New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed? New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed?

Unread 07-16-2014, 07:20 AM
New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed?

I'm scheduled for surgery RALH Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Hysterectomy on Aug 12, 2014
I have a fibroids on my Uterus, The largest fibroid is on the outside of my uterus, on my bladder causing me to pee all the time. I'm not having any bleeding or heavy periods.
My Uterus is enlarged so they want to remove it. . I'm keeping my cervix and ovaries.
I'm wondering if they remove the fibroid, if my uterus will go back to normal. Does it really need to be removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Re: New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed?

There are several different treatment options out there for fibroids that are less invasive than hysterectomy. Whether they are right for you depends on the size of both the uterus and the fibroids themselves as well as location only a doctor or interventional radiologist who specializes in the alternatives can tell you if you qualify.
Options include: UFE/UAE, focused ultrasound, Acessa and then of course myomectomy.
The first three can destroy smaller fibroids in theory but larger ones they just shrink (but the fibroids are dead so they can't grow anymore). As my doctor told me shrinkage is usually enough to alleviate the symptoms.

I encourage you to do some research on your different options and get a second opinion. The first GYN wanted me to have a hysterectomy and actually argued/berated me when I said I didn't want one. The second GYN is taking a short wait and see approach and the third wants to schedule me for Acessa in the next few months. He is already working on insurance approval for me even though he knows I have a fourth appt in August with a 4th GYN and IR to discuss the final options.
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Re: New sister needs advice: fibroids - does my uterus really need to be removed?

Have you gotten 2nd opinions? It really depends on what that particular doc can do for you. 5 months ago, I thought hysterectomy was my only choice, bec I was told I had "so many" fibroids. (I have 4). Then I went to consult w a high-volume gyn/onc surgeon. This is a different specialty than your normal OB/gyn. He called my case "boring" (in a good way) & recommended myomectomy. I stopped thinking I needed a hysterectomy.

I read really good advice on another group-- someone recommended whenever a doc says something, you put "in my hands" in front of it. As in, "in my hands, your fibroids are too big for laparoscopic". Etc. It puts a whole new spin on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Hi HS,

I agree that second opinion is order!! Yes, the uterus will heal and go back to normal after the fibroids are removed. You can read some about it here: http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/...-swiss-cheese/

I had 28 fibroids successfully removed about 9 and a half weeks ago, and my surgeon said that eve in the O.R. my uterus already looked SO much more normal after she got all those fibroids out and my uterus was sutured back up.
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM

I showed to have one fibroid and there were multiple. Fibroids often accompany other disorders of the uterus. Did you ask if you had anything else wrong ? Hormonal and anti inflammatory treatment didn't work for me, but I had severe adeno, so they chose to take the uterus. But my periods were awful and was having almost daily pain. Always ask alot of questions, so you can make a good decision. I Wanted a definitive treatment, didnt want to keep going back for more treatments in future yrs. I'm six months out and doing pretty good. I don't regret my surg loving my life again!
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Thanks for your advice. It's good to hear all your great advice. I'm looking for a second opinion.
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Glad to hear that, LeezaAB!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register