Nerve or muscle damage? 3 wk post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nerve or muscle damage? 3 wk post op Nerve or muscle damage? 3 wk post op

Unread 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Nerve or muscle damage? 3 wk post op

Just curious if my symptoms are normal? TVH in 2001, 3 weeks ago had my ovaries and tubes removed, vertical abdominal incision. Having much pain on left side by groin area feels like a twisted /pinched muscle or nerve, on and off again pain. Can't stand more than 5 or 10 minutes, then intense pain, must hold the area and sit down quick and rest for a hour or more before it subsides. Also have numbing on left side of incision and very uncomfortable laying down flat on left side same area - pulling sensation. Anyone else experience this - is this normal 3 weeks post op??? I did set up an appointment to discuss with my gyn-oncologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 08:21 PM

I have heard of women having a variety of pains ranging from the pulling sensations to the numbness and shooting pains. I had lots of shooting pains where my ovaries were and still do occasionally have those. My Dr. felt they were normal nerve ending pains from the surgery. Mine were bothersome since they resembled my endo pains, but I never really had to lay down from them.
I hope your dr. feels these are normal for you and something that should be resolving soon.

Hope you feel bettersoon. Hang in there, dear.
Sending s,
Beth
Unread 03-10-2005, 01:12 AM

I have the same thing on my right side at 4 weeks post-op... It's getting better, though. I also had it with my last c-section. My gyn said, then, that it was due to the fact that my DD (1/2 of a set of twins and last to be delivered) had turned breech and he had to go in and turn her around. Apparently, when they really have to "get in there", it pulls the muscles and tendons on the inside of the legs up, sometimes pulling or spraining them. For the c-section, it was so bad that I was dragging my leg like I'd had a stroke... This time, I had to use my hands to help lift my right leg into bed. Now (4weeks out) it just feels kid of loose.

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 07:46 AM

Hi,

It's pretty common a few weeks after surgery for ladies to start having a sharp pain in one side or the other. This seems to be caused by the nerves in that area regenerating.

I remember after my surgery, I was miserable at about 4 1/2 weeks post-op for several days with right-sided, shooting pain I called zingers. A heating pad and ibuprofen helped a lot.

However, if the pain doesn't ease soon, it definitely wouldn't hurt to give your doctor a call, just to be on the safe side. Any new pain or unusual symptom should always be checked out by a physician.

The numbness is normal too. It's caused by nerves being cut in that area. Some ladies never regain full sensation in the area, but most do.

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Hi,
I was also having incredible pain and burning in same area by groin. I almost felt they "worked" on one side more. The burning subsided after a couple of weeks. The pain, pinching and pulling still occurs from time to time. I think it subsided about 3-4 weeks. Yesterday, I had my post op exam ( 5 1/2 weeks ), and I did mention this to my Dr. He said its nerve endings related. It could go on for some time, as well as the numbness. At this point, even doing some stretching he told me, will not cause injury. It does get better, and it feels good when it does...
Unread 03-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks it's good to know that what I am feeling even though extreme at some times may be just part of the healing process. I'm still going to see the Dr to ensure there isn't something else we can do to enable me to endure.
Unread 03-25-2005, 08:17 PM

Still in pain 5 1/2 weeks post opt called dr. office will be having a Catscan tomorrow morning to find out why I am still in so much pain on my left side. No change since my original post on the 10th!!! Does anyone know what they will be looking for I'm having a abdominal and pevic CT.
Unread 03-26-2005, 07:55 AM

Hi Johnjl,

You poor thing. I'm sorry you're still having these pains. Sometimes I think tests are for ruling out any cause more than they are for suspecting to find something. This gets to be one of those mixed blessing areas where you don't want anything to show up, but then again, you'd hope they'd find what's causing the pain so it can be fixed. I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon. Please let us know what you find out.

s, Beth
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:44 PM

I was told for my CT they were looking for a pelvic abscess, blood pooling, a mass on vag. cuff ( a sm. abscess on cuff, where they would just remove a stitch and drain it) , any instruments left behind, anything that isn't normal or that is suspicious. I am sure there's more, or that they put these things in a better way, but this is what my wee lil brain remembers.

I know how you feel. I just had my 2nd. After 1st one I was shocked that they admitted me. 2nd I had hoped they would find something easily remedy. Nothing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register