i'm gassy and constipated -- I think I'd rather be home.

How do you post your problems without typing them in every time?

not sure what I'm having yet -- definitely uterus and both ovaries going - not sure yet about abdominal or vaginal or cervix - excruciating pain reason for hysterectomy

Best of luck to all
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:41 PM

Ladies, as you have seen, what you are feeling is very normal in the waiting time!!! It is very normal to question it all, out of the fear of the unknown!!! Usually when a woman and her doctor have come to the conclusion that a hysterectomy is the ONLY option left, they have exhausted all other options and endured years of female problems, or it is just one of those things where due to tumors...there is no choice! As has been stated here numerous times, a hysterectomy is not something to rush into. If you are doubting the necessity of it, then perhaps you should seek another opinion. However, if you are one of the ones that has endured YEARS of pain, bleeding....then it may very well be time. I think the stress of getting yourself prepared emotionally and physically really wears on you the last days before surgery, that part is normal!!! I know for me, I had endured years of problems and was tired of it!!! I just had to pick a time when I could put things on hold, or have help, so I could recover. I had my TAH/BSO 4 months ago. I now have more energy and feel SO much better than I had in yrs!!! I am glad I went through with it!!! What you need to do is seriously evaluate the reasons for your decision to have the hysterectomy in the first place~reguardless of how you feel today! You need to have discussed ALL options, fears and ?'s with your GYN and be comfortable with the decision. Hang out here in all the forums and you will find questions and answers you may not have thought of before!!! I think you will also find that you are not alone in feeling like canceling...alot of us have felt that way! I know you will find alot of and support here!!!
Best of luck to you in your days as a LIW...they truly are difficult days!!!!
Hugs,
Ronda
Unread 02-10-2004, 07:23 AM

Chele_4 - I had my TVH 4 weeks ago. My doc also suspected Adeno, but as I'm sure you are aware that is a condition that most often can not be diagnosed without a hyst. Not knowing for sure made this decision very difficult.

However, at 4 weeks post op I am already so glad that I went through with the surgery. I'm not yet 100% but feel 10 times better than before the hyst. My energy is coming back and other than some minor discomfort I feel much better. I had a real hard time the last week before my surgery and was very scared of the post op and questioned my decision. I spent days crying, my whole family was afraid to say anything to me because they didn't want to upset me.

I got a 2nd opinion and made list of pros and cons to help me be at peace before the surgery. This is a major surgery, but many of us have suffered for years with pain, bleeding and fatigue. So far the post op has not been bad at all. We are all different and there are complications that anyone of us can experience. But the anticipation was the worst part.

Good luck to all the LIW that posted here. All of us that have reached the other side have shared these feelings that you have right now and will support you however we can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register