Oh Lord Help Me How Do I Get Ready!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh Lord Help Me How Do I Get Ready!!!! Oh Lord Help Me How Do I Get Ready!!!!

Unread 01-05-2001, 10:51 AM
Oh Lord Help Me How Do I Get Ready!!!!

My Surgery Is On 1/17 I Don't No Where To Start To Get
Ready For This My House Is A Wreck! Where Do I Start, Do I Make Food Before Hand So My Family can Just Warm It Up Do I Need To Buy Any Thing That Makes It Easyer I'am Just Nerves And Confused My Hubbys No help And My Son Is 9 Years And I don't No What to Do With Him I Can't Belive Its Going So Fast I Keep Telling My self Iam Ready For This Then Why Do I Feel Like this?:'(
[Edited by Miam on 01-05-2001]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2001, 01:25 PM

You're worried it sounds like! Have you tried making a list of the things you need to do? You can keep track and cross things off as you go. Remember you can't do everything, and no one will keel over if it isn't all done.
They may act like it, but they do survive.

My house is a mess, I have to reschedule an orthodontic appointment, get the girls to theirs, get the taxes done on my home business, take care of the hubby and two teenage daughters and still see family. Then there are the regular, everyday things.(Did I mention I have 7 cats??)

I'm not prepared, but I am making slow progress.
Have you considered finding a neighbor or friend, family member to check in, as you *rest*?
Cooking now and freezing things and showing them how to do laundry, reheating foods, etc. is a must. Rest is very important, you won't be able to do your regular routine.

I can't wait to see my sweety iron his clothes! Betcha he tries to pay my 15yr old to do it!

Unread 01-05-2001, 02:22 PM

You are to funny lol I have to step children ages 13&15
and yes I Can Relate my hubby will try to pay them off I can Picture It but he wont ask them to make coffee he tried that once not a pretty picture hey the list thing that sounds like a great idea Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2001, 03:20 PM

Miam - Take some deep breaths...you're getting the pre-op jitters...we've all had them. Step one - get your list going. Mark on there what you'd like to get done before surgery...put it all down...then take a break - drink some hot tea a cup of coffee or whatever makes you feel comfortable. Then look back at that HUGE list and ask yourself...what's important and what's not...then start scratching things off that can wait.

I didn't make a bunch of stuff to freeze before surgery. I love to cook and it would not of been a problem...but since Stouffers, Mrs. Butterworth and all the other countless names of people have already done this and can be purchased at your local grocery in the freezer section...that's what I did. There's also some great microwave foods that aren't frozen that you can store in the pantry...so go for convenience there!!!

Stash some cash back for the nights when everyone is sick of frozen foods...and let dh take the kids for fast food treat and bring you something back.

Clean your house just enough to keep you satisfied...get your recovery room at home the way you want it since that's where you'll be spending most of your time. Don't try to do major cleaning...it justs gets dirty again...and you'll wear yourself out.

Purchase the things you'll need post op..like comfy clothes, extra size undies, thank you cards..and have it all ready.

Pack your bag for hospital...you won't need a lot...slip on slippers, robe, toiletries, something comfy to ride home in (I wore baggie cotton gown and robe), lip balm/chapstick, tummy pillow, pads etc.

Above all...try to relax..I know it's hard and when things start to overwhelm us...we tend to just freak. Take everything one step at a time...pace yourself..do the important things first...if you get them done and still have time...do some of the other things. If not let them wait.

We'll be here with you every step of the way.

Unread 01-05-2001, 03:29 PM

I'm with Dot. You should put your feet up and rest a bit. I didn't get much time (a week) to really prepare for my surgery. My first priority pre-op was to line things up at work. As soon as that was done, I thought about things at home. I began my creating my post-op nest--that is, a collection of the things I'd need. Examples: comfy short nightgowns, slippers that were easy to get into, and a body pillow. Then I rounded up things to keep my mind occupied post-op because I'm not good at resting. Examples: books, videos, a journal (which I've used a lot), favorite CDs. Other priorities included explaining to my 13 year old son what would be happening and what to expect my recovery to be like. I should have done the same for my 24 year old stepson. It was a mistake to assume he'd understand without going through the details at the same level I'd done for the younger! I didn't prepare meals for the freezer. I wanted to, but was exhausted and knew I needed to try to get some pre-op rest. Instead, I swallowed my pride and asked friends if they'd bring in meals for the first 4 days I was home post-op. They were great and really came through for me. DH cleaned for me pre-op so that I could try to rest and calm down (I was a complete bundle of anxiety). The only thing that didn't get cleaned that's bothered me since was the bathtub.

Take a warm bath, listen to some good music and try to relax. It's true that the waiting is more stressful than the recovery!
Unread 01-05-2001, 04:54 PM
Relax

I had my surgery Dec 20 so I had to prepare for Christmas too and I have 2 small children. I waited until the last 2 days to clean my house, i really went into the nesting thing because I knew if I didnt do everything i wanted to be done that it would drive me nuts while I recover, thats just the way I am I do not like things out of order. So the night before my surgery I cleaned all night long! I am by no means recomending this, its just that I couldnt sleep, I was nervous, and I clean when I am nervous. Now that I look back I had nothing to be nervous about. And now my house looks very lived in again, but it was nice to come home to a very clean house. And I figured I was going to get plenty of rest after my surgery and i was right. Your family needs to know that you really need them now and I did not prepare meals ahead of time my dh has been quite sufficient in that dept. But if that makes you comfortable then right out a list of casseroles, stews, soups, and the chicken and veggies tossed in a foil wrap and baked is a real easy thing and meatloaf and spaghetti and lasagna is great easy freezer things. And maybe find and make out recipes that will be easy for your family to make. My 9 yr old ( with parental sv) makes a killer mac,cheese, hotdog, and peas casserole you just mix those things together, and it is yummy. Also I got those clorox wipes and put them in the bathroom so the family just wipes it down when it needs be. Just dont leave your home in a state where when you get home it is going to drive you crazy, if you are one of those people, like me.
Take Care and good luck!
Unread 01-05-2001, 05:31 PM

Miam: Take a deep breath. It's probably a good thing that you did'nt have a long time to prepare for this. I had 5 months to prepare & still had all of the same concerns you are having the week before. Just do the things that seem the most important to you & have faith in your family to take care of the rest. I have 2 boys(4&7) & they & my DH really made me proud at how they handled everything. The one thing I splurged on, was to pay someone to come the day before my surgery & clean my house. It was so wonderful to be able to come home from work that day & relax with my family the night before the BIG DAY! A friend from work sent dinner to my house that night so I was good & spoiled.It was also nice to come home from the hospital to a clean house. i had planned on doing all the cooking & freezing before hand too, but didnt. It was just much easier(&actually more enjoyable) for them to fix quick things they liked. Just made sure I had a well stocked frig. & pantry. Like Dot said, just concentrate on getting all your items ready & dont forget the Gas X & laxatives!!!!!!!! I was prepared for the worst & Promise all the worry was for nothing. You will be in my thoughts & prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register